Calmsden Farm Map

blue_painted

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by blue_painted »

humbe wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:08 pm
Smokee wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:29 am ...

Why would you want traffic on this map with that super intelligent AI from GIANT, and where? On these narrow roads? :D
For immersion, more stuff that makes the map alive is nice. I'd also want traffic, but with current AI that would be hard on that map. For it to work, the AI would have to detect you coming, and swirve out to the side..

I remember having a vacation in the UK, and ending up driving on backroads north of Dartmoor, and on roads where bushes practically already hit my rental car on both sides, locals could come the other way in what felt like 50 mph, drive straight into the bush on one side and expect me to do the same on my side.. I was kinda worried about returning that rental car as it was brand new, but it worked out ok in the end..
To get the proper driving experience on those country lanes the AI traffic would need to be able to reverse badly, swerving all over the road, and then pull into the exact gateway you wanted to go in.

In Cornwall a lot of those bushes have got rocks in! :)
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

I love playing UK maps because of amazing landscape, but now seriously one interesting question: why UK roads are so god damn narrow so that even 2 cars cant pass each other without scratching the colors on their doors?
I mean, i dont get it, whats the point of narrow roads?
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

bojanh66 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:19 pm I love playing UK maps because of amazing landscape, but now seriously one interesting question: why UK roads are so god damn narrow so that even 2 cars cant pass each other without scratching the colors on their doors?
The roads are old country lanes and field boundaries have been there for centuries..It would be impossible to make these roads wider without destroying much of the countryside.
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

I see, thanks for explanation. I always find that kind of weird, but it makes sense.
humbe

Post by humbe »

bojanh66 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:19 pm I love playing UK maps because of amazing landscape, but now seriously one interesting question: why UK roads are so god damn narrow so that even 2 cars cant pass each other without scratching the colors on their doors?
Needed to learn lorry drivers not to trust their GPS ;D

I guess it all comes down to those roads not needing to be bigger then they where made, and now there's a ton of them and it's a massive effort to improve and maintain them... And I guess you avoid people taking the backroad to take a shortcut, but rather drive around to the big and fast freeway..
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

h3rich wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:15 pm It needs traffic to keep you on toes when joining the main roads. It doesn't need lots of traffic in my opinion, just a random local here and there..

Also this joining road needs a rework in FS. It is not even close to what it is in reality.
https://imgur.com/a/CMHeUg5
I have to ask if you mean that literally, or if you're joking?

edit: I think I see what you mean now: the track/road going down behind those houses to the South? I can't say it bothers me enough to try making a private edit of the map.
Last edited by blue_painted on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
humbe

Post by humbe »

I've taken a google streetview tour through there, and I'm amazed at how similar the map is real life. A lot of custom models to make it look the same.

Of course it won't be identical to real life, but wouldn't be surprised if modders would kust create a few models that was area correct that was reused quite a bit, as all that 3D modelling must be time consuming
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

blue_painted wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:17 pm
humbe wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:08 pm
Smokee wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:29 am ...

Why would you want traffic on this map with that super intelligent AI from GIANT, and where? On these narrow roads? :D
To get the proper driving experience on those country lanes the AI traffic would need to be able to reverse badly, swerving all over the road, and then pull into the exact gateway you wanted to go in.

In Cornwall a lot of those bushes have got rocks in! :)
I never did get used to English driving. Although after a while with FS English maps, I started to drive the U.S. maps on the "wrong" side. Great husband entertainment!
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

h3rich wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:15 pm It needs traffic to keep you on toes when joining the main roads. It doesn't need lots of traffic in my opinion, just a random local here and there..

Also this joining road needs a rework in FS. It is not even close to what it is in reality.
https://imgur.com/a/CMHeUg5
I'd say that's luxury, adding that connecting road to make right turns from the shop to the farmyard extremely simple. They could have just left it as a tight right hander and given the house on the corner a pretty front garden and a stone wall?

Obviously the house has been there a while, and will remain.
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

paul_c wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:02 pm I'd say that's luxury, adding that connecting road to make right turns from the shop to the farmyard extremely simple. They could have just left it as a tight right hander and given the house on the corner a pretty front garden and a stone wall?

I don't understand what you are trying to say...

The map is based on a real world farm and this road exists in reality...but it's different than in game. If you look at the attached photo from google maps you can see it is nicely rounded so longer vehicles don't have to drive on grass. In game the same road is just a straight narrow piece of road connecting the two. It is a piece of road that is frequently used and would be nice if it was done properly.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

h3rich wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:12 pm
paul_c wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:02 pm I'd say that's luxury, adding that connecting road to make right turns from the shop to the farmyard extremely simple. They could have just left it as a tight right hander and given the house on the corner a pretty front garden and a stone wall?

I don't understand what you are trying to say...

The map is based on a real world farm and this road exists in reality...but it's different than in game. If you look at the attached photo from google maps you can see it is nicely rounded so longer vehicles don't have to drive on grass. In game the same road is just a straight narrow piece of road connecting the two. It is a piece of road that is frequently used and would be nice if it was done properly.
Maybe I understand it second time around. Do you mean the difference in the curves? (marked out in red)

The aspect ratio and rotations aren't quite the same but close enough I think?

paul_c

Post by paul_c »

I see what you mean now.

The grass is very tough in FS22, I am guessing they did it and it was not a factor because of that. In the real world, obvs the grass would be chewed up by long vehicles over time and never re-establish, so they probably widened it at some point. I suspect at some stage historically, the small link road didn't even exist though. Its actually really handy as it gives a straight run into field 31 with long vehicles eg bale trailer.
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

blue_painted wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:23 pm
Yep, thats the road i was talking about. You can see the difference in the curve and how much wider it is on both sides. The grass triangle in the middle seems too big in the game.
Tva

Post by Tva »

I don't get why can't we have the update as soon as it's done and have to wait for Giants testing. For PC of course not consoles.
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

h3rich wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:40 pm
blue_painted wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:23 pm
Yep, thats the road i was talking about. You can see the difference in the curve and how much wider it is on both sides. The grass triangle in the middle seems too big in the game.
I wonder if it's an artifact of the geometry of whatever they use for map development. I play Cities: Skylines and, sometimes, it's impossible to get the correct arcs. Or, maybe that's the way the road was really made. The modder says it's as accurate as possible.