Grass harvesting/planting

Tay95

Grass harvesting/planting

Post by Tay95 »

Hello,

Once I have mowed a field with grass, do I have to plow/cultivate and then plant the next round of grass seeds in?

Or will it still continue to grow?

Cheers
Eische

Re: Grass harvesting/planting

Post by Eische »

It will regrow on its own.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

Tip: rolling (with a grass roller) will get the fert status up to 100%. (Spreading fert won't do it).
Tay95

Post by Tay95 »

Eische wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:57 am It will regrow on its own.
Okay, at the moment it still says "harvested"
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

It will regrow

Sleep one night (I think) and it will say it’s growing
Ignorance is bliss
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

paul_c wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:44 pmSpreading fert won't do it
It doesn’t?
It always has, as long as it’s growing and not ready to harvest
Ignorance is bliss
JaGoose

Post by JaGoose »

Grass will regrow and can be harvested every 2 months. Fertilize right after harvesting and you will get your 100% fert and 95% yield, grass rollers are small and slow. Quicker to fert.
Tay95

Post by Tay95 »

Lovely thank you all, just skipped quiet a few months before it went back to growing stage
MagicBoy

Post by MagicBoy »

Tay95 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:29 pm Lovely thank you all, just skipped quiet a few months before it went back to growing stage
Yeah, won't grow over the winter months. Check the ingame calender thing.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

MagicBoy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:29 pm
Tay95 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:29 pm Lovely thank you all, just skipped quiet a few months before it went back to growing stage
Yeah, won't grow over the winter months. Check the ingame calender thing.
You're right, Dec, Jan, and Feb you won't see any growth in your grass even though the field info will say growing.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

Another undocumented tip...if you wait 1 more month after it is Ready For Harvest, you will get 50% more yield. This is unfortunately not indicated in documentation, the HUD, or even field info. Besides the 50% yield increase you will see while picking it up (your swaths will be so large, you will have problems getting every spot), you can see that 1 month after harvest ready, the texture of the harvest ready grass changes to an even more thick grass. This is what is Seasons FS19, was called a "full cut" and it takes 3 months to grow in FS22. The normal 2 month growth would be called a "half" cut. On the current geo for the stock maps, you can get 2.5 full cuts per year - 2 full and 1 half cut...and the great thing about that last fall cut, is you can push it to December, January, February, or even March if you didn't have time - regardless of when you make that last cut of the farming growth year, grass won't start to regrow until April.
NDDan

Post by NDDan »

dan1109 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:34 pm Another undocumented tip...if you wait 1 more month after it is Ready For Harvest, you will get 50% more yield. This is unfortunately not indicated in documentation, the HUD, or even field info. Besides the 50% yield increase you will see while picking it up (your swaths will be so large, you will have problems getting every spot), you can see that 1 month after harvest ready, the texture of the harvest ready grass changes to an even more thick grass. This is what is Seasons FS19, was called a "full cut" and it takes 3 months to grow in FS22. The normal 2 month growth would be called a "half" cut. On the current geo for the stock maps, you can get 2.5 full cuts per year - 2 full and 1 half cut...and the great thing about that last fall cut, is you can push it to December, January, February, or even March if you didn't have time - regardless of when you make that last cut of the farming growth year, grass won't start to regrow until April.
A lot of good tips here. Also, if you make your last cut in October, you can get three full cuts the next year (April, July, and October). That’s what I get anyways. I also roll after every cut. That might have something to do with it. Just don’t roll the next month as it will reset the growth.
There’s no place like utopia.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

NDDan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:11 am
dan1109 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:34 pm Another undocumented tip...if you wait 1 more month after it is Ready For Harvest, you will get 50% more yield. This is unfortunately not indicated in documentation, the HUD, or even field info. Besides the 50% yield increase you will see while picking it up (your swaths will be so large, you will have problems getting every spot), you can see that 1 month after harvest ready, the texture of the harvest ready grass changes to an even more thick grass. This is what is Seasons FS19, was called a "full cut" and it takes 3 months to grow in FS22. The normal 2 month growth would be called a "half" cut. On the current geo for the stock maps, you can get 2.5 full cuts per year - 2 full and 1 half cut...and the great thing about that last fall cut, is you can push it to December, January, February, or even March if you didn't have time - regardless of when you make that last cut of the farming growth year, grass won't start to regrow until April.
A lot of good tips here. Also, if you make your last cut in October, you can get three full cuts the next year (April, July, and October). That’s what I get anyways. I also roll after every cut. That might have something to do with it. Just don’t roll the next month as it will reset the growth.
Rolling shouldn't have anything to do with it. I tried field/soil rolling, it did not force the harvested state to growing state advancing your next harvest one month as other people had erroneously reported. Nor did it remove ''needs rolling'' - so I am at a perm 95% yield bonus, which is fine for a single coat of liquid fert after every harvest. Grass rolling simply fertilizes for free, albiet very slow and puts wear/tear on the tractor...if doing it, ensure to use a minimal tractor to reduce maintenance costs.

You do actually have the optimal window...2 months in between each cut. Last cut in October must be going to growing state in November. It goes to ready to harvest in March, and you get your full cut in April. I do it my way because I mow 40+ acres - Before CP, it would take dawn to midnight or later to get it done at x5 speed. Courseplay however now works VERY well for mowing and baling - they promise standalone wrapping and when autodrive comes out, I should be able to even pickup bales quite efficiently with mostly the worker doing the work. I still try to do it in late November so its fermented by the high price window, but worse comes to worse, that $400k of silage for that cut will be sold next year - I want to ensure I maximize October/November for the annual crops - I currently half cut in May, full cut in August, and a final full cut in Nov/Dec - that kinda has been evolving as my farm grows - last year I had more time in May than August (grain harvest/plant season), simply because now I am farming a few dozen acres of grains...a few years before, only 6 acres. That's the 1 BEAUTY of grass silage..flexibility. Corn Silage has it a bit as well, you can forage it starting in September, but unless you use the unrealistic lizard "subsoiler" (is considered a plow by the game) which is 50% wider, 50% faster, 75% cheaper, and requires less HP than the largest moldboard plow in the game, your Corn Silage operating and tilling costs are quite high.

I've got +$3M in land now, with the equipment to farm it all, and still get the juicy contracts for the remaining fields. I'm sure my methodology will continue to evolve as I expand further.
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

When I buy a [future grass] field, I plow it + rockpick to get rid of rocks, then seed and use a field roller, to get rid of "needs rolling" state. Then after each cut I use a grass roller, that bumps up the fert state and sets it to growing again, from harvested.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

Seedy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:20 pm When I buy a [future grass] field, I plow it + rockpick to get rid of rocks, then seed and use a field roller, to get rid of "needs rolling" state. Then after each cut I use a grass roller, that bumps up the fert state and sets it to growing again, from harvested.
I tested grass rolling the other day...all it did was fertilize.