Shallow cultivation and stubble tillage state

StoneTheCrows

Shallow cultivation and stubble tillage state

Post by StoneTheCrows »

I haven't done much arable work so far. I am just about to overwinter a new field with oilseed radish, readying it for laying out a vineyard. I'm not too concerned about weeds because the oilseed will be mulched back into the ground before laying out the vines. So shallow cultivation seemed a good way to go.

I've spent about 2 hours trying to get my head around how to do this. The problem arose because (as I finally discovered) the combined seeder/ cultivators are not working as intended on harvested fields.

So, beginning with a mulched, oat stubble (golden, straw-like texture).

You cannot lime directly into this surface. It will use up your lime, but there is no white colouring and it will not reset the 'requires lime' state.

Use any shallow cultivator, disc or power harrow. Ground texture is light brown with straw bits, and the seed drill lines from the previous sowing are still visible. This gives you the 'stubble tillage' state.

Seed into this and you will get a 'growing' state. Ground texture is the same but a slightly darker brown and you still have the previous year's seed drill lines.

If you then roll the field, there is no change in its state, but you will get a change to the dark brown soil texture with new lines made by the roller.

If you roll before seeding you will get the 'seed bed' state, the dark brown texture and the new roller lines. I am guessing you will get the 2.5% rolling bonus because of the state change.

Apologies if you have already worked this out. It was confusing enough for me to think it was worth explaining for anyone else still scratching their heads over it.

As I said my initial confusion was because the combined seeder/ cultivators (Nordstrom HK25 and Kuhn HR4040 would neither cultivate or seed into the stubble).

Would appreciate comments particularly if you think I've still not got it straight.
fenixguy

Re: Shallow cultivation and stubble tillage state

Post by fenixguy »

If I understand correctly, you're wanting to put in radish for winter, then cultivate it, then put in grapes?

If so, here is how I'd do it. Shallow cultivate>drill radish>fertilize (if not using a drill with fert)>roll. Then in spring: lime>cultivate in the radish>put in grapes.

That's just a thought. I haven't messed with rolling or radishes yet so I don't know exactly how all of that is going to work together.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!