Realism Old Gen Consoles vs. PS5, Xbox X?

chedly_farms

Realism Old Gen Consoles vs. PS5, Xbox X?

Post by chedly_farms »

So I downloaded Calmsden Farm last night and just wanted to play around on the map, just to check things out. Everything has a plastic toy, dare I say "fake" feel to it. The details on the map are nice, I can tell OxygenDavid put out a very nice product with how the farms are and the ground textures. But I'm more or less talking about how everything was rendered through the game itself. I noticed this a little bit on Elm Creek. But I feel the plastic toy feel came out a little bit more on Calmsden because it should feel more realistic, and I feel that on my system it does the exact opposite. So my question for everyone on the newer consoles and on PC, does Calmsden have a realistic feel on your systems? I would assume it does because of the more detail that can be rendered on your systems. When I watch people playing on PC it has a better feeling to it than when I play it. Are other older console players noticing this at all? While all the trees made things stutter a bit on 19, I felt they felt more real where as on 22, they have a "kids game" feel to them. I'm just assuming my system is limited to rendering things how it should because of how old it is and the game is truly meant to run on newer systems.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
blue_painted

Re: Realism Old Gen Consoles vs. PS5, Xbox X?

Post by blue_painted »

It does feel much more real to me, but whether that's because it's my part of the world so I can relate to it more, or whether it's because I play in-cab most of the time, or whether it really does look and feel better on my PCs I'm not sure. The screenshots on OxygenDavid's FB are, as I understand it, without any post-processing or graphic card shaders and mine look the same ... maybe not so nicely framed.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
h3rich

Post by h3rich »

There really is no realism in Farming simulator. Everything looks and feels like a toy. I play on PC (almost max settings) and compared to other simulation games FS isn't even in the same ballpark...it looks cartoonish and unfinished with textures and mirrors still flickering. Colors and textures are completely wrong..

I don't think it matters what system you play on. It will always look like a cartoon.
garyst

Post by garyst »

I haven't played calmsden farm but I get what you are saying. I play on Xbox series s and to me the graphics look like a Thomas Kincade painting. I have gotten used to it though and don't mind it anymore.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

h3rich wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:17 pm There really is no realism in Farming simulator. Everything looks and feels like a toy. I play on PC (almost max settings) and compared to other simulation games FS isn't even in the same ballpark...it looks cartoonish and unfinished with textures and mirrors still flickering. Colors and textures are completely wrong..

I don't think it matters what system you play on. It will always look like a cartoon.
That's a shame. Some maps made the game feel real on 19. Not completely, but real enough where I could get lost in it, if you know what I mean. I hate to gripe, but I haven't had that feeling yet on 22. I'm hoping I can resonate with some map at some point. I guess I'll just keep waiting and go back to 19, while checking each new map that comes out on 22.

chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

garyst wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:20 pm I haven't played calmsden farm but I get what you are saying. I play on Xbox series s and to me the graphics look like a Thomas Kincade painting. I have gotten used to it though and don't mind it anymore.
I had to google Thomas Kincade, shame on me. But yes I see it. There is a lot of chiaroscuro effectiveness going on here. Mashing darks and lights with definitive edges, where nothing blends together. And that gives it that toy box feeling, I'm trying to express.

h3rich

Post by h3rich »

chedly_farms wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:22 pm That's a shame. Some maps made the game feel real on 19. Not completely, but real enough where I could get lost in it, if you know what I mean. I hate to gripe, but I haven't had that feeling yet on 22. I'm hoping I can resonate with some map at some point. I guess I'll just keep waiting and go back to 19, while checking each new map that comes out on 22.
FS19 was much better color-wise for me too. The one thing that keeps me with FS22 is the Sounds... I can't play without them anymore..the trailer and telehandler hydraulics sounds are awesome, engine sounds are much better and overall much more detailed than other parts of the game.

I can get over the cartoony graphics as i know there is a posibillity on PC to change the shader and some other settings.

What i can't get over are physics that are still not fixed after more than 10 years. The hydraulic cranes are usually from 1 tone to a few tones lifting capacity. But in FS i can lift a 30tone machine with them no problem when i hit the ground with the claws. And objects are still all like feathers...floating around when you are close...
nsp32

Post by nsp32 »

FS22 looked and felt like a cartoon on my PS4 pro 4K compared to FS19.I was so disappointed I brought a PS5.So so much better.Brought the game alive in the look and graphics.Calmsden looks very realistic and a nice detailed map.One or 2 bugs but nothing game killing.In comparisons FS19 looks the same on the PS4 and PS5.In my experience next gen console is the way forward.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

nsp32 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:51 pm FS22 looked and felt like a cartoon on my PS4 pro 4K compared to FS19.I was so disappointed I brought a PS5.So so much better.Brought the game alive in the look and graphics.Calmsden looks very realistic and a nice detailed map.One or 2 bugs but nothing game killing.In comparisons FS19 looks the same on the PS4 and PS5.In my experience next gen console is the way forward.
Ok, this is what I was hoping for. I have to take everyone else's word for it. So thank you.

garyst

Post by garyst »

chedly_farms wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:28 pm
garyst wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:20 pm I haven't played calmsden farm but I get what you are saying. I play on Xbox series s and to me the graphics look like a Thomas Kincade painting. I have gotten used to it though and don't mind it anymore.
I had to google Thomas Kincade, shame on me. But yes I see it. There is a lot of chiaroscuro effectiveness going on here. Mashing darks and lights with definitive edges, where nothing blends together. And that gives it that toy box feeling, I'm trying to express.
Now I will have to go Google chiaroscuro :lol:
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

garyst wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:10 pm
chedly_farms wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:28 pm
Now I will have to go Google chiaroscuro :lol:
I'm a graphic designer, and we had a very eccentric teacher in art school, teach us about Chiaroscuro. They way he pronounced it, it made it feel exotic. It's the process of placing light colors and dark colors near each other to create an effect.

nsp32

Post by nsp32 »

chedly_farms wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:04 pm
nsp32 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:51 pm FS22 looked and felt like a cartoon on my PS4 pro 4K compared to FS19.I was so disappointed I brought a PS5.So so much better.Brought the game alive in the look and graphics.Calmsden looks very realistic and a nice detailed map.One or 2 bugs but nothing game killing.In comparisons FS19 looks the same on the PS4 and PS5.In my experience next gen console is the way forward.
Ok, this is what I was hoping for. I have to take everyone else's word for it. So thank you.
I pre ordered FS22 and when it installed I was so disappointed in it compared to 19.I was one of the “want a refund” brigade it was that disappointing.But I joined this forum,had a look around it it seemed every version(I only started on 19 when it was well established)is the same the first few months.I think I read FS22 was designed really for next gen consoles/or you get the best from a next gen console.I’ve been hooked on 22 now since a week after it came out.Yes there’s bugs,but nothing game killing.The new sounds amongst other features do it for me.It’s a different game to 19 and needs a different approach.But I’m so glad I brought a next gen ps5.Still use the same 4K tv as the PS4 pro,but it really does look and feel so much better than the old gen console.Just depends if you can find a new gen console as supply/stock is non existent in shops.I paid £70 more for my disk version from eBay compared
to shop prices.But it was worth it.
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

I like Thomas Kincade pantings, but not really the looks of FS22. Also FS19 does have have this unrealistic look, FS17 still looks more realistic. The buildings look like they are toys, especially on the default maps. The buildings on the french map are old, but looking like they are build yesterday. Same with trees, to bright and fake.

Seasons on FS19 made a difference in colors and lightning, but maybe we don't get a realismus mod anymore.

Souns on FS17 are still better, on FS19 they were awfull. So for me, they take the wrong turn after FS17, the engine "upgrade" in FS19 was stepping back for shadows, lightning, feel and looks.
DEERE318

Post by DEERE318 »

OT but, I'm learning about art here, and I appreciate it. I googled both Chiaroscuro and Thomas Kinkade, I really like his work.
humbe

Post by humbe »

My very first impression of FS19 to FS22 change was that it was a bit more cartoonish.. Though hard to state exactly what made it so, I suspect the trees at low graphic quality where one of the reason.

But now that I've got a new PC and a Geforce 3070 Ti with everything maxed, I think it looks great. Of course I see it's not real, but the bits that makes it not real is more about repeating patterns than actual quality. The trees on the built in maps I think looks a bit more fake, and I see that the same tree repeats and are reused many times within the same view, but on Calmsden I think the trees looks more naturally placed. And while I haven't noticed repeating patterns on the tree, of course a mile long stone wall would have more variety to it than a repeating pattern in a game, but you can't expect every piece of such a wall to be uniquely made. Repeating patterns is a way to reuse a high quality piece so it looks good without infinite work..

I think the cartoonish look might at least partially be about how rendering works in FS19 and FS22 in lower graphical quality modes.

The major breakthrough for me is to be able to see quite far and have a background outside the 2x2 map that fits the playable part so you have seemless transition between close good quality, further bad quality, and behind the playable area.. Not all crop states have good transitions from good to bad quality outside the good quality circle, but more states than in FS19 looks better..

One that is wrong, is for instance harvested wheat.. Which is brown if looked upon from on top, but if looking sideways, it is still yellow due to all the stubs that's left, but the poor quality render is brown..