Cattle don't eat silage?

deerefarm

Re: Cattle don't eat silage?

Post by deerefarm »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:23 pm
lawm wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:13 pm
SMH Lol

Edit for clarification....I'm SMH at the Peta comment not what Paul said. Meant to crop that out and forgot.
Personally I think it’s as ridiculous as believing that kids playing GTA will decide to go out, shoot someone with a shotgun and steal their car. But then who knows really :mrgreen:
And to think the US Army paid a game company to develop a FPS so they could test out people's reflexes an possibly use it as a recruiting tool....
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
tom1979

Post by tom1979 »

Would anyone know the name of the file I need to look at in order to allow feeding silage?
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

deerefarm wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:28 pm
And to think the US Army paid a game company to develop a FPS so they could test out people's reflexes an possibly use it as a recruiting tool....
Actually I can see the logic in that to a certain extent but that’s quite different to playing call of duty then going on a rampage. Maybe it’s just that my brain doesn’t work that way, I will happily race round the streets in Forza but am very safe when I’m actually on the road :mrgreen:
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:27 pmI suppose that had giants implemented an abattoir they could just as easily have been seen as glorifying/promoting the perceived cruelty they believe goes on everywhere. Easier just to stick with selling them to the animal dealer I guess.
Indeed. Abattoirs/slaughterhouses or on-site butchery (which do exist in the UK at least and are growing in numbers, though they're not common) aren't necessary. They would add nothing to the game. For meat products you buy animals, breed them, grow them and sell them - that's essentially reality anyway.

If map makers (or PETA) are desperate to add abattoirs to their maps then that's their choice, though I doubt they'll make it to the ModHub.

Rasping rabbit wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:33 pm Actually I can see the logic in that to a certain extent but that’s quite different to playing call of duty then going on a rampage. Maybe it’s just that my brain doesn’t work that way, I will happily race round the streets in Forza but am very safe when I’m actually on the road :mrgreen:
I've been a fairly successful sim-racer in years gone by (2000-2009 or so) and was pretty handy in karts at the time too, but I'm a steady driver on the roads and always have been, even when I had a racing replica motorbike. I don't see the point in speeding anywhere - keep the adrenaline for the track - I'll take anyone on there.
lawm

Post by lawm »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:23 pm
lawm wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:13 pm
SMH Lol

Edit for clarification....I'm SMH at the Peta comment not what Paul said. Meant to crop that out and forgot.
Personally I think it’s as ridiculous as believing that kids playing GTA will decide to go out, shoot someone with a shotgun and steal their car. But then who knows really :mrgreen:
Maybe impossible whopper patties will be part of productions someday....I joke I joke lol
lawm

Post by lawm »

this_is_gav wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:42 pm

I've been a fairly successful sim-racer in years gone by (2000-2009 or so) and was pretty handy in karts at the time too, but I'm a steady driver on the roads and always have been, even when I had a racing replica motorbike. I don't see the point in speeding anywhere - keep the adrenaline for the track - I'll take anyone on there.
See for me I struggle with video racing games. Not sure what it is but I can never judge distance and my momentum in a game without staring down a speedometer. But I'm very good in the seat. Those days are long gone and certainly when you have a CDL they can yank
NDDan

Post by NDDan »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:27 pm
this_is_gav wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:20 pm
Rasping rabbit wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:51 pm The other reason is Giants had a quite public run in with PETA quite a while ago, maybe around fs15 or even 13 launch. The issue from what I remember wasn’t as simple as kids finding out that Porky the pet pig ends up as tasty sausages, but more to do with the issue of making sure that the message of how the animals were killed and promoting humane practices was the problem. I would imagine it’s not the easiest message to get across so selling the animals to the animal market is easier.
The issue was that PETA (in an open letter to GIANTS) wanted GIANTS to show the gory details in their games to show the perceived cruelty they think all abattoirs are guilty of.

While I'm sure some are guilty of such cruelty (and let's not bring religion into this), GIANTS probably read said letter and threw it straight into the bin, and rightly so.
Ah fair enough, I was on the right lines but the wrong side of the argument. It was a good few years ago since I read it. I suppose that had giants implemented an abattoir they could just as easily have been seen as glorifying/promoting the perceived cruelty they believe goes on everywhere. Easier just to stick with selling them to the animal dealer I guess.
Seems like a public run in with PETA would be good advertising.
There’s no place like utopia.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

this_is_gav wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:13 pm
I've reported it as a bug to one of the devs on one of the Discord servers I'm on, so let's see if it's changed in the next patches.
I do hope it gets changed as it is something we always could do so why remove it.
Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

It’s not good when you get features missing on a new release, grazing was a great realistic improvement and after all they do still eat grass, you just have to bring it in to them but as for silage, I find myself having to make hay just so I can feed them silage, Pemberton farm don’t even make hay! they just mix silage with root crops they bring in and bale straw off a neighbour’s field
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

Animals are too much like productions. Add X material and get Y material out. There is no care for animals...you don't get attached...they are only a number in the menu.

You just check if they have enough food via the menu and thats it. There is some more care involved in horses but not nearly enough.

One way i could make animals interesting in FS19 was with the Seasons mod. Too bad they implemented the retard version in 22 and animals are totally unimmerssive.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

h3rich wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:22 pm Animals are too much like productions. Add X material and get Y material out. There is no care for animals...you don't get attached...they are only a number in the menu.

You just check if they have enough food via the menu and thats it. There is some more care involved in horses but not nearly enough.

One way i could make animals interesting in FS19 was with the Seasons mod. Too bad they implemented the retard version in 22 and animals are totally unimmerssive.
Well if you simplify stuff that fits for almost everyone play style, yes they are like productions. Irl you want to make sure they have food, water, and look at every animal. The game isn't going to give you the option to give pigs or cattle shots. They aren't also going to make you pull out dead animals. Now dairy cows take more care than beef cattle. I wish giants would have implemented the different operation styles like seasons 19 did, but they probably didn't because they didn't want to confuse the casual user. Look at the uproar there was for people not being able to plant anytime they wanted.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:38 pm Well if you simplify stuff that fits for almost everyone play style, yes they are like productions. Irl you want to make sure they have food, water, and look at every animal. The game isn't going to give you the option to give pigs or cattle shots. They aren't also going to make you pull out dead animals. Now dairy cows take more care than beef cattle. I wish giants would have implemented the different operation styles like seasons 19 did, but they probably didn't because they didn't want to confuse the casual user. Look at the uproar there was for people not being able to plant anytime they wanted.
Good points... i know there are lots of things on the wish list that will never be implemented. But some things were also removed...like cleaning after animals. Why are we able to give animals feed for more than one day or two days? I feel like they completely removed the taking care part from all animals except horses and just made them into productions.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Yeah that is another weird thing to get rid of. I never liked when I put tmr in, why do I get silage out.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Sparkcykel95

Post by Sparkcykel95 »

this_is_gav wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:13 pm
humbe wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:36 pm I noticed that too when starting FS22.. Assumed it was a base game change, likely because they don't normally eat raw silage in real life? I have no idea.. I would also assume it required a mod to adjust what they can eat.
Cattle were fed pure silage historically, but I don't know if that's still the case. Still, you should be able to feed it to them with a reproduction and/or milk efficiency penalty, as in previous games.

I've confirmed it (on Calmsden then Elmcreek with no mods) and neither bale or loose silage can be given to cattle.

I've reported it as a bug to one of the devs on one of the Discord servers I'm on, so let's see if it's changed in the next patches.
Cows eat "raw"silage. I work with bulls and my father inlaw has beefcows.
The bulls at work eat silage, and a mixture of silage, straw and "whole grains", which is oats cut in the last "green" stage. and at my father inlaw feeds his cows hay or silage. So I dont understand why you cant give them only silage in fs22.. Im starting to disslike the FS series more and more for every game that comes out
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

There is no magic answer as it all depends on the farm and the farmer. Some farmers use TMR like the game does, some farmers use haylage instead of silage, and some just use hay, or a combination of hay and milled corn. "How Farm Work" feed their beef cows hay and milled corn. On our dairy farm we fed the dairy cows a mix of hay, haylage, corn silage, and mineral pellets and or brewers grains. The beef cows got hay and mineral feed. Some of the hay was Alfalfa,while some was more "meadow" grass. No silage, or haylage for the beef cows. Some farmers make their silage out of corn, others grass, some both, as they have different nutritional content.
Giant's just seem to have kept it simple and made TMR the standard, especially as there is no Alfalfa in the game nor is there a difference between corn or grass silage.
Secondly you have to remember that the "game" is aimed at the average Joe who before FS had no idea what TMR was let alone Alfalfa.
Finally they did add mineral feed this time around, but since it has no "production" benefit like it does in RL, I don't bother with it as it's just a money sink.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms