Should Giants not allow tedding in the rain, slow down mowing/merging, etc?

dan1109

Should Giants not allow tedding in the rain, slow down mowing/merging, etc?

Post by dan1109 »

While I feel that most of the Seasons19 features that Giants didn't incorporate into FS22 are small and cake icing, one thing that I feel they really missed the mark with is grasswork. They nicely added a harvest penalty if you harvest in the rain or snow (an improvement over 19 which would simply not allow it), but grasswork is still completely ignored by weather in 22. I know many people do wish for optional grass drying to be implemented, but that does offer an additional layer of complexity that perhaps they did not want to yet address. But how about not being able to ted during the rain at all? That sounds sensible...its DRIED grass after all. And perhaps yield penalties for mowing in the rain, and working speed penalties for merging in the rain?

Thoughts?
paul_c

Re: Should Giants not allow tedding in the rain, slow down mowing/merging, etc?

Post by paul_c »

Definitely agree, however there is a subset of players who just want to take a hay-making contract and bang it out in 15 minutes and they'll moan if weather affected their playing.
lawm

Post by lawm »

Theres things I like about seasons 19, and things I like with 22. I'd say yes to this and also not having to ted, if you mow during dry windy time. But I'm seeing this coming as a mod from realismus or Giants and at that point it will have too much realism for my personal style. In the end Giants did a good job with seasons for players like myself so hopefully you hardcore folk get an addon
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

Hi again Dan. Another good question. I just finished answering another post on a different forum about a similar topic which was "what should while I'm waiting for the rain to stop bc of the yield bonus.?"
Some of the answers were, haul grains to market, mow hay/grass, tedd, make silage, feed you animals and so on. So I answered "hogwash" to most of the suggestions. You don't mow hay while it's raining cus that's a surefire way to gum up to mower, same as people don't mow their lawns when it's raining. Unless you've got a covered loading bay you don't take grains to market because as you're filling your semi, the rain is raising your crops moisture content, which you probably spent a while lowering.
Essentially IRL a rainy day was/is a day for a farmer to catch up on things like tractor / equipment maintenance, cleaning up the barn, mucking out animal pens or stalls, bookkeeping, and so on. Well boy did I get jumped all over by armchair farmers, "well there's no penalty so it must be real...." As you said there's a lot of people that just don't want that level or realism in the game. As we've discussed before Giants have made certain compromises to keep people from getting bored. Which I totally understand. On my own in game farm I play as realistically as possible and just wait for the rain to pass.

I kind of understand why Giants let you harvest during rain with a penalty, but really it should be like 19 where it just wouldn't let you. On a combine everything would get gummed up from feeder houses to seperators, and you'd spend more time trying to clean it out than you would harvesting, let alone loosing more than 50% of you crop out the back.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

Well, obviously such an improvement should have optional settings to enabled/disabled. Besides there to satisfy customers who want it and don't, it's the ultimate failsafe, as if its borked and bugged, turning it off brings you back to previous functionality without a patch. Anyways, the suggestions I brought up were intended to 'increase' realism, at a very small cost. They already have half speed functionality in double manure/slurry spreading, already have half harvest yield with crops and rain, and previously disallowed harvesting in the rain in 19. So, this would be VERY easy for them to implement, and could be an easy steppingstone towards a something much more realistic. Perhaps my simplistic suggestion could even be modded.
StarStreak2109

Post by StarStreak2109 »

dan1109 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:30 am While I feel that most of the Seasons19 features that Giants didn't incorporate into FS22 are small and cake icing, one thing that I feel they really missed the mark with is grasswork. They nicely added a harvest penalty if you harvest in the rain or snow (an improvement over 19 which would simply not allow it), but grasswork is still completely ignored by weather in 22. I know many people do wish for optional grass drying to be implemented, but that does offer an additional layer of complexity that perhaps they did not want to yet address. But how about not being able to ted during the rain at all? That sounds sensible...its DRIED grass after all. And perhaps yield penalties for mowing in the rain, and working speed penalties for merging in the rain?

Thoughts?
I would love the (optional) increase in difficulty regarding rain and grass work. I mean they have fermentation time for silage, so why not add a drying time for grass, which is influenced by the weather (sunny = 1 day, rain adds an extra day for example). It always bugged me a bit, that you bang out haybales in a fraction of a day.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Having too much optional behavior might be an issue but maybe they coulda had a simple vs realistic slider to control such behavior so people could pick their wanted level.
Vfarms

Post by Vfarms »

OK here's my two cents..

Games like this require a bit of roleplay ( No not that kind get your mind out of the gutter)

While it would be nice if Giants included 25 restrictions for every single scenario, they simply can't hold our hand all the time. If you don't want to work the grass in the rain, then don't. You really don't need anything other than a self imposed restriction, unless text on the screen saying NO! means that much to you.
This is the most fun you're ever gonna have

Xbox series x
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

Vfarms wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:22 pm While it would be nice if Giants included 25 restrictions for every single scenario, they simply can't hold our hand all the time. If you don't want to work the grass in the rain, then don't. You really don't need anything other than a self imposed restriction, unless text on the screen saying NO! means that much to you.
It would be a single option for a set of major crop - grass, silage, hay, and straw - they improved realism with harvesting by allowing it to be done in the rain/snow with massive penalties. Why not these crops? The game is purposely getting more and more complex on purpose, however having default options for such features disabled is certainly the way to go to not discourage new or novice users, or ones that don't care about added realism.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

StarStreak2109 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:02 am
dan1109 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:30 am While I feel that most of the Seasons19 features that Giants didn't incorporate into FS22 are small and cake icing, one thing that I feel they really missed the mark with is grasswork. They nicely added a harvest penalty if you harvest in the rain or snow (an improvement over 19 which would simply not allow it), but grasswork is still completely ignored by weather in 22. I know many people do wish for optional grass drying to be implemented, but that does offer an additional layer of complexity that perhaps they did not want to yet address. But how about not being able to ted during the rain at all? That sounds sensible...its DRIED grass after all. And perhaps yield penalties for mowing in the rain, and working speed penalties for merging in the rain?

Thoughts?
I would love the (optional) increase in difficulty regarding rain and grass work. I mean they have fermentation time for silage, so why not add a drying time for grass, which is influenced by the weather (sunny = 1 day, rain adds an extra day for example). It always bugged me a bit, that you bang out haybales in a fraction of a day.
Such realism in the drying process would be extremely difficult to implement in order to satisfy people that play 1 day months. For now, I prefer the demarcations of growth being done on a per month basis, including silage (however you can look at each bale to see its % to completion, as you don't wrap everything at midnight). Yes, I do eventually want grass drying in stock FS to optionally behave like Seasons19 (and beyond that, growth to eventually incorporate sunlight, rainfall, temperature, etc), but small easy steps are the best ones taken. And this is pretty easy, and even easily moddable if mods can access the required parts of the game.
Vfarms

Post by Vfarms »

dan1109 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:27 pm
Yeah I feel you
This is the most fun you're ever gonna have

Xbox series x