Accessibility feature request: volume levels

Moarcoffeeplz

Accessibility feature request: volume levels

Post by Moarcoffeeplz »

Hello,

I was referred to this forum by Chaki after the AMA on Reddit a few weeks ago. I have a hearing condition that is agitated by certain types of sounds. I enjoy playing FS and listening to the sounds, but some equipment (certain tractors, balers, and harvesters) cause my tinnitus to flare up so loudly I have to mute the entire game.

I was wondering if it is possible, either through a feature in the game or through mods, to change the volume level for specific pieces of equipment (I.e. more specific than the vehicle volume level in the settings). Maybe a button, volume slider, percentage chooser, for the currently occupied vehicle? Something like this would be really helpful to enjoy the game for longer periods of time.

Absolutely loving the game otherwise!
hpmc13

Re: Accessibility feature request: volume levels

Post by hpmc13 »

If you are on PC, I believe that you could edit the .xml files for the specific pieces of equipment that are causing your tinnitus flare up. As far as I know, you couldn't do so across an entire category of equipment, but I'm fairly sure that it could be done for individual pieces.

If you're on console, I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you.
Playing on PC
Moarcoffeeplz

Post by Moarcoffeeplz »

hpmc13 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:48 am If you are on PC, I believe that you could edit the .xml files for the specific pieces of equipment that are causing your tinnitus flare up. As far as I know, you couldn't do so across an entire category of equipment, but I'm fairly sure that it could be done for individual pieces.

If you're on console, I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you.
This is an interesting suggestion. I poked around the xml files on PC in my mods folder and found a few volume settings. I suppose I can toy with the settings to see if any make a difference.

Does the in-game equipment have editable xml files as well?
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

I would suggest a different approach if you'd prefer.
What you're describing as certain tractors, implements, etc could very well be certain frequencies.
You could try by yourself, using a graphical equalizer, to lower the band volumes which irritate you.
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

Does the in-game equipment have editable xml files as well?
As far as I know, they do. HOWEVER, if you change the in-game equipment in any (or any mods that you have downloaded) you will lose the ability to play on multiplayer since all of the equipment - in-game or otherwise - has to match exactly to whatever everyone else is using.

For me, the in-game equipment is under D:\Farming Simulator 22\data\vehicles\ then start looking under each brand name.

I think that george.earslight's suggestion is a good one, too.
Playing on PC