Pallet stacking is driving me nuts

iwan073

Re: Pallet stacking is driving me nuts

Post by iwan073 »

Funny how they introduced production chains, which force you to handle pallets. While they did ZERO about the physics of these pallets.

A reason for me to stay away from production chains.

Who was it, that thought spending time and energy on developing deere running around on the map was way more important than pallet physics?!

The description of the second DLC is “This will drive you crazy!”
My guess is they came up with something that forces you to deal with even more pallets…
Ignorance is bliss
Beastbubba

Post by Beastbubba »

iwan073 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:57 pm The description of the second DLC is “This will drive you crazy!”
My guess is they came up with something that forces you to deal with even more pallets…
Lmao!

I hope not... But yea the horrible looking deer and productions are much more important than fixing nearly decade old physics 🙄
PC gamer.
ipodule

Post by ipodule »

Pallet solutions that need to be implemented should be easy. Putting one pallet on top of another pallet will result in the pallets being locked together. As soon as you place the pallet on the other pallet and remove the fork it will "snap" into place so it is perfectly inline with the pallet underneath and it will not move unless you hit it at 40KM/h with a tractor. If you have a stack of 5 pallets, with the bottom pallet being pallet number 1, then grabbing pallet 3,4,5 in a stack using the forklift will result in said "snapping" gracefully and smoothly deactivating between pallet 2 and pallet 3 but remaining for pallets 1 and 2 on the ground and 3,4,5 on the fork. Still with me? Good! When loading pallets onto trailers, which are also fixed in place, if you really want to make it look neat and tidy but your loading is a little off there should be "tidy" button on the trailer that lines everything up nicely. It should also be possible to activate the straps on the trailer from within the loader, like in Snowrunner when you can start and stop the vehicle engine you are towing.

There are probably a hundred other small quality of life changes that could be made to this to make it more natural, easy and fun. But it won't be done though because the people who make this game simply do not have the good grace to even wander into this forum and speak with their players, never mind implement changes to their game that would actually make it more fun to play.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

This is a simulator, that isn't how it works in real life. If you want a mod that makes things easier, fair enough. If you want a mod to do it all for you, then it leaves me wondering what you're getting out of the game? Everything except pallets?
ipodule

Post by ipodule »

paul_c wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:12 pm This is a simulator, that isn't how it works in real life. If you want a mod that makes things easier, fair enough. If you want a mod to do it all for you, then it leaves me wondering what you're getting out of the game? Everything except pallets?
Are you for real right now... I'm genuinely asking, ARE YOU FOR REAL? This is not a simulator of anything. It's a video game and let me tell you this, if you put a 400KG object on top of another object it will sit still, it will push the object on the bottom into the ground. It will not slide left or right because the game code is more simplistic than 10 Print "Hello", 20 goto 10. Don't sit there behind your screen trying to gaslight people that this game is in any way "realistic". You also understand the the graphics are not 3D, there is no depth perception because it's on a flat screen so users need assists when lining things up because we can't "look around". I'm a truck driver and a licensed heavy wheel loader operator so please don't be coming here talking about "realism", I'm talking about having fun and loading (in the real world) is fun especially when you can do it quickly loading interlock pallets onto a truck at 2 tonnes per load. Being irritated is not fun, so they (Giants) should knock it off.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

humbe wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:25 pm
Was just referring to the "because they didn’t change much of anything" part.. But yeah. Easy to move onto that when one don't notice changes, so no worries..

Would be interesting to look at those threads.. I'll see if I can dig up any.. I'm a developer myself, and it sounds like a hard but interesting problem. I wouldn't really know where to start on it ;) What parts of physics to simulate, where to make simplifications, how to make it cheap enough to be able to run real-time. Not sure if they have their own implementation of it either, or if it possibly might be some 3rd party library they are using for it, limiting their insights and ability to change it.
viewtopic.php?f=963&t=180309&hilit=Constructive&start=0
There were several but that was the best thread, it was a pretty good one full of pretty good stuff. A lot of the suggestions I like were more with auto load and locking forks and buildings. I always liked the idea of an autoload lite type of building where you place the bale pretty close to the location it goes it would snap into place. This would keep the stacks neat, cut down on lag, keep some of the realism, and plus help out console players with the bale count
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

paul_c wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:12 pm This is a simulator, that isn't how it works in real life. If you want a mod that makes things easier, fair enough. If you want a mod to do it all for you, then it leaves me wondering what you're getting out of the game? Everything except pallets?
It’s hard though because in my experience it’s quite a bit easier to stack bales/logs/pallets in real life than it is in game so you do have to find a good balance
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

ipodule wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:29 pm
Are you for real right now... I'm genuinely asking, ARE YOU FOR REAL? This is not a simulator of anything. It's a video game and let me tell you this, if you put a 400KG object on top of another object it will sit still, it will push the object on the bottom into the ground. It will not slide left or right because the game code is more simplistic than 10 Print "Hello", 20 goto 10. Don't sit there behind your screen trying to gaslight people that this game is in any way "realistic". You also understand the the graphics are not 3D, there is no depth perception because it's on a flat screen so users need assists when lining things up because we can't "look around". I'm a truck driver and a licensed heavy wheel loader operator so please don't be coming here talking about "realism", I'm talking about having fun and loading (in the real world) is fun especially when you can do it quickly loading interlock pallets onto a truck at 2 tonnes per load. Being irritated is not fun, so they (Giants) should knock it off.
LOL

I don't seem to suffer the frustrations you (and others) do with loading pallets, and I'm pretty sure I'm playing the same game. Its obviously a part of the game, and its obvious that if it were simplified to the extent you are asking for, it would take some element of that gameplay away.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Well.. The game is an open world where it's up to you what you want to do in it.. Not everyone wants to do the same thing.. Personally I like to start small, get a challenge in earning money and expand, but then I mostly quit the game as soon as I get to medium size because it's too tedious to continue. As you grow you may want to play more like a farm manager, deciding what shall be done, but not be the one doing all the work anymore, and then ways of automating parts of the game you want to focus less on are great.
Beastbubba

Post by Beastbubba »

paul_c wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:50 pm
ipodule wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:29 pm
LOL

I don't seem to suffer the frustrations you (and others) do with loading pallets, and I'm pretty sure I'm playing the same game. Its obviously a part of the game, and its obvious that if it were simplified to the extent you are asking for, it would take some element of that gameplay away.
Nicely stacked bales starting to vibrate and eventually explode. Pallets getting welded onto fork tines to the point of having to knock them off. Pallets and bales sliding when stacked. Pallets getting stuck in ground enough a wheel loader cain't pick it up.

Telling me you have never had any of those issues? I've run into all of them, lots...

Also irl the store, shippers, and receivers will all load your trailer for you. Autoload at those locations isen't even unrealistic.

Saying all that, I actually enjoy loading and stacking bales. But after spending the time to do it properly and looking good just to have the physics freakout later and completely undo my work is extremely annoying and frustrating.
PC gamer.
ruairiau

Post by ruairiau »

We're all here giving suggestions on how this could be better. It's not about realism or simplification. It's about finding ways that reduce how tedious, frustrating and broken the current method is.

I really like the crate snapping idea someone suggested. That doesn't sound too hard to implement and reduces the changes required.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

Beastbubba wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:51 pm Nicely stacked bales starting to vibrate and eventually explode. Pallets getting welded onto fork tines to the point of having to knock them off. Pallets and bales sliding when stacked. Pallets getting stuck in ground enough a wheel loader cain't pick it up.

Telling me you have never had any of those issues? I've run into all of them, lots...

Also irl the store, shippers, and receivers will all load your trailer for you. Autoload at those locations isen't even unrealistic.

Saying all that, I actually enjoy loading and stacking bales. But after spending the time to do it properly and looking good just to have the physics freakout later and completely undo my work is extremely annoying and frustrating.
Yeah I've seen those issues - occasionally - but (at the risk of repeating myself) its not that I'm not seeing the issues, its that I'm not becoming frustrated by them and demanding Giants do something, or immature negative comments aimed at them etc.

Also I've tended to notice a trend on when they occur - rough ground, when you're on a slope (things slide on a slope), when the pallet is slammed into the ground, etc. Sure, they occur in other more benign times too but I've been able to adapt to an extent and just get on with enjoying it.

I totally get the "mid game --> farm managing" aspect, and that in FS22 you have to do it all yourself (except with limited/stupid AI), there's scope there. And I get that in the real world, some things would be done for you (like loading pallets at a factory) but (at least single-player) you're on your own.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

Pallet loading shouldn't certainly be done if playing on x5 or x10 speed. For the amount of farming that you can get done, relative to the time it takes to move pallets, it doesn't seem balanced. There is an upcoming mod, which looks awesome - the Potatoe Factory - converting potatoes into premium potatoes, seed potatoes, and 'poor' potatoes. While very realistic, it puts all sorted potatoes in pallets. I won't be using that mod however, as moving the pallets will take me much longer than to harvest the field itself.
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

ruairiau wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:55 pm
We're all here giving suggestions on how this could be better. It's not about realism or simplification. It's about finding ways that reduce how tedious, frustrating and broken the current method is.

I really like the crate snapping idea someone suggested. That doesn't sound too hard to implement and reduces the changes required.
Yeah, they already have something similar for headers with the header trailers, how it snaps into place if you put it on close enough.
Call it Just-In-Time Stacking.
The key being, make the locked items one object from a game/physics standpoint, reducing lag/processor load.
That is one thing they greatly improved from 19, the strapping down on trailers works way better.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Same as all of you. I've been playing these games since FS2011 and I swear the pallet "physics" are worse than they've ever been. Or perhaps I'm just having to deal with more pallets than ever before.

Be patient, friends. There will be mods to "fix" this eventually. All I need is the CSZ pack and my pallet issues will be solved. Shame Giants can't fix it but it is what it is.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!