What map is everyone playing and why?

Luftkopf

Re: What map is everyone playing and why?

Post by Luftkopf »

I switch between Rhön and French Plains.

Rhön is nice, with a bit of space, fields that aren't too small, and has a bit of character, but it could do with a bit more attention paid to the details, particularly in the way the ground falls around buildings. I'm getting a nice farm going, but haven't really got into a groove yet.

The French Plains is bigger, with plenty of space to build whatever you want. And when you combine a few fields here and there, you get fields large enough to justify big equipment. I've gotten into more of a groove here, but it's not really home yet.

What I'm waiting for are maps that give me the vibes I got from MVP 19, Geiselsberg, Gemeinde Rade, and Ravensberg.
BostonJohnny1226

Post by BostonJohnny1226 »

I've been on Pacific Northwest now for about a month. I've always liked 4X maps.
Just spent the last week adding AutoDrive into the mix with CoursePlay and my layout is coming along nicely.
viperl

Post by viperl »

Currently, I'm settling with Goliszew, a polish style map. It is a standard size map. Although it utilizes lots of the native models offered by default maps, it feels very detailed. It has plenty of production points and selling points, and they are placed carefully to make the map feel not that "small". Also, it has AI traffic which I think is a must in a map.
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

Still on Elm Creek, trying out all of the new aspects the game has to offer. Waiting to get my hands on Eiersholt as soon as it is available for FS22, freakin' love that map! Also thinking about finding a nice US/Canadian 4X map, there is just "that feeling" on those.
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
Moot

Post by Moot »

I’m playing No Man’s Land. I’ll probably start a farm on Pioneers soon. I had fun with that one on FS19. I like to create everything from scratch.

Nice thread. Everyone’s input is interesting.

What is 4x regarding maps? Is it a larger land area?

Edit: I’d like to try a small map with mostly square fields. Any suggestions?
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Moot wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:29 pm I’m playing No Man’s Land. I’ll probably start a farm on Pioneers soon. I had fun with that one on FS19. I like to create everything from scratch.

Nice thread. Everyone’s input is interesting.

What is 4x regarding maps? Is it a larger land area?

Edit: I’d like to try a small map with mostly square fields. Any suggestions?
A 4x is bigger, basically 4 vanilla maps in a square
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Mwal wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:54 pm
Deadeye wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:33 pm Red River Valley is a good map, considering it is the author's first map
DJ modding has been around for a while, and Red River Valley was their last map for 19 but not the first. They have several other maps that came out previously. Here’s a link to their Facebook page if you want to check them out you should give UMRV a try, there’s a link on the page to their mod network page with all their releases.
https://m.facebook.com/107815864201245/
Pardon me for such a foolish statement. Now that you mention it, I knew Red River Valley wasn't their first map. I actually played on Deere Country briefly, in fact. I think I tried UMRV too, but had some pretty serious lag/fps issues, and so I didn't stick with it. Their maps are very detailed, and I love that aspect of them. I also love the more realistic grain bins.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
JKeller Farming

Post by JKeller Farming »

Elm Creek, I got a nice farm on a flat piece of land in the middle of the map. I like the American style maps and prefer maps with town setups. Had permanently settled in Griffin, Indiana on FS19.
Just a desktop farmer living the life in Griffin, IN
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Deadeye wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:51 pm
Pardon me for such a foolish statement. Now that you mention it, I knew Red River Valley wasn't their first map. I actually played on Deere Country briefly, in fact. I think I tried UMRV too, but had some pretty serious lag/fps issues, and so I didn't stick with it. Their maps are very detailed, and I love that aspect of them. I also love the more realistic grain bins.
You’re good, I just didn’t want you to miss out on a bunch of maps that are similar style
JaVaDy

Post by JaVaDy »

I find it still hard to find a map that has "it". Played Elm Creek to get a grip on the new functionality. I like the British maps, but they are to small for my taste. The are beautiful though.

This week I started Wild West (16x) and I'm building three farms on the giant field in the south of the map. I play on PC, so I can "cheat" as much money as I need to build a nice farming enviroment. When nothing "bad" happens I could play this map for quite some time.
Former Xbox One S player, now on PC :-D
Ifibe

Post by Ifibe »

As seeing some new players asking What does XXXX mean thought I would put together a quick list of terms to help

Sizes
Standard -- ie. Elm Creek, Haut-Beyleron
4X -- 4x the size so maps like Frankenmurth, a lot of the times used for multi-player but sometime single player.
16X -- 16X the size of normal maps, a few out there last post mention Wild West but I have never played one. Almost exclusively multiplayer as these maps are really that large.
There are other sizes but follow same kind of rules

Nationalities -- please don't hate me for the generalizations just trying to help people understand the general feel of the maps when people say these
British -- Think tight fields with walls or hedges. Some are small fields (Maypole Farms comes to mind although it is based on an Irish location) but some can be big fields like Calmsden Farms but still has tight roads and fields that are closed in with walls and hedges.
German -- A little more open area than British, usually more hilly but not always. Usually more room around borders of fields. Field size depends on the map can be small or large. Rhon and Mecklenburg are examples
Polish or Czeck -- These are usually very distinct looking with fields in long strips. Can be hundreds of fields on a standard map as fields usually do not contain much area even though very long. examples are Zdzeichów and Goliszew.
American -- Being American I see this one as the most controversial. Most would say open, large square fields that you can run the largest equipment on and there are a number of maps that support this (FrankenMurth, Green Valley, Huron County) but I would call those MidWest maps. There are also a number of maps that do have smaller fields that are not square (Graystone Farms, South Lousanna). For the most part I think of American maps though as not as tight on the borders and usually have more building space without having to tear down something already built on the map.

Now after saying that all maps do not fit their characterizations and some of these are the best maps. The one that comes to mind to me is Old Stream Farm that is German by description but incorporates some of the best features (in my opinion) of all types of maps for a single player.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

That's about the best way you can put American farming lol. It's crazy how different it gets from one side of the country to the other. Don't forget Canadian and South American farming too
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
TobiHH

Post by TobiHH »

Ifibe wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:50 pm As seeing some new players asking What does XXXX mean thought I would put together a quick list of terms to help

Sizes
Standard -- ie. Elm Creek, Haut-Beyleron
4X -- 4x the size so maps like Frankenmurth, a lot of the times used for multi-player but sometime single player.
16X -- 16X the size of normal maps, a few out there last post mention Wild West but I have never played one. Almost exclusively multiplayer as these maps are really that large.
There are other sizes but follow same kind of rules
Frankenmuth is not 4x, It`s a standard sized map
Frag

Post by Frag »

I am surprised that no one mentioned "Umbreon Valley". Ok that map is mostly for logging, but it is SO gorgeous.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Frag wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:48 pm I am surprised that no one mentioned "Umbreon Valley". Ok that map is mostly for logging, but it is SO gorgeous.
There’s always been a lot of beautiful logging maps for FS, I think the problem is a good portion of the player base sees logging map in the description and moves on.