170 Hours and It's Over

ipodule

170 Hours and It's Over

Post by ipodule »

Farming Simulator is a game with huge potential because it just let's you do what you want and take as long as you want to do it but where it falls flat is because the developers are lacking in both imagination and technical skill.

The game has no atmosphere, no life, no world that you play in. Driving around working your farm, there are no other farmers, you can't have traffic turned on because they're stupid and just get in the way, the people are a joke, they just pop in and wander about like zombies. Own a store or a shop? Why? No people come to it, the doors are closed and the lights are off... so why have it?

While the physics have improved over FS19 they are still a garbage fire of inconsistency. Pallets slip and slide around like they are coated with grease, they still get stuck to the ground, if you touch one that's flipped over it barrel rolls a 14 ton wheel loader like it's made out of paper. Park a trailer with turning front wheels and it will gradually push itself out of position... it will not stay still. Why does it rain? It doesn't affect the crops, doesn't adhere to anything.... tractors have wipers, but why? The rain doesn't stop you seeing out of the windshield. You just get an annoying rain sound for 30 minutes. Animals pop into existence from nowhere, run through buildings and .... that's it. Wanna build a farm? Put some trees in... try and delete them... oh sorry, we couldn't be bothered putting that option in. Why does the game allow terraforming to create sharp edges in terrain? Oh, wait, I know why... your game engine is a parody of a real engine.

Then we have the actual devs. Where are they? Why don't they interact with their players? Not even a little bit. It's ignorant, it's arrogant... it's just plain rude. Why doesn't the game look like the picture at the top of the forum... why are animals trapped in pens not running around in a field like, actual farm animal do? Because you're bad at this. It's the only possible answer. You can't even build a decent sky box that looks like an actual sky with clouds in it... the colours are washed out, lacking any warmth or atmosphere.. mainly because your engine has no atmospherics in it.

Maybe we can email Microsoft and see if they will do a Farm game...
lawm

Re: 170 Hours and It's Over

Post by lawm »

Maybe you should give the game " Real Farm " a try.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Well that settles that apparently.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Giants does have a lot of stuff to improve on. I will interested to see how the op's own farming game comes out since it is so easy to code everything and he seems to talk like he knows how to do it.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Bobbydj1980

Post by Bobbydj1980 »

If you're that unhappy with it just stop playing sounds like you need to get Farmville or something because pretty much every one else loves this game or just get an imagination and try roleplay with it
Love farming simulator I play on the Xbox series x orangebeach Alabama
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

170 hours and you're calling it quits? That's barely enough time to get through a year, let alone give the game a fair shake. It's a simulator after all not a first person shooter. As said try farmville. Based on the amount of time you've put into the game that's all the time i'm going to put into this post.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
johnlinden

Post by johnlinden »

I am with ipodule, and to add, new features that have fallen flat. AI workers to do anything but a field with the headlands done first is a fail. Stones, not a popular option. Grapes and olives, also not a favorite, for most. Now we have no idea what will be fixed, or what will. Take care all.
Nishma Agri Mods

Post by Nishma Agri Mods »

FS started back in 2008 . That`s 14 years to get this game right and we still have most of the same issues we had back then. So i personally somewhat agree with the OP . Giants are slack with moving the game on . The massive improvement in model quality and amount of std game equipment has come at the cost of game engine improvements IMO. Dont get me wrong i like looking at pretty models , but when you park it and slowly slides away from you its a bit of slap in the face . I know people will say well dont play it then , but i do like fs games , but because i like them i can also see the faults in it and will point them out.
Its taken 14 years to have a gearbox ( the term gearbox is used in the loosest possible sense), its taken 14 years to have seasons ..... seasons in a farming game .... who would have thought that was a thing , it took 8 years to get a front axle that pivots in the middle . We still have tractors wheels that move up and down like they are on springs even thought we have tyres that flex now we still have suspension. On things that are ment to have it , awesome , but most tractors do not have suspension the back axle lol. End of mini rant.

Farm sim has always and will always be a arcade style game with most thing simplified as much as possible to make it "accessible to the wider audience" Thats why we have awesome modders to make a Sim game from a arcade game. and thats why i keep coming back and playing the game because of the awesome modders out there.
DEERE318

Post by DEERE318 »

The OP has hit the nail on the head. IMO 17 was the best for me, and it's been downhill since then. I feel Giants are ruining their own game by adding rather than finishing.
I think now they rely on huge sales from people who don't have a history with the game, and don't realize what they're getting. Releasing just before Christmas generates lots of sales from youngsters who get hyped by their CGI commercials.
Of course they have their few regulars, but even they appear to be dwindling away.
Just my opinion.
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

I agree with ipodule, it became obvious after FS15 that the game is a money grab for Giants. No significant improvements over the last 6 years, only some added scripts to "improve" the game.

Their focus should be on the game engine, not machinery. Modders make all the machinery you will ever need...and better than Giants ever could.
monkeysparrow 2

Post by monkeysparrow 2 »

OP is correct, in the time Giants have had between releases they should have worked on their game engine.
Happy-Farmer!

Post by Happy-Farmer! »

I disagree with what OP is saying, I feel FS22 is a big leap forward from FS19. I have played on Elmcreek for over 300 hours on PC and to be honest the only real game breaking bug without a workaround is cutting down trees other than Pine and Spruce which I have had no problems. The game is not sold at a price of a AAA game and I believe they are a small team. FS19 came out with far more bugs but gradually they got fixed and people are still playing it. The only other option is for someone like Microsoft buying Giants and then we would see less of simulator and probably a game involving racing tractors and shooting other farmers. I would rather wait for Giants to release patches when they are ready.
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

Couldn’t agree more with OP, but it is what it is and it’s not going to get better. Take it or leave it mate. I wish complaining made a difference, but only money does, and they just made more than ever with this one. So yeah, don’t expect improvements, embrace the mediocrity or move on.
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

mackintosh wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:51 am Couldn’t agree more with OP, but it is what it is and it’s not going to get better. Take it or leave it mate. I wish complaining made a difference, but only money does, and they just made more than ever with this one. So yeah, don’t expect improvements, embrace the mediocrity or move on.
And that's the Crux of the matter. It is what it is. I've tried other farming games and FS still seems to be "as good as it gets" right now. It's a great anxiety and boredom reliever to me (until it, itself, becomes boring). I play it almost every day for a few hours and do like it. That being said, I agree with OP, too. It is starting to seem like just a money grabber. Of course, they SHOULD make money from a game this popular, whether it's popular because people like me want something kind of quiet to play or because some people want absolute realism. They're the ones actually on the line. The fact it is so popular says it all for the bottom line. They have succeeded.

Nevertheless, "regular folks" are plopping down the money, revision after revision. That's the only real power we have. As for me, I gripe about it and beat my breast in anguish. I swear I won't buy it again, but do...every new game is MINE...ALL of it.

The GIF of the staffer on the Mods thread, half reclining at a game (or somewhere), looking half smashed with his little thumb in the air was enfuriating. It was a rooky move. When customers are upset, you're taking weeks off, and don't TALK to them on the actual website/forum (NOT Discord), you're asking for resentment and flack back atcha. It really reminded me of politicians who, once in office say, "My way or the highway. I don't give a flip what you think."

People are forgiving and, generally, reasonable. The real answer here is communication, of which there is little. Talk to us. Tell us WHY it's taking so long and why it is difficult. It may seem like time wasted, but it's not.

As for customer base differences, it's a reality. We want different things from the experience. For me, FS at it's hardest isn't what I'm looking for, for some, it's the ONLY way they want it. Neither group, I believe, can support this game on its own without a disqualifying price jump. These people HAVE to earn a living.

Bottom line: Talk to us. Don't take the receipt of our hard earned money for granted. Help us understand and a lot (not all) of our whining and griping will (much of it, anyway) go away.

I will continue to try other FS games. So far, this is it for me. There's an opportunity out there for someone to develop a better version and, then, all bets are off. For now, this is it.

DEVELOPERS: We are not the enemy. Some will be unreasonable on either side of this. Most of us just want to be heard and to hear from YOU. There's so much more to creating this game than meets the eye of most of us, but seriously, take the time to give updates HERE.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

You might find this item interesting albeit from 2016 regarding the game engine and Giants attitude to implementation of new features

https://forum-giants--software-com.tran ... to#p737823