Why is Giants pushing Discord

SimulatedFarmer

Re: Why is Giants pushing Discord

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

Don't like Discord. Do like forums. Can get along without either. I don't think "progress" as determined by the most recent and "modern" format is always better. Bigger and Better and Stronger got us where we are in this crazy world today. I don't suppose I want to go back to the Dark Ages, either.

Anyway, there's a place for both Discord and this forum. I just choose to use the forum in part because I don't like live chat too much online. In person, great. Online? Give me a forum any day.
ValhallSN95

Post by ValhallSN95 »

I personally prefer the forums to discord any day, like others have said discord is live chat, and if you missed something oh well...I used discord when we run with Gridlife because there was pretty much no other way to keep up with events on the go, but it got old fast, especially when I missed announcements for postponed or cancelled events...

I prefer having something I can check at my own leisure to go back and read what I may have missed.
Chris Birdsong Wolfforth, TX
Grew up running a 4430 on my granddads farm

Xbox Series X / Xbox Series X / Xbox Series S
FS22 7,545hrs FS19 10,965hrs
FS17 (XB1) 7,910hrs FS17 (PC) 1,297hrs
FS15 7,620hrs FS13 7,877hrs
johnlinden

Post by johnlinden »

If I look for information from a company, I look at thier website, as I would not trust a third party website to have all the info as orginally provided by the company. So I look to thier own platform for info. Discord means nothing to me.
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

I have said many times over the years that Discord is no replacement for a forum. Discord is about as useful as a Twitter feed, there is no way to properly put over an idea/concept or pick apart an earlier post by someone else if you disagree with it, because unless you reply right away the context of your reply is lost.

With a forum, you can read what someone has posted, read the replies and form a coherent response to the points you agree or disagree with (or just post a rapid response).

But Giants have allowed this forum to degenerate into a mess with very little moderation by ignoring it and not taking it seriously. Moderation should not only be a volunteer job, there should be staff at Giants who are responsible for the forum as part of their job, the Community Manager should be engaging with the community here. Any volunteer MODs should be in addition to the regular staff and not be required to do the heavy lifting of looking after the forum.

How do they fix it now?
I think the only way Giants could fix it now would to draw a line and come down hard on anyone breaching the rules, but do it consistently. Start throwing around warnings, if they fail 24hr/7 day bans as required, if people are making multiple accounts to troll kick them, but do something please. But a stick alone won't fix things, Giants need to engage with the community and stop hiding and show that they give a stuff.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

this_is_gav wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:15 pm
He's right. Some of the vile comments, almost complete lack of moderation here and the constant hostility and x vs y that every thread descends into (in the English section at least) means this forum is, well, "rubbish".

I only still visit as I much prefer the forum platform than Discord.

Discord only fragments the FS community. The GIANTS Discord server has little in the way of knowledgeable or sensible discussions and third-party Discord servers only further separate players and modders so decent info about playing or modding is spread all over the place, and ultimately lost. I'm only relieved I happen to be in one of the better servers.

The GDN forum, meant for modding help, is dead too.

Frankly for a decent community a new site would need to be formed by bulldozing both GDN and closing this forum - ideally to a read-only state so what little modding info out there isn't lost, but I doubt GDPR would allow that - though that might depend where the forum is hosted (Switzerland aren't in the EU, and GIANTS are officially Swiss)). Make a new site from the ground up, with usernames tied to the game, bug tracker, ModHub and so on. Make it a hub for developers, players and modders. Don't take a draconian stance, but don't stand for the sort of stuff this forum has descended into either - a focus on quality and information, not member numbers.

It's such a shame the FS community no longer has any decent third-party forums as it's a much better form of discussion for improving and modding for the game.
This went well..... :lol:

"No worries, now that we are two, the Forums will see more attention again :) "

viewtopic.php?f=876&t=143547&p=1113564#p1113564
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

I have not seen any community manager here, you only see them when they have something to sell. They do not respond on problems, bugreports at the bugtracker are still open after one month without any answer or comment. I quote Stegei message about next patch, no reply.

But why the heck do they have community managers at all? Better send them home en hire some good developers.

And diiscord, what a Mess, they even don't have a mobile website, it's just a long chat and not really a way to find anything.

I'm back to FS17 now, 19 was worse then 17, it never took me like 17 did. Can't tell much about 22 now because of the stutters on Xbox, but in the end most added stuff of 19 and 22 was already done by modders on FS17. Sounds on 17 are way better then 19 and even 22, also 17 look more real, 19 and 22 are way too cartoony. So I do not see many advantages on the new versions, the way Giants behave is even worse and shameless with total disrespect for their customers.
Last edited by Lexie on Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SimulatedFarmer

I’m reading a lot about Xbox stutters, but I haven’t experienced much at all. I have no idea what might be different.
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

Xbox Series consoles have a lot of stutters, it seems to be better while using a 120hz screen
SimulatedFarmer

My better success is no doubt due to my husband’s hot tv, then. I don’t have all that many mods installed, yet either.
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

I have zero mods installed, so thats not the issue.
SimulatedFarmer

Wow! That must be frustrating!
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

this_is_gav wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:15 pm He's right. Some of the vile comments, almost complete lack of moderation here and the constant hostility and x vs y that every thread descends into (in the English section at least) means this forum is, well, "rubbish".
This problems here could easily be solved with any form of moderation. They can merge all the hate threads into on big thread, instead of having 15 threads hating the same things. I used to like to stir the pot, but at least I never felt like I went over the line and if I did, I was quick to delete and apologize. But there has been all out anarchy here lately. Just my 2 cents. I have also been on other forums, where they had a stict ban on multiple accounts from the same IP address to cut down on burner accounts.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

So they are talking abour a community and they are totally abcent on the forums.... Right
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

Hmmm interesting how Discord is right up front; and forums are described as very last century.

Discord is owned by Sony and there is talk of direct integration into the PS5, and maybe the PS4.