So much rolling!!! Like seriously always rolling!

crash

Re: So much rolling!!! Like seriously always rolling!

Post by crash »

I dont pick stones.. there aren't to many of them anyways..
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

crash wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:01 am I dont pick stones.. there aren't to many of them anyways..
Depends on the size.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

ScotsDude73 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:22 pm
Depends on the size.
I feel like this is where one should insert a "that's what she says" joke... :hmm:
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
raran

Post by raran »

deerefarm wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:26 pm
Depends on the size.
I feel like this is where one should insert a "that's what she says" joke... :hmm:
:lol:
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

Depends on the size.
Is that what your wife tells you???
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

Normally I direct drill so you usually dont get stones. I roll for the yield bonus. As with mulching.

Picking stone is actually good especially the larger ones as you can make your own lime instead of buying.

Been playing Piney Run, which has a sort of working stone quarry, which you own from the start in New Farmer so basically you can make lime and the Johnsons Farmer Market you can sell the lime.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

ScotsDude73 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:00 pm
Depends on the size.
Is that what your wife tells you???
Ever since the divorce she rarely speaks to me *thumbsup* *thumbsup*
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

I wouldnt know how that feels. I have been happily single for 49 years.
JonOne

Post by JonOne »

There’s loads more tillage to field prep I think we’re all still a bit hung over from the older FS mantra of plow, till drill and there’s been a bit of regional heavy handedness with the field prep stuff. I know heavier soils do more plowing/picking/ seed bed prepping than say sandier soils but then this is also a game that swings from France to the Midwest and has to have some elements of continuity (right?)
So say if I had a geo (nudge) and wanted Elmcreek in say Fulton County Alabama which might be sandier lighter soils I’d do less plowing and more vertical tillage or straight no till to prevent erosion and keep some field armor. Transport my imaginary geo to say Wisconsin or the Dakotas with heavier stuff and I’d do more plowing and cultivating type tillage to break up loam and sods. That make any sense.
In Europe I’d just hitch a 3m cultivator to my Xerion 5000 and have 110% yield right?! (That is a joke)
Jon, 29
Somewhere near the River Parishes.
I enjoy long slow drives in my combine, cold starts and red bird win streaks.
Please don’t feed the trolls.
fhinze

Post by fhinze »

The reality is, that GIANTS missed reality!!! In the real world, not all soils require rolling. It's mostly sandy type soils (which they have a lot of in Europe) where rolling is required, to break the upper crust of the soil that could get hardened by the sun, to help the plants grow out of the ground, if the soil was wet anytime between planting and sprouting... But clay-type soils usually don't have this problem... It would have been nice if GIANTs would have included an option to disable the requirement for rolling (just like we can disable the requirement for plowing, liming, etc.), without incurring a slight yield penalty! - An oversight on behalf of GIANTS - NO DOUBT!
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

fhinze wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:58 am The reality is, that GIANTS missed reality!!! In the real world, not all soils require rolling. It's mostly sandy type soils (which they have a lot of in Europe) where rolling is required, to break the upper crust of the soil that could get hardened by the sun, to help the plants grow out of the ground, if the soil was wet anytime between planting and sprouting... But clay-type soils usually don't have this problem... It would have been nice if GIANTs would have included an option to disable the requirement for rolling (just like we can disable the requirement for plowing, liming, etc.), without incurring a slight yield penalty! - An oversight on behalf of GIANTS - NO DOUBT!
I'm on chalky boulder clay and around me we tend to roll to compact the surface after October drilling to retain the moisture. Sometimes, after a frosty winter, when the top layer has got friable we will roll again in spring.

Having said that, I suppose GIANTS could have made rolling optional. Personally I'm in favour of several options, each having a small effect, rather than one big "Do this, get mega bucks" but each to their own.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Crashmac

Post by Crashmac »

They see me rollin', they hayin', tryna catch my tractor dirty. :biggrin2: