Weeding on map

Phi258

Weeding on map

Post by Phi258 »

Hello,

I've noticed when you use herbicide after the weeds have grown, the map layer for weeds turns brown until harvest (and still show dead weeds in the field). Whereas if you herbicide right after sowing (or mechanical weed), the layer shows no weeds at all.

Is there any noticeable effect of each? Does the brown map layer lower your yield?
NDDan

Re: Weeding on map

Post by NDDan »

It depends on the size of the weeds when you spray. If you spray right after planting or when the weeds are still small, you will get the full 20% bonus. If you spray when the weeds are medium, you are capped at 10%. If you wait until they are large, you will only get a 5% bonus.

Weeding and hoeing will always get the full 20% bonus. Weeding can be done up to small weeds. Hoeing can be done up to medium size weeds.
There’s no place like utopia.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

And if you use a direct seeder/planter, a disc harrow, or any other device which states weeds will grow faster, they transition from growing to medium weeds the next month, bypassing small weeds, requiring a hoe to get the full bonus. Herbicide will give you a 10% penalty. Fortunately, a hoe does as well work on non-row-crops.....untl they show the weeds growing in the HUD (I assume this is a bug) and you are blind with the exception of checking field info by jumping out of the vehicle, its quite easy to miss some spots which you will need to address the next month. You can spray the small weeds, but by mid-end game I am assuming most people are using direct till as often as possible (or atleast are using a large disc harrow from having a high HP tractor), in which you will need the hoe.

Weeds have grown quite sophisticated in FS22 (pun intended), and with simple documentation problems and the HUD issue, are working extremely well. The lack of complete documentation may be causing people continuing to turn weeds off - which is a shame. In the future, I hope for spot weed growth to occur if addressing weeds same month as planting, always requiring a small few patches to touch up. That would complement Precision Farming perfectly - to my knowledge, high tech modern sprayers will only spray the spots that actually have weeds.
Phi258

Post by Phi258 »

Thanks both, very informative, thank you for explaining
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

I've started using this mod on my smaller fields or on fields like corn and sugar beets that need plowing after harvest;
https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2022
They list it as a subsoiler but when installed you'll find it under "plows". The 9 M version works great, travels at 10 (11) mph and since it acts as a plow you don't have to worry about weeds. Otherwise, on bigger fields, I follow the seeder with the 15m Treffler weeder. No herbicide costs and it does the same job as spraying right after planting.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

deerefarm wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:02 pm I've started using this mod on my smaller fields or on fields like corn and sugar beets that need plowing after harvest;
They list it as a subsoiler but when installed you'll find it under "plows". The 9 M version works great, travels at 10 (11) mph and since it acts as a plow you don't have to worry about weeds. Otherwise, on bigger fields, I follow the seeder with the 15m Treffler weeder. No herbicide costs and it does the same job as spraying right after planting.
And it is a travesty to all things trying to be realistic in FS. 35Hp/m!....every farm in the world would have one of these things, and would put direct seeders out of business. The only reason you shouldn't use this while pulling a planter behind you is that the size doesn't match up with only a handful of 6m planters, and turning would get you into trouble.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

dan1109 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:38 pm
deerefarm wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:02 pm I've started using this mod on my smaller fields or on fields like corn and sugar beets that need plowing after harvest;
And it is a travesty to all things trying to be realistic in FS. 35Hp/m!....every farm in the world would have one of these things, and would put direct seeders out of business. The only reason you shouldn't use this while pulling a planter behind you is that the size doesn't match up with only a handful of 6m planters, and turning would get you into trouble.
LOL, ok now that I look at the specs I see what you mean. I never really looked at the HP requirement and usually pull it behind either my 8R 410 or my 8RT 410, but now I can see I'm using way too much power lol. I didn't even realize it could pull something else behind it till you pointed it out. Now just because I know I can doesn't mean I will.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

deerefarm wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:47 pm
dan1109 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:38 pm
LOL, ok now that I look at the specs I see what you mean. I never really looked at the HP requirement and usually pull it behind either my 8R 410 or my 8RT 410, but now I can see I'm using way too much power lol. I didn't even realize it could pull something else behind it till you pointed it out. Now just because I know I can doesn't mean I will.
And even worse, if you put it on backwards with the "rippers" going the wrong direction, it only requires around half the horsepower. Giants vehicle testing has gotten pretty good, keeping things much much more honest and real than in the past (don't think we are going to be seeing any 1000HP SemiTrucks in FS22 approved by Giants), but their implement testing has a looong way to go.