Why is Giants pushing Discord

Happy-Farmer!

Why is Giants pushing Discord

Post by Happy-Farmer! »

As the title suggests, Giants seem to be pushing members from this forum to others, Discord being one of them. I've tried Discord and quite frankly I personally find it not as good as this forum. I would expect news and announcements from Giants to be on their own forum first rather than encouraging us to use third party apps. I have read posts recently from modders and even Bullet Bill on this forum so to suggest this type of forum is dead is a load of rubbish. This is just my opinion but I would be interested to hear what other people think?
lawm

Re: Why is Giants pushing Discord

Post by lawm »

punchi

Post by punchi »

Forums are something from the last decade probably. Just not up to date anymore :)
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

Forums like these are places where you can post and read things back whenever you like.

Whereas discord is a chat, where if you weren’t there at the right moment, you’ll miss what’s been said.
Ignorance is bliss
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Happy-Farmer! wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:59 amI have read posts recently from modders and even Bullet Bill on this forum so to suggest this type of forum is dead is a load of rubbish. This is just my opinion but I would be interested to hear what other people think?
He's right. Some of the vile comments, almost complete lack of moderation here and the constant hostility and x vs y that every thread descends into (in the English section at least) means this forum is, well, "rubbish".

I only still visit as I much prefer the forum platform than Discord.

Discord only fragments the FS community. The GIANTS Discord server has little in the way of knowledgeable or sensible discussions and third-party Discord servers only further separate players and modders so decent info about playing or modding is spread all over the place, and ultimately lost. I'm only relieved I happen to be in one of the better servers.

The GDN forum, meant for modding help, is dead too.

Frankly for a decent community a new site would need to be formed by bulldozing both GDN and closing this forum - ideally to a read-only state so what little modding info out there isn't lost, but I doubt GDPR would allow that - though that might depend where the forum is hosted (Switzerland aren't in the EU, and GIANTS are officially Swiss)). Make a new site from the ground up, with usernames tied to the game, bug tracker, ModHub and so on. Make it a hub for developers, players and modders. Don't take a draconian stance, but don't stand for the sort of stuff this forum has descended into either - a focus on quality and information, not member numbers.

It's such a shame the FS community no longer has any decent third-party forums as it's a much better form of discussion for improving and modding for the game.
JaVaDy

Post by JaVaDy »

I totaly agree with this_is_gav. It would be a relief to have a serious forum with constructive critics and modding information.
Former Xbox One S player, now on PC :-D
lawm

Post by lawm »

Hear me out here. As an english speaking "trouble maker" , why dont they just make a subsection within the forum that is heavily regulated and leave the general topics to the animals? Sometimes I do have serious inquiries or suggestions and I'm restrained enough to act like an adult when I know the rules.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

lawm wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:59 pm Hear me out here. As an english speaking "trouble maker" , why dont they just make a subsection within the forum that is heavily regulated and leave the general topics to the animals? Sometimes I do have serious inquiries or suggestions and I'm restrained enough to act like an adult when I know the rules.
That's rather back to front. Adults shouldn't need to be told the rules.
Mellek

Post by Mellek »

I very much prefer a forum over Discord, I was invited to use Discord when working on the sound for a mod several years ago, the reason being that "everyone else" is on there, reluctantly I tried, but haven't used it again since then.

I'm happy Giants, unlike many other developers, is keeping the forum active.
For me progression isn't always improvement, and somehow with the new platforms feels less like a community to me, just more chaotic and individual.

But I must also admit that the quality of the forums that are still active are not what they used to be, the grey area seems to be gone and discussions often resulting in rude, negative all or nothing statements forgetting you are in a conversation with another person..just an image and a made up name, this includes post directed at the companies, like Giants here, or their employees.

We are all fans of this game, why else would we be here on the FS22 forum and it is understandable people might feel upset, disappointed, or even angry about aspects of it (I made this account because I felt so about FS19 at release and Giants requested feedback), just keep in mind that everyone on this forum is a human being that you are interacting with.
And criticism is good, but try to do so in a constructive way instead of responding in a way that will only make others upset.
lawm

Post by lawm »

StoneTheCrows wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:29 pm
lawm wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:59 pm Hear me out here. As an english speaking "trouble maker" , why dont they just make a subsection within the forum that is heavily regulated and leave the general topics to the animals? Sometimes I do have serious inquiries or suggestions and I'm restrained enough to act like an adult when I know the rules.
Then what are the rules? As far as I can tell its anarchy unless you threaten physical violence or use hate speech. Therefore I play by those rules. You got a mix of ppl who dont take this game and gaming discussion as sacredly as others. So you can lump me in with the diesel oil on my hands during the day, couple hours playing this game at night,followed by an episode or 2 of the office, seinfeld, etc. I'm saying create a sub forum with a banner stating. No sarcasm joking feuding etc etc with strict moderation. You wont see the likes of me on that sub unless I have a serious contribution.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

lawm wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:11 pm
Then what are the rules? ...
Well ... that's just my point. Why do you need to ask what are the rules of respectful discussion?

"Respectful" doesn't mean anodyne. We need robust discussion. There is a place for sarcasm and teasing. Adults ought to know the limits - and the limits are broad. Do "animals" and "trouble makers" then need a space?
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

StoneTheCrows wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:42 pm
Do "animals" and "trouble makers" then need a space?
They have one, it’s this forum
lawm

Post by lawm »

StoneTheCrows wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:42 pm
lawm wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:11 pm

Then what are the rules? ...
Well ... that's just my point. Why do you need to ask what are the rules of respectful discussion?

"Respectful" doesn't mean anodyne. We need robust discussion. There is a place for sarcasm and teasing. Adults ought to know the limits - and the limits are broad. Do "animals" and "trouble makers" then need a space?
Gav mentioned a complete lack of moderation. I'm a big boy I have no qualms dealing with stuff on my own. Moderators can inform you on how many times I have reported anyone on here.....zero. I'm saying separate the riff raff from the intellectual conversations is all. Or dont lol.
Bobble2020

Post by Bobble2020 »

I have totally given up with Discord and those places , If a game doesn't have its own forum then there is something seriously wrong

I read most of the posts on here but once they become just a series of bashing each other then i move on to another post and ignore them
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

iwan073 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:12 pm Forums like these are places where you can post and read things back whenever you like.
Whereas discord is a chat, where if you weren’t there at the right moment, you’ll miss what’s been said.
^^THIS!