Pallet stacking is driving me nuts

ruairiau

Pallet stacking is driving me nuts

Post by ruairiau »

The most frustrating part of this game has to be stacking pallets. It's tedious at best when it works, when it doesn't, it's terrifyingly chaotic; on many occasions a pallet of eggs has sent me flying.

I'm on console, so I can't use any super strength mods. And really, that's not what I want (nor do I want to set the green house to autosell). I think a redesign would be best. Get rid of the pallets magically appearing beside the chicken pen or the greenhouse. Make it that you need to drive to that spot then the crates slowly load onto your vehicle.

Front loaders (and the likes) are still very useful and fun for other things like stacking bales and whatever. It's just pallets that *censored*.
paul_c

Re: Pallet stacking is driving me nuts

Post by paul_c »

How are you doing them? There is a technique, follow some kind of plan and its very smooth and rewarding.
Beastbubba

Post by Beastbubba »

Physics in this game are terrible and have been since I started playing with FS15. Sadly what we have in 22 is better than it used to be. It has gotten very slightly better each release, but remains a nightmare. Autoload and dynamic storage for pallets and bales are best way to get around it...
PC gamer.
ruairiau

Post by ruairiau »

paul_c wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:22 pm How are you doing them? There is a technique, follow some kind of plan and its very smooth and rewarding.
I can do it reasonably well when it doesn't freak out. I just don't find it enjoyable and I think the game would be better without this tedious part
DEERE318

Post by DEERE318 »

It seems they took the part of the game physics that most people like the least, and that can be buggy as heck, manipulating skids, and built a whole new game version around that activity.
They don't make the hard part of loading easier by including autoload, but they do make the easier part of unloading even easier by including auto unload.
johnlinden

Post by johnlinden »

After playing two months plus, I have nicked named the game, the pallet moving sleeping game. It is what I seem to do most in the game. On 2019, lots of crops and field work, care of animals..., not so much in this game. Play on PS5.
rmab79

Post by rmab79 »

there are several threads about the same, all without any feedback or response by Giants, they should provide an option for avoid working with pallets but they never answer to these threads, then we don't know if they read it, if they take into account for provide solutions with a patch or DLC, if they can't provide a solution because there are reasons A, B and C.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

Maybe because they internally had that debate months/years ago and decided on a particular course of action - that there are pallets and they will probably need stacking, and its either slow/awkward or you get good at it. Its a shame there's bugs in the physics which cause pallets to flip around but it only seems to affect things if you slam things down or crash with a pallet on the forks or if its rough ground?
rmab79

Post by rmab79 »

paul_c wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:54 pm Maybe because they internally had that debate months/years ago and decided on a particular course of action - that there are pallets and they will probably need stacking, and its either slow/awkward or you get good at it. Its a shame there's bugs in the physics which cause pallets to flip around but it only seems to affect things if you slam things down or crash with a pallet on the forks or if its rough ground?
Maybe should be a FAQ section explaining why some things are not implemented and in this way people know the reason about a feature can not (or don't want) to be implemented in the base game but can be in scripted mods, because the consoles limitations about 3rd party scripts, generate a different gaming experience in PC and in consoles. This would be better that the current radio silence about the points that generate feature requests from console players.
humbe

Post by humbe »

I'd wager their intention is that this should work awesome, but sadly it is difficult. Yesterday I was stacking bales, and then suddenly they triggered some chain collision issue and came alive and broke up my stack.. Very sad from players point of view, but probably not an easy fix for the devs.. We have no visibility as to how big of a priority it is within Giants though so hard to know if it's a big priority, but complex, so they haven't managed to find a great solution for yet, or whether it's downprioritized. Back in FS19, if I put several big bags next to each other, they were without exceptions spread all over after reloading the game. In FS22, I've stacked tons of small bales, and they seem to stick in the same position after reload now at least, so I'd say they've done quite a bit and have had a major improvement at least. In FS19 I got away from the problem by using a bale barn, so i didn't have hundreds of bales, just a farm that had graphic representation inside.. That way, the game didn't need to calculate collisions between hundreds of objects everytime something collided with them. Also a lot easier graphics wise, not having hundreds of objects to calculate which one are visible in front and which ones aren't.

Autoloading bale trailers like the base game fliegl one meant that instead of having a trailer with 14 objects on which constantly needed to calculate collisions when bumping onto a stone on the road or whatever, I used a trailer that had a loading animation, and should show X bales on top, but no collision detection needed to be run on what was already loaded.

As long as they don't find a good solution for having a lot of objects that is manually stacked, it would be good to at least have some options, in which to combine these objects into bigger units, eliminating the problem, being custom autoload trailers, storage buildings or what.
ruairiau

Post by ruairiau »

I think transporting goods is an important part of the gameplay and economy. I'd even suggest that if they got rid of the pallets appearing beside factories and allowed you to load up a vehicle in that spot instead (similar to loading cows from a cow barn), then also get rid of the options to distribute and sell direct from factories and greenhouses.
The auto distribute and sell options are just dull. They don't add anything fun or interesting to the game.
If they have chosen not to load pallets on vehicles due to technical problems with the physics scaling, then go ahead and mandate that the items are strapped until unloaded and disable the physics. I don't think anyone really cares for physics to be simulated on payload during transit. If anything, it just causes issues.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

For anyone new here pallet, bale, and wood stacking has been pretty heavily debated in a constructive manner leading up to the release and after. Threads like this pop up because they didn’t change much of anything
humbe

Post by humbe »

Mwal wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:39 pm For anyone new here pallet, bale, and wood stacking has been pretty heavily debated in a constructive manner leading up to the release and after. Threads like this pop up because they didn’t change much of anything
Thats a pretty loaded statement. Im assuming you don't know the source code or internal project info on this, thus what you're saying is that you don't notice much of a change and that they failed to deliver on your expectations.. Which doesnt necessarily translate into that they didn't try to improve anything.

I totally agree there are important issues here, but I have noticed improvements for what Ive been doing up to now at least, but how to actually implement this in a good way isnt straight forward.

They simplify things. For instance in the real world a tractor mighy break a stick when driving over it, or break and flatten the contents of a bale, but then this is part of the simplification that a stick cant break, there will be strange physics when driving over a bent one. Same with bales. In the real world pressure would change the form of the bale but when that isnt implemented how to deal with bales that seem to occupy the same space?

I'd love to get improvements here too. But its hard for the.community to know all the gory details for why it works as is..
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

humbe wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:33 pm
Thats a pretty loaded statement. Im assuming you don't know the source code or internal project info on this, thus what you're saying is that you don't notice much of a change and that they failed to deliver on your expectations.. Which doesnt necessarily translate into that they didn't try to improve anything.

I totally agree there are important issues here, but I have noticed improvements for what Ive been doing up to now at least, but how to actually implement this in a good way isnt straight forward.

They simplify things. For instance in the real world a tractor mighy break a stick when driving over it, or break and flatten the contents of a bale, but then this is part of the simplification that a stick cant break, there will be strange physics when driving over a bent one. Same with bales. In the real world pressure would change the form of the bale but when that isnt implemented how to deal with bales that seem to occupy the same space?

I'd love to get improvements here too. But its hard for the.community to know all the gory details for why it works as is..
I’m not saying anything about what they discussed, I’m just saying it was something that members of the forum discussed in the constructive feedback thread and there were some pretty good alternatives brought up in a constructive manner. I personally don’t believe a whole lot changed and don’t think very many people who have played other games in the series do either from what I read here and other places, that’s also why I said much of anything it’s a slight change at best on a part of the game that in many’s opinion needs to be fundamentally done over especially after making it such a heavy focus. I also wasn’t directing the statement anywhere other than at the people saying that no constructive feedback was offered and that’s the problem, I’m not sure how that’s a loaded statement.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Mwal wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:04 pm ...

I’m not saying anything about what they discussed, I’m just saying it was something that members of the forum discussed in the constructive feedback thread and there were some pretty good alternatives brought up in a constructive manner. I personally don’t believe a whole lot changed and don’t think very many people who have played other games in the series do either from what I read here and other places, that’s also why I said much of anything it’s a slight change at best on a part of the game that in many’s opinion needs to be fundamentally done over especially after making it such a heavy focus. I also wasn’t directing the statement anywhere other than at the people saying that no constructive feedback was offered and that’s the problem, I’m not sure how that’s a loaded statement.
Was just referring to the "because they didn’t change much of anything" part.. But yeah. Easy to move onto that when one don't notice changes, so no worries..

Would be interesting to look at those threads.. I'll see if I can dig up any.. I'm a developer myself, and it sounds like a hard but interesting problem. I wouldn't really know where to start on it ;) What parts of physics to simulate, where to make simplifications, how to make it cheap enough to be able to run real-time. Not sure if they have their own implementation of it either, or if it possibly might be some 3rd party library they are using for it, limiting their insights and ability to change it.