Stones need to be rethought

AgroDude

Re: Stones need to be rethought

Post by AgroDude »

Shintai wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:44 am
DirectCedar wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:49 pm
Shintai wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:45 pm You are right, but I doubt Giants will make a dynamic bucket for stones as everything they do have a static design. Maybe a modder will fix it.
What's a dynamic bucket?
Imagine a field have a certain percentage of stone, untreated it is 100%. When you work on the field with a plow, cultivator etc. You have a chance to get rocks. In the start you are 100% certain to get rocks. Every time you lift up rocks, you lower the chance to get rocks in the future, however every season the field gets refilled with an RNG amount of stones.
This, because replayability becomes a problem if they only reduce to zero.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

AgroDude wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:35 pm
DirectCedar wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:49 pm

What's a dynamic bucket?
Imagine a field have a certain percentage of stone, untreated it is 100%. When you work on the field with a plow, cultivator etc. You have a chance to get rocks. In the start you are 100% certain to get rocks. Every time you lift up rocks, you lower the chance to get rocks in the future, however every season the field gets refilled with an RNG amount of stones.
Or maybe stones only reload when the ground freezes? Frost-heave is the usual reason for stones to come to (towards) the surface around here. That way there's another reason to pay attention to the weather and the environment.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
AgroDude

Post by AgroDude »

blue_painted wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:40 pm
AgroDude wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:35 pm

Or maybe stones only reload when the ground freezes? Frost-heave is the usual reason for stones to come to (towards) the surface around here. That way there's another reason to pay attention to the weather and the environment.
Ahh yes! Ties in nicely with the winter season of FS22! *thumbsup*
Dreiviertel

Post by Dreiviertel »

AgroDude wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:33 pm I like it! There is a bug with weeds vs. methods of cultivation, but stones are working well!

If you don't like them, turn them off. Don't break an interesting mechanic for the rest of us....
The problem is, I turned them off and they still appear now and then after cultivating. Thats not exactly "stones are working well!" imho.
Wenn er mal groß ist, will ich so sein wie ich.
[Ralph Wiggum]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS5 Farmer
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

There's a reason we have a toggle for various aspects of gameplay - it's to turn them off if we don't like them. There's no requirement to use every feature of the game. I didn't like the way weeds worked in FS19, so I turned them off. There's a much better implementation of them in 22, one that I actually enjoy, so naturally I've left them on this time. Stones are in their first iteration, and they feel like they were implemented as an afterthought for no real gain other than to have some additional manufacturers and equipment onboard. I'm sure they'll tweak them eventually, either with patches or for FS24, and maybe then I will find this aspect as entertaining and valuable to my enjoyment as I do all others.

Dreiviertel wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:32 pm The problem is, I turned them off and they still appear now and then after cultivating. Thats not exactly "stones are working well!" imho.
Obvious bug. Report it via the bugtracker.
Dreiviertel

Post by Dreiviertel »

It is already reported / Giants knows about that.
Wenn er mal groß ist, will ich so sein wie ich.
[Ralph Wiggum]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS5 Farmer
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Shintai wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:44 am Imagine a field have a certain percentage of stone, untreated it is 100%. When you work on the field with a plow, cultivator etc. You have a chance to get rocks. In the start you are 100% certain to get rocks. Every time you lift up rocks, you lower the chance to get rocks in the future, however every season the field gets refilled with an RNG amount of stones.
Gotcha. Is that an actual computer science term? Just wondering, not criticizing. I know comp sci uses some lingo that seems weird to outsiders.
I'm a terrible coder.
AgroDude

Post by AgroDude »

RNG = Random Number Generator. The context in which it is used here is actually gaming lingo for randomly computed quantities within a game. You see expressions like "playing the RNG" to mean you're basically playing a lottery hoping to get a favorable outcome (no, it's not gambling).
AgroDude

Post by AgroDude »

Dreiviertel wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:32 pm
AgroDude wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:33 pm I like it! There is a bug with weeds vs. methods of cultivation, but stones are working well!

If you don't like them, turn them off. Don't break an interesting mechanic for the rest of us....
The problem is, I turned them off and they still appear now and then after cultivating. Thats not exactly "stones are working well!" imho.
I missed that part. My bad.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

AgroDude wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:01 pm RNG = Random Number Generator. The context in which it is used here is actually gaming lingo for randomly computed quantities within a game. You see expressions like "playing the RNG" to mean you're basically playing a lottery hoping to get a favorable outcome (no, it's not gambling).
Yes. I know what a Random Number Generator is. I was asking about "dynamic bucket", which is what we were talking about. I'm not being sassy, just clarifying.
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

DirectCedar wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:10 am
AgroDude wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:01 pm RNG = Random Number Generator. The context in which it is used here is actually gaming lingo for randomly computed quantities within a game. You see expressions like "playing the RNG" to mean you're basically playing a lottery hoping to get a favorable outcome (no, it's not gambling).
Yes. I know what a Random Number Generator is. I was asking about "dynamic bucket", which is what we were talking about. I'm not being sassy, just clarifying.
A bucket is usually referred to as a buffer.
weidermark

Post by weidermark »

Fordimus wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:40 pm Stones popping up with ridge markers is a known issue. I submitted a bug report like the day it came out lol, I've been told it will be fixed in the next patch
yes there seems to be several problems with the direct drills at the moment, if i read the info correctly about them they should not spawn stones at all, for me i got both big and small stones on my field without the ridge markers,let's hope they fix every problem with them, otherwise i love the stone mechanics.
Robbin70

Post by Robbin70 »

For me the biggest issue are this:
Her in south of Sweden we use most of the time wheel/front loaders with stone grip! This is a MISSING tool.
we nearly ever uses stone picker machines (unless some times planting potato and rear cases beats in stone rich regions).

Regarding amount of stones i believe it should be in some case be differentiated form region to region on a map(maybe in some kind of map stone-density layer).
In some regions her in south of Sweden specially near pebble sauces are rich with stone and are almost like in the game where new stones appears every session. But we also often have minus degrees winter time helping the stones to rise. but wee also have regions where almost newer stones appear.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

Here is my issues with the way stones are implemented:
  • Farmers do not rock pick entire fields, they spot pick rocks where they come up. It should be the standard practice to run around the field picking up stones here and there, not treating it like another cultivation pass.
  • Rocks should diminish over time, not constantly come up in the same volume
  • Rocks should be tied to soil type. There are areas in the world that have rocks and other areas that have basically none.