Stones need to be rethought

supaman8472

Stones need to be rethought

Post by supaman8472 »

The idea of stones needs to be rethought. Stones should not reappear with a ridge marker after being collected. Also, with stones being collected they should appear less and smaller the more they are collected. I'm not sure where exactly to leave feedback and weather or not Giants is willing to do an update but stones don't work how they have it. Like was mentioned they should appear less and smaller over time and can increase if you don't collect. Please, mention what you think.
FarmCatJenkins

Re: Stones need to be rethought

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

I think you are right. Also welcome to the forum. Here is the link to Giants public bugtracker

https://feedback.giants-software.com/

They have a pretty quick turnaround from what I've seen in responding to issues.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

You are right, but I doubt Giants will make a dynamic bucket for stones as everything they do have a static design. Maybe a modder will fix it.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Shintai wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:45 pm You are right, but I doubt Giants will make a dynamic bucket for stones as everything they do have a static design. Maybe a modder will fix it.
What's a dynamic bucket?
player1s

Post by player1s »

I have them turned on because realism but also use a disc harrow because I dont want to deal with them too much.
If I happen to have to plow, I'll collect them.

The basic idea is good, needs refinement which we'll hopefully see in the future with a patch or the next FS. (I'm still hoping Giants follow SCS' footsteps)
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

If you take the issue of stones by themselves then yes they are a pain.

However the more I play the game the more I see how they have been integrated in quite clever ways. What I like about many of the changes in 22 are the way in which downsides are always balanced with benefits, and I see the stones issue as part of that balancing.

The deeper you cultivate, the fewer weeds you get. But the downside is more stones. Cultivate using harrows and you avoid dragging up stones, but the downside will be more weeds. You can sell stones but you can't sell weeds.

If you leave the stones, then your machines wear faster which costs you more in maintenance. Heavy jobs like ploughing are likely to introduce more wear into the equation than lighter jobs like some forms of cultivation. The issue of stones becomes part of the machine repair problem - which itself is full of upsides and downsides.

So for example, if you are going to plough then you should make sure you have plenty of power overhead on the tractor. Otherwise you get both wear and stones. And of course 'overhead' costs!

Now, I'm not saying Giants got all of these things perfectly balanced first time around, and maybe there is a case for some tweaking of values.

My view is that Giants have done a lot of work on creating inter-dependencies between multiple factors. They may not be 100% realistic, but they have made for a better game. A game which requires a lot more choice, planning and strategy, where the best option is likely to be quite individual to your need/ budget at the time.
St1ll A Buster

Post by St1ll A Buster »

StoneTheCrows wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:01 pm If you take the issue of stones by themselves then yes they are a pain.

However the more I play the game the more I see how they have been integrated in quite clever ways. What I like about many of the changes in 22 are the way in which downsides are always balanced with benefits, and I see the stones issue as part of that balancing.

The deeper you cultivate, the fewer weeds you get. But the downside is more stones. Cultivate using harrows and you avoid dragging up stones, but the downside will be more weeds. You can sell stones but you can't sell weeds.

If you leave the stones, then your machines wear faster which costs you more in maintenance. Heavy jobs like ploughing are likely to introduce more wear into the equation than lighter jobs like some forms of cultivation. The issue of stones becomes part of the machine repair problem - which itself is full of upsides and downsides.

So for example, if you are going to plough then you should make sure you have plenty of power overhead on the tractor. Otherwise you get both wear and stones. And of course 'overhead' costs!

Now, I'm not saying Giants got all of these things perfectly balanced first time around, and maybe there is a case for some tweaking of values.

My view is that Giants have done a lot of work on creating inter-dependencies between multiple factors. They may not be 100% realistic, but they have made for a better game. A game which requires a lot more choice, planning and strategy, where the best option is likely to be quite individual to your need/ budget at the time.
Well said, I agree!
Farm Sim 22 Xbox Series S is my version.
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

Just through my two cents in here... For example last night I mulched a field and went straight into it with the 6m direct drill kverneland. I thought great that'll avoid any stones which it did but as soon as I put out the marker for the next bout cause I like playing realistically wham stones started appearing to my dread.
Nevermind they'll disappear when I roll it after finishing sowing. It is just a shallow marker anyway.... Right.
So in I go with the roller and off I go and not a single stone disappeared and at this point I thought really what a joke but nevermind I'll just collect them with the destoner so I hire a destoner and it won't pick them either!!!! So they'll remain there until harvest I guess.... Not happy though.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

FarmerJohn89 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:12 pm Just through my two cents in here... For example last night I mulched a field and went straight into it with the 6m direct drill kverneland. I thought great that'll avoid any stones which it did but as soon as I put out the marker for the next bout cause I like playing realistically wham stones started appearing to my dread.
Nevermind they'll disappear when I roll it after finishing sowing. It is just a shallow marker anyway.... Right.
So in I go with the roller and off I go and not a single stone disappeared and at this point I thought really what a joke but nevermind I'll just collect them with the destoner so I hire a destoner and it won't pick them either!!!! So they'll remain there until harvest I guess.... Not happy though.
Yes agree. That bit of the equation didnt work. My guess is they didnt intend it. Hopefully the small stones/ roller relationship will be fixed.
gilroy222

Post by gilroy222 »

The other thing I think needs mentioning too is the way the rock pickers themselves work. In real life those dengleman ones are meant to just pick up enormous boulders that are in certain spots, not just to go across the entire field. So therein lies the problem with so many rocks and why I agree with OP that there should be much less. The other thing is the other rock picker, I don't know if it functions like that in real life but we also get the cultivated state after picking rocks, which again, makes no sense when you're using the dengleman rock pickers. The side effect to this is that if you had a nice seedbed state already, then it goes back a step whenever you use the rock pickers because it goes back to regular cultivated state.
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

I had hoped that giants would incorporate ideas from Precision farming DLC where there would be stone maps that you'd discover from cultivating or ploughing which would show which areas of the field are stoney and you could farm accordingly to the soil type and stone types.
Fordimus

Post by Fordimus »

Stones popping up with ridge markers is a known issue. I submitted a bug report like the day it came out lol, I've been told it will be fixed in the next patch
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

Fordimus wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:40 pm Stones popping up with ridge markers is a known issue. I submitted a bug report like the day it came out lol, I've been told it will be fixed in the next patch
It's going to be one hell of a patch at this rate 🤣
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

DirectCedar wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:49 pm
Shintai wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:45 pm You are right, but I doubt Giants will make a dynamic bucket for stones as everything they do have a static design. Maybe a modder will fix it.
What's a dynamic bucket?
Imagine a field have a certain percentage of stone, untreated it is 100%. When you work on the field with a plow, cultivator etc. You have a chance to get rocks. In the start you are 100% certain to get rocks. Every time you lift up rocks, you lower the chance to get rocks in the future, however every season the field gets refilled with an RNG amount of stones.
AgroDude

Post by AgroDude »

I like it! There is a bug with weeds vs. methods of cultivation, but stones are working well!

If you don't like them, turn them off. Don't break an interesting mechanic for the rest of us.

Make it so ploughing resets the stone state? Cultivate as much as you like - stones reduce in frequency as they are removed (e.g. cultivate, stone, cultivate, stone, cultivate, less stone, cultivate, even less stone, etc.. 100 times in a row) until you get no stones, but plough? Stones are back.
Last edited by AgroDude on Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.