Protein for pigs

Obi-Tonobi

Protein for pigs

Post by Obi-Tonobi »

Ok I need help. What do I feed the pigs in FS22 to count as protein? I fed them some of everything and still the counter is at 0. I'm missing something. Thanks
deerefarm

Re: Protein for pigs

Post by deerefarm »

Ok, the easiest and cheapest way to feed pigs is buy buying "pig food" from the store, it fills all their needs and you won't go broke doing it. Pigs are the only animal that this applies to, for all other animals it's cheaper to harvest and feed them. A big bag of pig food costs $900 for 1000L, whereas you can sell your Barley or Wheat for $900-1200 per 1000l so you come out ahead. The way you don't have to worry about soybeans, sunflowers, or potatoes...

Hope this answers your questions.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
Obi-Tonobi

Post by Obi-Tonobi »

Well on this particular farm I am only growing food to feed the pigs. Not growing or selling crops for profit. Did not want to use pig food. Wanted to harvest everything I need to feed them. Just can't figure out what crop counts as protein.
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

Canola and soybeans iirc, but like deerefarm said, it really doesn't make financial sense to waste your grains on pigs.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

You guys aren't looking at that expense correctly. You need to look at seed price vs pig food price. The seed price to plant the crop needed to keep your pigs feed until you sell vs the price of pig food to feed the same amount until you sell your pigs. Then the rest of your crop that you didn't feed you can sell for profit along with taken pigs for processing.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

Why just seed price???

Surely, in any cost analysis, you'd use total establishment & harvesting costs, plus some proportion of machinery/fuel/repair costs, plus some proportion of the capital cost of buying the land in the first place? That way you obtain the true figure for the cost to grow the crop, from which you can base any added value (or otherwise) from keeping pigs. Don't forget that the slurry has a value too, because you can use it instead of (paying for) other fert.
Illinois Farmer

Paul, that's because they were just comparing selling the crop vs buying pig food. There is no need to look at that other stuff because either way you are harvesting the crop and raising pigs.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

Then it becomes a very much simpler calculation, you don't need to necessarily know the seed price. Its simply, "do I sell this grain/whatever I have for X, and buy pig food at Y".

If X<Y, it doesn't make sense to sell it - just use it to feed pigs instead.

BUT really there's actually 3 things you could consider:
1) Growing a crop, feeding it to pigs
2) Growing a crop and selling it (no pigs kept at all)
3) Buying pig food and keeping pigs (no growing of crops at all)

Because there's land and other capital costs to consider too - if you don't grow crops at all, you don't need the land to do that, or tractors, etc. And of course, you could factor in the time too.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

You all are forgetting the economy settings. While on easy economy it certainly is more profitable to buy pig food, however at medium you will roughly break even, maybe lose a little, and at hard economy, it is a sure way to bankrupt the farm.
Illinois Farmer

Paul, read above. The op already has pigs and just wants to know the protein to give them. I don't play fs22, so I can't answer why his number are at 0 still. Irl corn and soybean with mineral is the best for pigs. In 19, i would fill every bar completely full or use the grainer mod and create my own pig food.
The op already has land so you don't need to know that either. The only thing to compare is seed vs pig food. Now a couple variables play into that when looking at a profit: 1. (selling pigs) - seed cost vs. (Selling all the grain) - buying the pig food
2. (Selling pigs + access grain) - seed cost vs. (Buying pig food)
The other stuff is all constant, so it doesn't matter and would affect the experiment.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

To answer the first questions proteins are soy, sunflower, and canola.

As far as the rest goes, I jumped to a conclusion and assumed the OP was new to the game as he didn't know what proteins were. Thus I posted a link to a "beginners" video on easy mode where it's certainly cheaper to buy "pig food" and use your grown crops as sellable products.

I have done detailed cost analysis videos before, but the just don't get watched. Even with this video I looked at the analytics for it, and as soon as people figure out stuff like how to buy, what to feed, ect. they stop watching. The don't even watch the end where I go over various selling scenarios and which ones make the most money. They just want quick and easy answers.

Personally, like Paul and a few others I'm all about the stats and figuring out the "real" costs of things. eg. How much land does a barn take up, how much does it and the animals cost, what are the sales, and how long does it take to pay for itself.
Obi-Tonobi

Post by Obi-Tonobi »

Ok guys, 1st thanks for all the help. Not new to Farm Sim just 22. I think the reason my proteins are at 0 is because I filled the pig barn with other types first. Top bar is full so it never really took the proteins. Ill see what happens when they eat some of the food. I have played so much on 17 and 19 that I only bought 22 to help out a friend and he hasn't really even played it since I bought 22. So I thought I would just set up a pig farm on No Man's Land. Not trying to make profit just growing crops only for the pig food so there is something else to do besides watching the pigs. Will see how many pigs I can keep up with and then sell them once its a pain in the butt to keep up with. I only have one large barn so far and I bought 18 pigs to start off with. I'll buy more barns as they fill up. I didn't really mess with animals in 17 and 19 so its something new for me to do. Thanks again for all the replies. I did read them all
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

Obi-Tonobi wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:59 am Ok guys, 1st thanks for all the help. Not new to Farm Sim just 22. I think the reason my proteins are at 0 is because I filled the pig barn with other types first. Top bar is full so it never really took the proteins. Ill see what happens when they eat some of the food. I have played so much on 17 and 19 that I only bought 22 to help out a friend and he hasn't really even played it since I bought 22. So I thought I would just set up a pig farm on No Man's Land. Not trying to make profit just growing crops only for the pig food so there is something else to do besides watching the pigs. Will see how many pigs I can keep up with and then sell them once its a pain in the butt to keep up with. I only have one large barn so far and I bought 18 pigs to start off with. I'll buy more barns as they fill up. I didn't really mess with animals in 17 and 19 so its something new for me to do. Thanks again for all the replies. I did read them all
You're welcome and yes FS22 and Giant's as usual have done a horrible job of explaining the changes they made. Unlike FS19 where a barn could hold up to 10 days of each type of food, FS22 now has a maximum capacity for that barn for all types of food. You're left to figure out on your own what the proper ratio is. I did the same thing first time around and filled it with corn and couldn't add proteins or root crops... So I decided to re-load a previous save and add "pig food" as it would give the proper ratio. That was how I discovered buying food was actually more profitable than growing and harvesting each crop.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

deerefarm wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:55 am That was how I discovered buying food was actually more profitable than growing and harvesting each crop.
True on easy economy, not necessarily the case on medium, and definitely not on hard.
Obi-Tonobi

Post by Obi-Tonobi »

Before I create another thread I just hooked up my PS5. Can I transfer my PS4 game save to the PS5 version? I cant find a way. This pig farm is on the PS4 version and will just have to play it on the PS4 version if I can't transfer. Not making all these fields again.