Cattle don't eat silage?

paul_c

Re: Cattle don't eat silage?

Post by paul_c »

deerefarm wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:36 pm There is no magic answer as it all depends on the farm and the farmer. Some farmers use TMR like the game does, some farmers use haylage instead of silage, and some just use hay, or a combination of hay and milled corn. "How Farm Work" feed their beef cows hay and milled corn. On our dairy farm we fed the dairy cows a mix of hay, haylage, corn silage, and mineral pellets. The beef cows got hay and mineral feed. Some of the hay was Alfalfa,while some was more "meadow" grass. No silage, or haylage for the beef cows. Some farmers make their silage out of corn, others grass, some both, as they have different nutritional content.
Giant's just seem to have kept it simple and made TMR the standard, especially as there is no Alfalfa in the game nor is there a difference between corn or grass silage.
Secondly you have to remember that the "game" is aimed at the average Joe who before FS had no idea what TMR was let alone Alfalfa.
Finally they did add mineral feed this time around, but since it has no "production" benefit like it does in RL, I don't bother with it as it's just a money sink.
Actually, there is a "right" answer - or a feed which is more right than wrong - if one fully understood the science behind it. There's different levels of complexity, obviously, but it would be nice to see some element of science in it rather than the game's arbitrary choice of what to include. On a basic level you'd make sure its one of a list of foods cows/cattle eat in real life - eg silage/grass/hay+corn or something along those lines. Next step up, you might want to include the relative energy level of each food - cows need a minimum energy if they're producing milk too, unless they "milk off their back" and lose condition.

Then you could include an appreciation of crude protein level too, and making sure macrominerals are supplied. And start to tie in yield of milk (or growth, or condition) with the amount and quality of the feed supplied. How about in-parlour feeding vs barrier vs grass? Highs & lows? This is 1970s agriscience, very well established and widely peer reviewed, but nowadays out of date.

If you really wanted to, you could do a proper analysis of feeds including DCP vs ME balance and microminerals too.

Really though, I think Giants should consider grazing and grassland management, or at least touch upon it, because that too is a massively important part of farming and dairying these days.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

You also don't want to over feed cattle starting out. You want them to keep lining up at the troughs.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
tom1979

Post by tom1979 »

Giants are based in Switzerland and have places in Czech Republic and Germany, perhaps things are done differently in those areas and the game mechanics is based upon that. But I suspect it really boils down to a lack of knowledge involved (take the base-game maps as examples, which remind me of a fancy FarmVille) and some of us are more enthusiast about realism than they had planned for. That being said, most of these things have been done before by way of mods such as Seasons, Real Life Numbers, MaizePlus etc, and Giants have had plenty of time to delve into the workings of these mods, if they had wished, and they would easily see the popularity of these mods.

Real Life Numbers was a great mod. I forget the chaps name but he put a great deal of effort into it and did a lot of research to make it what it was. His version for FS22 is also good, although I did read somewhere he didn’t have the enthusiasm to go through all that again! I don’t blame him either.

So far FS22 feels like one step sideways and half a step forwards. I still like it though, just more realism would be good.
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

tom1979 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:21 pm Real Life Numbers was a great mod. I forget the chaps name but he put a great deal of effort into it and did a lot of research to make it what it was. His version for FS22 is also good, although I did read somewhere he didn’t have the enthusiasm to go through all that again! I don’t blame him either.
https://www.modhoster.com/mods/fs22_rea ... escription
He may not have the same enthusiasm, but he's definitely still working on the mod. RLN was one of my favorite mods for 19, though I have yet to try it on 22 (I'm waiting to harvest everything so I don't lose my crops on Calmsden.) It seems to introduce the possibility (or, at least further the possibility) of failure. If nothing else, download the mod and read through the Docs section. It's very informative. I'm wondering if he "fixed" the problem of feeding silage to cows. It's definitely still done in my neck of the woods.

His name is Kaj-Aage Henneberg, and he goes by ArmChairFarming.
Playing on PC
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Hopefully we will see maize plus come along as that allowed for a far greater customization of animal feeding in 19.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Jimbob0704 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:02 pm It’s not good when you get features missing on a new release, grazing was a great realistic improvement
One of the many,many great features that the Seasons mod gave us which Giants did not implement in the watered down seasonal cycles *thumbsdown*
tom1979

Post by tom1979 »

hpmc13 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:00 am
tom1979 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:21 pm Real Life Numbers was a great mod. I forget the chaps name but he put a great deal of effort into it and did a lot of research to make it what it was. His version for FS22 is also good, although I did read somewhere he didn’t have the enthusiasm to go through all that again! I don’t blame him either.
https://www.modhoster.com/mods/fs22_rea ... escription
He may not have the same enthusiasm, but he's definitely still working on the mod. RLN was one of my favorite mods for 19, though I have yet to try it on 22 (I'm waiting to harvest everything so I don't lose my crops on Calmsden.) It seems to introduce the possibility (or, at least further the possibility) of failure. If nothing else, download the mod and read through the Docs section. It's very informative. I'm wondering if he "fixed" the problem of feeding silage to cows. It's definitely still done in my neck of the woods.

His name is Kaj-Aage Henneberg, and he goes by ArmChairFarming.
I’ve been using his FS22 version for about a week. Considering how compact it is compared to the FS19 version it’s still very good.

If I could find a way of getting into the dataS.rar archive then I think adding silage to the feed would be fairly straightforward, but so far I haven’t been able to as there seems to be very little info about it
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

tom1979 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:02 amIf I could find a way of getting into the dataS.rar archive then I think adding silage to the feed would be fairly straightforward, but so far I haven’t been able to as there seems to be very little info about it
I've been trying to do the same for a bit as well. I can't seem to find a straight up answer to what a .gar file really is. I assume it's a compressed file - like a .rar - but I'll be darned if I can find a program or method that will let me open or edit it. If I get there, I'll let you know.
Out of curiosity, could this be changed in FS19 or previous? The folks who did seasons changed it, I think, so it must be possible.
I'm also trying to change the cowsheds to take hay instead of/as well as straw for bedding. We used hay on the dairy farm where I spent my summers (they still do) so that I do not have to harvest straw (or buy it) if I'm running a large cow farm.
Playing on PC
tom1979

Post by tom1979 »

hpmc13 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:13 pm
tom1979 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:02 amIf I could find a way of getting into the dataS.rar archive then I think adding silage to the feed would be fairly straightforward, but so far I haven’t been able to as there seems to be very little info about it
I've been trying to do the same for a bit as well. I can't seem to find a straight up answer to what a .gar file really is. I assume it's a compressed file - like a .rar - but I'll be darned if I can find a program or method that will let me open or edit it. If I get there, I'll let you know.
Out of curiosity, could this be changed in FS19 or previous? The folks who did seasons changed it, I think, so it must be possible.
I'm also trying to change the cowsheds to take hay instead of/as well as straw for bedding. We used hay on the dairy farm where I spent my summers (they still do) so that I do not have to harvest straw (or buy it) if I'm running a large cow farm.
It seems to just be some sort of archive file. I've given up for now, those that know seem to not want others to know. Hopefully the people that made Seasons and MaizePlus will come up with something at some point.
tom1979

Post by tom1979 »

this_is_gav wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:13 pm
humbe wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:36 pm I noticed that too when starting FS22.. Assumed it was a base game change, likely because they don't normally eat raw silage in real life? I have no idea.. I would also assume it required a mod to adjust what they can eat.
I've reported it as a bug to one of the devs on one of the Discord servers I'm on, so let's see if it's changed in the next patches.
Did you ever receive a response from them?
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

They acknowledged it "sounded like a bug", but I've no idea if it went further than that.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

I managed to get to the elusive animalFood.xml file in the dataS file a while back, and have been using a customised version in my game for quite a while now and also add it to every modmap I download. I re-added Silage to the Cows food and also made sure they consumed their food in Parrallel so they eat TMR, Hay/Silage and Grass at the same time and will consume all three, similar to how Pigs eat all their food choices at the same time.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no" ?>
<animalFood xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="../../shared/xml/schema/animalFood.xsd">
    <animals>
        <animal animalType="COW" consumptionType="PARALLEL">
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_forage"  productionWeight="1.00" fillTypes="FORAGE" />
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_hay"     productionWeight="0.80" fillTypes="DRYGRASS_WINDROW SILAGE"/>
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_grass"   productionWeight="0.40" fillTypes="GRASS_WINDROW" />
        </animal>
        <animal animalType="SHEEP" consumptionType="SERIAL">
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_grass"   productionWeight="1.00" fillTypes="GRASS_WINDROW DRYGRASS_WINDROW" />
        </animal>
        <animal animalType="PIG" consumptionType="PARALLEL">
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_base"    productionWeight="0.50" eatWeight="0.35" fillTypes="MAIZE SORGHUM" />
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_grain"   productionWeight="0.25" eatWeight="0.25" fillTypes="WHEAT BARLEY" />
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_protein" productionWeight="0.20" eatWeight="0.25" fillTypes="SOYBEAN CANOLA SUNFLOWER" />
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_earth"   productionWeight="0.05" eatWeight="0.15" fillTypes="POTATO SUGARBEET" />
        </animal>
        <animal animalType="HORSE" consumptionType="PARALLEL">
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_bulk"    productionWeight="0.60" eatWeight="0.25" fillTypes="OAT SORGHUM"/>
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_hay"     productionWeight="0.40" eatWeight="0.75" fillTypes="DRYGRASS_WINDROW" />
        </animal>
        <animal animalType="CHICKEN" consumptionType="SERIAL">
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_grain"   productionWeight="1.00" fillTypes="WHEAT BARLEY SORGHUM" />
        </animal>
    </animals>
    <mixtures>
        <mixture animalType="PIG" fillType="PIGFOOD" >
            <ingredient fillTypes="MAIZE SORGHUM" weight="0.25" />
            <ingredient fillTypes="WHEAT BARLEY" weight="0.25" />
            <ingredient fillTypes="SOYBEAN CANOLA SUNFLOWER" weight="0.25" />
            <ingredient fillTypes="POTATO SUGARBEET" weight="0.25" />
        </mixture>
    </mixtures>
    <recipes>
        <recipe fillType="FORAGE" >
            <ingredient name="dryGrass"    title="$l10n_fillType_dryGrass"    fillTypes="DRYGRASS_WINDROW" minPercentage="20" maxPercentage="75" />
            <ingredient name="silage"      title="$l10n_fillType_silage"      fillTypes="SILAGE"           minPercentage="20" maxPercentage="75" />
            <ingredient name="straw"       title="$l10n_fillType_straw"       fillTypes="STRAW"            minPercentage="0"  maxPercentage="30" />
            <ingredient name="mineralFeed" title="$l10n_fillType_mineralFeed" fillTypes="MINERAL_FEED"     minPercentage="0"  maxPercentage="7" />
        </recipe>
    </recipes>
</animalFood>
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

I'll have too see if I can find that file, I'm eagerly awaiting the day Maize plus drops and makes the animal side far more than it is currently.
JaVaDy

Post by JaVaDy »

I downloaded the mod and took a quick peek inside the documentation. This a "high grade" mod and I will reserve some time to study it before starting a new game.

ArmChairFarming did some fine work (understatement)
Former Xbox One S player, now on PC :-D
Ekan

Post by Ekan »

cwattyeso wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:47 pm I managed to get to the elusive animalFood.xml file in the dataS file a while back, and have been using a customised version in my game for quite a while now and also add it to every modmap I download. I re-added Silage to the Cows food and also made sure they consumed their food in Parrallel so they eat TMR, Hay/Silage and Grass at the same time and will consume all three, similar to how Pigs eat all their food choices at the same time.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no" ?>
<animalFood xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="../../shared/xml/schema/animalFood.xsd">
    <animals>
        <animal animalType="COW" consumptionType="PARALLEL">
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_forage"  productionWeight="1.00" fillTypes="FORAGE" />
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_hay"     productionWeight="0.80" fillTypes="DRYGRASS_WINDROW SILAGE"/>
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_grass"   productionWeight="0.40" fillTypes="GRASS_WINDROW" />
        </animal>
        <animal animalType="SHEEP" consumptionType="SERIAL">
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_grass"   productionWeight="1.00" fillTypes="GRASS_WINDROW DRYGRASS_WINDROW" />
        </animal>
        <animal animalType="PIG" consumptionType="PARALLEL">
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_base"    productionWeight="0.50" eatWeight="0.35" fillTypes="MAIZE SORGHUM" />
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_grain"   productionWeight="0.25" eatWeight="0.25" fillTypes="WHEAT BARLEY" />
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_protein" productionWeight="0.20" eatWeight="0.25" fillTypes="SOYBEAN CANOLA SUNFLOWER" />
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_earth"   productionWeight="0.05" eatWeight="0.15" fillTypes="POTATO SUGARBEET" />
        </animal>
        <animal animalType="HORSE" consumptionType="PARALLEL">
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_bulk"    productionWeight="0.60" eatWeight="0.25" fillTypes="OAT SORGHUM"/>
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_hay"     productionWeight="0.40" eatWeight="0.75" fillTypes="DRYGRASS_WINDROW" />
        </animal>
        <animal animalType="CHICKEN" consumptionType="SERIAL">
            <foodGroup title="$l10n_fillTypeGroup_grain"   productionWeight="1.00" fillTypes="WHEAT BARLEY SORGHUM" />
        </animal>
    </animals>
    <mixtures>
        <mixture animalType="PIG" fillType="PIGFOOD" >
            <ingredient fillTypes="MAIZE SORGHUM" weight="0.25" />
            <ingredient fillTypes="WHEAT BARLEY" weight="0.25" />
            <ingredient fillTypes="SOYBEAN CANOLA SUNFLOWER" weight="0.25" />
            <ingredient fillTypes="POTATO SUGARBEET" weight="0.25" />
        </mixture>
    </mixtures>
    <recipes>
        <recipe fillType="FORAGE" >
            <ingredient name="dryGrass"    title="$l10n_fillType_dryGrass"    fillTypes="DRYGRASS_WINDROW" minPercentage="20" maxPercentage="75" />
            <ingredient name="silage"      title="$l10n_fillType_silage"      fillTypes="SILAGE"           minPercentage="20" maxPercentage="75" />
            <ingredient name="straw"       title="$l10n_fillType_straw"       fillTypes="STRAW"            minPercentage="0"  maxPercentage="30" />
            <ingredient name="mineralFeed" title="$l10n_fillType_mineralFeed" fillTypes="MINERAL_FEED"     minPercentage="0"  maxPercentage="7" />
        </recipe>
    </recipes>
</animalFood>
But that's a GAR file the animal xml are located, how do you open that? I would like to change the food for cows aswell, been waiting for a mod but still havent seen any.
FS since 2012 :hi:
"Immersive farmplay & detail fanatic"

PC: :gamer:
Acer "28" NItro XVO (4k)
Geforce RTX 3070
i7-8700k 5ghz (OC) (3.70ghz)
HyperX fury 32gb RAM
M.2 970 evoPlus (500gb)
M.2 MP500 (150gb)
ROG strix Z370-F
EVGA 750w psu, Corsair cooling & chassi