Storing Grapes?

NateS

Storing Grapes?

Post by NateS »

Am I missing something or am I very limited on what I can do with harvested grapes?

Once I harvest them (with the only harvester available), they must be dumped into a specific trailer that can only be used for grapes.

Once in said trailer, there is no shed/silo/container suitable for storing them. I must bring that trailer to a sale/production point and get whatever current market price is.

Only then can I return to the vineyard and refill my trailer.

Do I have this correct? Is this how it's done IRL? Are there real life storage solutions for grapes?

Also, I'm assuming these same storage issues would arise with Olives?
PC & PS4
deerefarm

Re: Storing Grapes?

Post by deerefarm »

I haven't tried anything with grapes yet, but I did buy the big trailer that can handle olives and filled it using the "multifruit" buying station mod - Then took them to the train stations to see if it would let me store them there. Sure enough it did. I'll let you know about grapes when I check.

Yep just did the same thing and took a load of grapes - you can store them at the train station. I think the only thing you can't use the train station for is cotton.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
NateS

Post by NateS »

Interesting. I didn't think of the train station for storage. I know in previous versions of the game we were charged a fee for storing in train silos overnight.
PC & PS4
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

I have over 300,000 L of potatoes and sugar beets stored there and tbh I don't know if they're charging me or not. If they are it doesn't show up as a separate item on the budget sheet.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
TMoSM

Post by TMoSM »

NateS wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:54 am Interesting. I didn't think of the train station for storage. I know in previous versions of the game we were charged a fee for storing in train silos overnight.
As far as I know they are free to store now, you only get charged when you "rent" the train.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

I know the starting farm silo should hold grapes, if it doesn't, that's a bug or maybe unintentional design.

Not sure how realistic you intend to be about your grape farm, but in real life, farmers don't hold onto grapes, they contract them out to buyers and take them to those buyers at a pre-arranged price when the buyer wants them. Grapes can't effectively be stored in real life, so the farmer picks the grapes when and how the buyers wants them.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Cromwell564

Post by Cromwell564 »

Kind of hard to store at a train station if you're on a map that doesn't have one. Looks like Giants had yet another fail.
YRII

Post by YRII »

need a mod for a large freezer
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

I grew up in McLaren Vale, and picked grapes as a teen. Grapes get picked, grapes get taken to buyer. I did get to ride along on a grape harvester one night, and they'd fill large bins with grapes until trucks would take them in the morning. The best I could think of would be an ITRunner sort of deal where you fill bins of grapes to put in a shed overnight, to be taken later. I do feel however, that grapes should rot if they're kept around for too long after being picked.
chaskuchar1

Post by chaskuchar1 »

grapes don't rot. they turn into wine or vinegar. used to raise grapes for wine. juice them and turn them into wine. miss that now. getting old slows me down.
60 acres with center pivot. jmj
playing fs22 on pc, hard mode
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

Unlike other productions which I feel are meant for mid-end game, the Grape Processing Unit is must for grapes - right away. Grapes by themselves have a terrible return, based on the vinecost and the dedicated equipment required to grow them. If you sink $500k into grapes which say includes $200k in vines which will net you maybe $25k/year in grape sales...best to immediately buy a GPU to increase the sales costs by a factor 2.3 - this is BY FAR the best productions building in the game, but not the best chain, as even grape juice doesn't have good ROI. Plus the GPU has a storage of 90k grapes, which will take enough grapes for a $1M vineyard. Thus the GPU solves your storage problems, including realism for grape long term storage, and more than doubles your return - and it will now take a bit less than 10 years to fully pay off the investment, rather than 20.
Sid1701d

Post by Sid1701d »

The preservation of grapes is to dry them as raisens, or juice them for grape juice which is sometimes called unfertminted wine. If the game didn't have to appeal to a rating system you could use the crops in more than one production system like wheat barely and oats can all be used in distrilias to make Beer, and grapes would have a wine production. All wine production and grape juice production the taste and quality is not the same as the type of grapes and the type climate depends on how sweat and bitter the production batch will be. In dryer climates with little water the grapes will not taste sweet, but in colder climates the grapes will taste sweet, a climate that is dry and cold will produce the better tasting grapes and wine that have both a sweet taste and a bitter taste that is the ideal taste for grape juice and wine. Also grapes are less susceptible to freezing and frost than peaches and nature prunes them so that the top buds die which allow for the lower ones to get bigger until you get the right size grape for what you want to do with it.