170 Hours and It's Over

h3rich

Re: 170 Hours and It's Over

Post by h3rich »

TheSuBBie wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:39 pm You might find this item interesting albeit from 2016 regarding the game engine and Giants attitude to implementation of new features

https://forum-giants--software-com.tran ... to#p737823
It is written like no other engine allows for custom functions...a bunch of BS if you ask me..every other engine allows for everything he has written in that post.

And this about dynamic ground:
"To the dynamic floorI have already made some comments. The main problem is not the technical implementation in general (even if some tricky problems have to be solved here), but how this should be coupled with the fun of the game."

So in theri opinion it wouldn't be fun to have dynamic ground?
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

TheSuBBie wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:39 pm You might find this item interesting albeit from 2016 regarding the game engine and Giants attitude to implementation of new features

Thank you for that. It's very useful. Good will is important from ANY client base. Maybe quarterly items like this in an unlocked topic would help. Locking the thread doesn't work. People just make multiple threads to complain. This only makes it seem worse.

Make note, up front, issues will be read and taken into account, but responses will not be posted to every single issue.

I'm, truly, trying to help here. Ultimately, it's their baby. It's nice to have babysitters around when you need them, though. :hmm:
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

Yeah pretty much this sums it up. Giants engine is the only engine on the market that can support everything this game has to offer. Each fs brings something new but its never a quantum leap that ppl expect. Well maybe one day it will happen as tech progresses. It is what it is and im glad we get to play it.
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

njuska11 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:11 pm

Yeah pretty much this sums it up. Giants engine is the only engine on the market that can support everything this game has to offer. Each fs brings something new but its never a quantum leap that ppl expect. Well maybe one day it will happen as tech progresses. It is what it is and im glad we get to play it.
Agreed
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

njuska11 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:11 pm [Well maybe one day it will happen as tech progresses. It is what it is and im glad we get to play it.
As what tech progresses? Tech has already progressed far and beyond what their junk engine can take advantage of. They still haven't figured out how to use more than two threads. It certainly is what it is and most of us are begrudgingly happy to play it, but let's not kid ourselves that there are limitations other than their coders' skills, time and money that are keeping this game back.
DEERE318

Post by DEERE318 »

So many people consider that post as gospel, and use it as a defense when anything else is mentioned (just like now).

That post is nearly 6 years old, and assumes he wants an engine that will do everything for him out of the box.

The idea is to choose the engine that does most of what you need, or at least the hardest parts, and you build in the rest. I'll bet that is what every other developer does.
Other game engines have left Giants in the dust.

Here is a post that provides a very detailed explanation of the Unreal Engine, and how it could help Giants (and us): viewtopic.php?f=963&t=186822&p=1466177#p1466177
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

mackintosh wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:27 pm
njuska11 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:11 pm [Well maybe one day it will happen as tech progresses. It is what it is and im glad we get to play it.
As what tech progresses? Tech has already progressed far and beyond what their junk engine can take advantage of. They still haven't figured out how to use more than two threads. It certainly is what it is and most of us are begrudgingly happy to play it, but let's not kid ourselves that there are limitations other than their coders' skills, time and money that are keeping this game back.
I have a hard time believing that if they could they would not use a different engine. Also you have to understand if they change engine modding is dead. This game is easily moddable beacuse of the engine. And we can all agree that without mods this game would probably died decade ago...
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

There's nothing wrong with having your own engine - and clearly it has massive advantages as you are not tied down to any licensing nor third party tools and can do whatever you want with it. If it doesn't affect their bottom line - and clearly it has not thus far - they don't have much of an incentive (other than their own ambition) to do anything about it.
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

njuska11 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:37 pm I have a hard time believing that if they could they would not use a different engine. Also you have to understand if they change engine modding is dead. This game is easily moddable beacuse of the engine. And we can all agree that without mods this game would probably died decade ago...
Because no other engine supports modding. That's why no other game has mods...
mackintosh wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:40 pm There's nothing wrong with having your own engine - and clearly it has massive advantages as you are not tied down to any licensing nor third party tools and can do whatever you want with it. If it doesn't affect their bottom line - and clearly it has not thus far - they don't have much of an incentive (other than their own ambition) to do anything about it.
Even if that engine is obsolete and causes more problems than advantages? Unfortunately GE can't offer anything modern and compared to others (compared in what engine is capable of) fails on every level.
ipodule

Post by ipodule »

mackintosh wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:51 am Couldn’t agree more with OP, but it is what it is and it’s not going to get better. Take it or leave it mate. I wish complaining made a difference, but only money does, and they just made more than ever with this one. So yeah, don’t expect improvements, embrace the mediocrity or move on.
This is, perhaps, the crux of the problem here. We have no faith that any dramatic improvements will be made. The potential is enormous, the willingness or the skill to do it is lacking and as this is the only option then all anybody can do is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . To those with the clichés of "don't play", "make your own game", etc all I will say is this. That attitude is why so many games over the last few years are terrible or poorly implemented. FS22 is sloppily produced, the physics issues are demonstrable and repeatable and I didn't even mention, although others have, the tremendously stupid AI workers who cannot do even the most basic tasks if so much as a small plant is in their way. I think Giants have a podcast, I might be making that up, but they can't be bothered communicating with their players in a meaningful way. If all you ever do is look for praise then this is what you get... mediocrity.

I've also perused the thread linked by one user about the game engine, there is so much nonsense in there it's laughable (although it is machine translated). Something about no other engine has dynamic texturing or scenery destruction, you can't cut down trees in essence! Well I have news for you Giants, you can't cut down trees in your game engine either and your ground scenery is not dynamic, tire tracks are just painted on top of the existing texture. A 10,000KG tractor does not leave ruts in muddy ground... that would be Havok engine, used on Snowrunner. FS22 issues are encapsulated by another poster, there is no competition for them and that is a very bad thing. Because we lack choice you either deal with it or walk away.
lawm

Post by lawm »

OP said it's over. So I guess it's over. End
of conversation, they can move on to real farm. Otherwise it's just a bunch of hyperbole
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

If you think giants dont listen to us at all and they dont care and they are lazy and sloppy then why you are bothering writing this posts. It accomplishes nothing since they dont care as you say. Or you are secretly hoping they do listen? I dont get it
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Well, they did give us an option to select the length of the month, and not limited to one day/month as originally planned, after our feedback...
So feedback works-ish.

As for the engine, well, it works for them, and they don't have to pay a license to use it. Which probably means we get to pay a little bit less for the game.
There have been tries to make competing games, on other engines, and they have mostly failed badly.
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
Frag

Post by Frag »

I do love the Farming Simulator series. I do have more than 1000 hours in FS19 and will probably have more in FS22. So I LOVE this game, however it does not stop the OP from being right. The engine of Farming Simulator is way late when compared to all the other game engines out there. For god sake, it is still sunny while it rain. I feel that Giants should seriously consider completely retiring the engine and fly to a modern one in the next release. It was a surprise to me that they did not do this in FS22.

Also, for all the forum members who think that having a third party engine would kill the mods support capability, you are wrong. The engine of a game and its modding capability have nothing to do with each other.
Last edited by Frag on Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ipodule

Post by ipodule »

Noraf wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:28 pm Well, they did give us an option to select the length of the month, and not limited to one day/month as originally planned, after our feedback...
So feedback works-ish.

As for the engine, well, it works for them, and they don't have to pay a license to use it. Which probably means we get to pay a little bit less for the game.
There have been tries to make competing games, on other engines, and they have mostly failed badly.
This game costs £45 on console, it is sold at AAA prices using D class development process.