Crop prices and selling

Manholelid

Crop prices and selling

Post by Manholelid »

Why did Giants revert back the old way of selling crop one time a year? Before the patch, you had random days to sell your crop. It never had to be a specific day. You could have a high price any time of year. Now we have to wait for one day hoping the price is good or wait an entire year to try again. Main problem being, if you have silage bales waiting to sell it puts a limit on straw bales or even doing more silage bales. I'm on console so we have a limit, which is ridiculous.
dan1108

Re: Crop prices and selling

Post by dan1108 »

I can say with some certainty that it is a dynamic system. Sell year over year the same time? Prices will drop that month and increase in months you haven't sold. I know this from my last playthrough selling Silage. I sold so much (2.5ML/year, funding my regular farm growth), that I could barely hit the average price during the "high price" months. And the price between grass cuts, which was low, seemed to be getting better and better.

I did initially like the near full randomness of the prices in 1.1.0.0, however once you have multiple crops to deal with, its a nightmare with the lack of tools to help track the prices and get notified of when there is a run on the prices.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

dan1108 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:08 pm however once you have multiple crops to deal with, its a nightmare with the lack of tools to help track the prices and get notified of when there is a run on the prices.
Would be nice to have a script that reads the price chart for you with a little pop up reminder on a month where it fluctuates high. Something like "Hey dummy, looks like sorghum prices should be high this month"
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

FarmCatJenkins wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:12 pm
dan1108 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:08 pm however once you have multiple crops to deal with, its a nightmare with the lack of tools to help track the prices and get notified of when there is a run on the prices.
Would be nice to have a script that reads the price chart for you with a little pop up reminder on a month where it fluctuates high. Something like "Hey dummy, looks like sorghum prices should be high this month"
Indeed. I'm sure someone is already trying to figure out how to mod that in, for PC atleast.
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

At least the graph thingy is supposed to reflect (and seems to) actual prices instead of a static chart now.
Manholelid

Post by Manholelid »

dan1108 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:08 pm I can say with some certainty that it is a dynamic system. Sell year over year the same time? Prices will drop that month and increase in months you haven't sold. I know this from my last playthrough selling Silage. I sold so much (2.5ML/year, funding my regular farm growth), that I could barely hit the average price during the "high price" months. And the price between grass cuts, which was low, seemed to be getting better and better.

I did initially like the near full randomness of the prices in 1.1.0.0, however once you have multiple crops to deal with, its a nightmare with the lack of tools to help track the prices and get notified of when there is a run on the prices.
*thumbsup*
GrimGandalf

Post by GrimGandalf »

The one time a year hurts on pallets as well. If your trying to sell. For instance The best time to sell sugar is right before the sugar beets harvest window. If I want to load those pallets I now have to build up several pallets through the course of the year to get a good price. I to am a fan of the original pricing craziness.
PS4, XBOX X & PC Video Game Farmer
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

FarmCatJenkins wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:12 pm Would be nice to have a script that reads the price chart for you with a little pop up reminder on a month where it fluctuates high. Something like "Hey dummy, looks like sorghum prices should be high this month"
Not quite this, but there was a mod which gave a notification on FS19 when prices reached above a user-defined level - Tunis's Sell Price Trigger.

It wouldn't solve the problem with prices diving if you overload one sell point repeatedly, but it would mean you could see which other sell points offered best value without having to check regularly.

Hopefully Tunis is working on a FS22 version or will in the future.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

That would be wonderful
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
Tunis

Post by Tunis »

Good News!

I have submitted my Sell Price Trigger FS22 version to modhub.

News in this version is lowest, highest, average and great demand prices.
Average prices are calculated every hour.
You can now see prices are updated when GUI is open. (if you speed up like x360)
humbe

Post by humbe »

Sounds like a real world issue too though.. How badly do I need credits now? What does it cost me to store the crops? Might it rot away if I keep it too long? Maybe I'll have to live with this price this time around. Guessing the new system is designed to be closer to real world.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

It doesn't have to be a specific day now....you can sell any time. If you want the best price, as with life, you need to arrange storage then sell when the market is at the peak. No storage? Bless......
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

Paying for and building self-annual storage is something most large farms end up investing in all the time, else pay the local co-op to store them. In FS22, lucky that rail station storage is free (there is a limit though, not a big issue unless doing SBs/Potatoes). Here is a good video for RL differences between the two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytmqVOAETuo

I still find it insane that Giants did not increase the console limit for bales, even on nextgen consoles (there is a difference between the oldgen and nextgen slot count limit, so they can differentiate)
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

dan1109 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:11 pm Paying for and building self-annual storage is something most large farms end up investing in all the time, else pay the local co-op to store them. In FS22, lucky that rail station storage is free (there is a limit though, not a big issue unless doing SBs/Potatoes). Here is a good video for RL differences between the two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytmqVOAETuo

I still find it insane that Giants did not increase the console limit for bales, even on nextgen consoles (there is a difference between the oldgen and nextgen slot count limit, so they can differentiate)
Another good channel to watch it either Welker Farms or Millennial Farmer. The both struggle to know the exact best time to sell their crops. That's why famers often opt for "contracts" where they agree to sell X amount of crop for X $$. They don't always sell everything that way and sometimes have crops left in the bin the next harvest season, which they can opt to dump for a low price.
This years a perfect example of things going wrong. Corn was trading for x$$'s in 2020 and was expected to average around the same price in 2021. But no one foresaw the terrible year 2021 would be and how bad it would hit the crop yields. Supply and demand. As supply was lower in 2021 thanks to the storms and droughts' the price of corn went up well above what the average was for the last couple of years. Some farmers with contracts struggled to meet them as they didn't have enough crop to sell. Others laughed all the way to the bank, those that were lucky enough to escape nature's wrath that is.
We don't have "crop insurance" in the game, but IRL it's going to be paying out big this year.
Long story short, Gian'ts pricing system isn't nearly as volatile as the real world. In game crop prices vary, and the chart is really just a guide. I've seen corn for example sell in October for $100 less than it does in Jan. But the game recognizes that as a price increase so adjust the chart to reflect, even though it's not a huge amount. The chart essentially get's distorted.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
Slain

Post by Slain »

Tunis wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:56 pm Good News!

I have submitted my Sell Price Trigger FS22 version to modhub.

News in this version is lowest, highest, average and great demand prices.
Average prices are calculated every hour.
You can now see prices are updated when GUI is open. (if you speed up like x360)
That is fantastic news!!! Hopefully it will be released soon on ModHub!