So much rolling!!! Like seriously always rolling!

dan1108

Re: So much rolling!!! Like seriously always rolling!

Post by dan1108 »

Noraf wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:28 pm
Or do you mean placeable, that you can place yourself?
Correct, I want one on my farm - driving back and forth filling up a lime silo on your farm would be best done during winter, not running back and forth during spring planting season or early spring when you are doing tillage. Yes, plenty of mods for that - but something I think is glaringly missing, especially since Giants now introduced seed, fert, and liquid fert placeable buy stations and silos as part of stock game. And the fact that no stock trailer can haul lime (maybe there is only 1 IIRC) - its like they WANT you to make that drive at that time.
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

wildberry wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:53 pm Highly illogical, captain!
As there is no option to switch it off the game is forcing it on players. There's a penalty for not doing it, no matter how small.
Fine, I'll go with YOUR logic that you are getting a-2.5% penalty for not doing it. But if you DO do it...its not free. It requires a tractor which means fuel, engine hours, vehicle depreciation - it means you need an implement. Again, more equipment costs and depreciation from use. And then maintenance costs on top of it. And finally, don't forget a farmers most valuable resource...TIME. I've heard many a sim-farmer say "we don't mulch or roll where I live, wtf is it in the game"? Well, probably because when you consider ALL of the above costs, it doesn't pay off...the farmers would lose their bottom line, regardless of the slight benefits to yield or germination increase. In other parts of the world, it can make sense...maybe labor is cheaper there. Maybe there is more time for field prep in their part of the world because of their specific and unqiue GEO.

It doesn't matter - Giants has tried to balance it so that if you do it, the yield pays for what you did - if you don't do it, you will make the same NET profit...even though your yield is lower. Crops with the exception of silage, have been attempted to be precisely balanced, so that whichever crop you do, you make the same NET profit. Regardless of the NEW fieldwork (mulch/roll - you gotta plow when needed, gotta lime when need, and you always need to fert twice - take a loan out if you can't) you will still make the same NET profit.

Now mods can frack this balance up completely. Someone comes out with a mulcher that is 18m wide and only needs 180HP which can be done by a $100k tractor, this make mulching definitely and absolutely worth it. If playing competitive MP, and the other farmer has this mod and mulches, and you don't, he/she will make more net profit than you. Or a modded subsoiler which is actually a plow, that can go 50% faster and is 50% wider than the largest Moulder board plow in the game- this makes potatoes, corn, and sugar beats INCREDIBLY more profitable. Plowing is a huge operating cost to farming those crops. Giants runs all mods tested for modhub through tools which checks the physics. Its much much better for vehicles in FS22 - so you won't see nearly as many silly vehicles with modest HP that can tow an 80t load, or pull a 6m plow. However, implements are still not as well screened and bad/unrealistic ones that foul the base economy have already gotten through.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

wildberry wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:53 pm the game is forcing it on players. There's a penalty for not doing it, no matter how small.
Hmm... My game isn't forcing me to do it. I've done it a few times when I have extra time but mostly ignore it altogether. And no, it's not a "penalty". If you want to roll/mulch, you get a BONUS, if not, you still get to harvest your crop and save a little on the extra fuel and repair costs. You're not penalized at all if you don't want to do a step. Heck, you can plant a crop with no fertilization, no plowing, no lime, nothing... You still get to harvest a crop and potentially make a profit. It's up to the player as to how much input you want to do to increase your yields.

Carry on, ensign.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

fenixguy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:40 pm
wildberry wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:53 pm the game is forcing it on players. There's a penalty for not doing it, no matter how small.
Hmm... My game isn't forcing me to do it. I've done it a few times when I have extra time but mostly ignore it altogether. And no, it's not a "penalty". If you want to roll/mulch, you get a BONUS, if not, you still get to harvest your crop and save a little on the extra fuel and repair costs. You're not penalized at all if you don't want to do a step. Heck, you can plant a crop with no fertilization, no plowing, no lime, nothing... You still get to harvest a crop and potentially make a profit. It's up to the player as to how much input you want to do to increase your yields.

Carry on, ensign.
Well said, and I agree.
PS4
EUROFARMER22

Post by EUROFARMER22 »

SimpleFarmer wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:00 pm
If you are talking about soil rolling, my metheod is mulching, plowing,cultivating, stone picking, liming, fertilizing, seeding, rolling.
Some cultivators has rolling ability and they create a seedbed but then the stone picker "removes" that seedbed.
Why we have to make seebed? According of Wikipedia "A seedling bed is used to increase the number of seeds that germinate".

If you want more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seedbed
Here are the tutorials for soil and grass rolling : https://www.farming-simulator.com/newsA ... ews_id=295

Happy Farming *thumbsup*
John Deere - Nothing runs like a deere !

PC Specs:
Windows 11
AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700G
16GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti 8GB
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
1 TB HDD
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

EUROFARMER22 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:44 pm If you are talking about soil rolling, my metheod is mulching, plowing,cultivating, stone picking, liming, fertilizing, seeding, rolling.
Some cultivators has rolling ability and they create a seedbed but then the stone picker "removes" that seedbed.
Why we have to make seebed? According of Wikipedia "A seedling bed is used to increase the number of seeds that germinate".

If you want more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seedbed
Here are the tutorials for soil and grass rolling : https://www.farming-simulator.com/newsA ... ews_id=295

Happy Farming *thumbsup*
The seedbed still requires you to roll after planting though
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
AgroDude

Post by AgroDude »

I totally forgot that one of the mulchers goes on the front of the tractor, so I ran mulcher up-front and cultivator behind. Single pass, dual function.

If my seeder allowed sowing without cultivating, I could have done the lot in a single pass!
NDDan

Post by NDDan »

AgroDude wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:20 am I totally forgot that one of the mulchers goes on the front of the tractor, so I ran mulcher up-front and cultivator behind. Single pass, dual function.

If my seeder allowed sowing without cultivating, I could have done the lot in a single pass!
It seems that using the front mulcher with the 6m direct drill would be quite efficient. You’d miss a little bit with the mulcher, but not much. You could mulch, cultivate, seed, and fertilize in one pass.
There’s no place like utopia.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

fenixguy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:22 pm Not a requirement, but if you want to do it, you get a tiny yield bump.
It's a large yield hit if you have plowing turned off and don't plow. There's no other way to get rid of weeds. Herbicide only takes them down 50% if you only disk. And I don't feel like plowing every time I plant corn (every year). I did learn you only need to roll once, after seeding, and that creating a seedbed doesn't do anything. But I still don't really like rolling, even once. But it's not as bad as it was.
adammac5858

Post by adammac5858 »

Can we talk about how hard it is to see where to roll after seeding? The difference in where I have rolled and haven't is so darn minimal that I really have a hard time telling the difference. Any tips?
FS17 on PS4
FS19 on Xbox Series X.
Xbox: Macdizzle58
Also logging some hours in Flight Simulator
Modders: THANK. YOU.
raran

Post by raran »

Since PF mulching is 2.5% but rolling is only 0.8% yield increase so take that in mind and i wouldn't be surprised if that's the same without PF. Disturbed_simulations has a Youtube vid about it.
wheelmansteve

Post by wheelmansteve »

Rolling is what it is- I just do it. For mulching, try this:

https://farming-simulator.com/mod.php?l ... tle=fs2022

9m, so a little bigger, and it lets you go faster...
Old fat guy with a day job...
raran

Post by raran »

wheelmansteve wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:30 pm Rolling is what it is- I just do it. For mulching, try this:

https://farming-simulator.com/mod.php?l ... tle=fs2022

9m, so a little bigger, and it lets you go faster...
Im a good boy, when it says "needs rolling" i'm rolling... :lol:
crash

Post by crash »

Roll after seeding if you want those 2% or so.. after precssion farming came out I'm putting on lime every year, and direct seeding. Anything but where there have been corn, corn stalks get a round with a high speed disc.
Plowing and weeds off, stones and crop destruction on..
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

crash wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:21 pm Roll after seeding if you want those 2% or so.. after precssion farming came out I'm putting on lime every year, and direct seeding. Anything but where there have been corn, corn stalks get a round with a high speed disc.
Plowing and weeds off, stones and crop destruction on..
When you pick stones doesn't that count as cultivating the field? Wouldn't that negatively affect your EV score?
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins