Alien Jim is a legend

Orange Tiger NL

Re: Alien Jim is a legend

Post by Orange Tiger NL »

Nevermind, i got to the 20th nugget. So i got them all now!
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

Orange Tiger NL wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:40 pm Nevermind, i got to the 20th nugget. So i got them all now!
I found a video for anybody that is interested!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPcDPwbrsQY
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

Has this been released for xBox, yet, or still being tested? I am dying here. I love these kinds of maps. Sobbing old lady farmer needs a new map! 😢
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Yes it was in the modhub yesterday
SimulatedFarmer

Odd. It’s not in my mod hub. I’m in the U.S. I wonder if the rollout was different. I’ve never seen that before, though. I’ll wait until Tuesday and see if it corrects.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Try exiting out of the game or resetting your xbox
Orange Tiger NL

Post by Orange Tiger NL »

SimulatedFarmer wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:29 pm Has this been released for xBox, yet, or still being tested? I am dying here. I love these kinds of maps. Sobbing old lady farmer needs a new map! 😢
Try click the left stick, as modhub is not working properly
SimulatedFarmer

Thank you so much. My dad was born in 1904 on a little dirt (poor) farm in Montana. I try to build places that might look like that.
Decriptus

Post by Decriptus »

Can someone explain how this is a great. Not decent, map? Don't get me wrong...Jim is an amazing modder, but after being on the map it seems like a flat no man's land with a few cool features. The map itself seems bland
1upwonders

Post by 1upwonders »

ScotsDude73 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:01 pm
Orange Tiger NL wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:40 pm Nevermind, i got to the 20th nugget. So i got them all now!
I found a video for anybody that is interested!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPcDPwbrsQY
Hey there! Thanks for sharing my video in this forum, much appreciated :)
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

If you dont like the map you dont have to play it. I dont like No Man's Land because it does not suit my play style, but I have total respect to Alien Jim for creating this type of map for those that want to be more creative and be unique in creating their own unique farm. Calm Lands is the same. So is the construction map. Giants have given us the tools to landscape and paint. If you dont like the landscape change it. If you dont like the map dont play on it. Not every map suits every player. And saying the map is bland is kind of disrespectful after the amount of hours Alien Jim has spent of his own spare time creating it. I would like to see you mod your own map and you will learn how hard it is and how many hours it takes to create a mod. We get mods for free and yet certain people still complain!! No surprise at all there because this is the world we live in!! Modders spoil us with what they create and modders get nothing in return except the appreciation some show them for their hard work which is a hobby not a job to these people.
Moot

Post by Moot »

Right on, ScotsDude! I clearly don’t have the skills to mod and I really like the mods, so I appreciate anything they create.

I enjoy pretty much everything FS22 has to offer. Small farms, huge farms, make-it-yourself farms … loads of equipment to choose from too. I can change up my style from one farm to the next. I can use the government subsidy to get a little boost, big boost, or just start from scratch.

I advise people to do whatever you want and try a bit of everything. Find what satisfies you.

I spent hundreds of hours on No Man’s Land and had a great time. Now I’m starting on Alien Jim’s latest map and plan to maximize animals and production with enough fieldwork to support everything.

Got a new audiobook and I’m ready to go!
Moot

Post by Moot »

Thank you for the advice, Orange Tiger NL! I just now got to that part of the map and didn’t know what to do. I was going to leave it as it was, but now it’ll be my production center. 🤗
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

I think there are two schools of thought on what a FS map should be:

A) Pre-built farm that represents some type of current farm with the player having varying abilities to remove the structures that the map maker built in. Calmsden Farm is a good example of this where the map is very realistic with lots of stuff built into the map. The player is sort of playing a scenario. The down fall of these maps is that the player has to work within certain boundaries which may or may not make sense to the player (hedge rows, fences, other items that can't be removed).

B) Sandbox maps where the player is encouraged to do whatever they want with map and the only things that can't be removed are the sell points and "town". No Man's Land is the first real version of this map in FS19 and has been carried forward to FS22. The player is forging their own path form a semi-blank slate. These maps encounter problems in that the player has a long setup time and the lack of contracts means that there is no way to have alternate income sources other than the players farm.

Most maps land on scale between Point A and B above and players tend to gravitate towards one end or the other, with varying tolerance of how much of A and B they want.

As far as Western Wilds as a sandbox map (type B)

Pros:
- Lots of flexibility in how things are setup
- Gives the player a good starting area(s)
- Signs guide the player and help remove obstacles that some players may not want.
- Has AI pathing so Helper can drive around. This is lacking a good portion of FS22 maps on modhub that I have tried. If nothing else, this a huge positive.
- Has more personality than No Man's Land with more sell points and a surround that gives some more activity
- Just about everything is completely removable

Cons:
- It's completely flat, but the use of trees and the surround don't make it feel as flat as some other maps. It very much feels like a wide valley between some low mountains.
- Player is a little bit more confined than in No Man's Land, but I would argue that the hills in No Man's Land restrict the player about as much.

Overall, major props to Alien Jim for rolling out this map.

WTB 4x version that's a little more hilly.
Decriptus

Post by Decriptus »

Y'all missed my point...I admire Jim's talent. He puts out revolutionary stuff for the game. I was simple asking what made this particular map special besides the features of the map. I'm asking about the map itself. The features are awesome the map isn't. If these features were on mercury or Sussex.....just wow, I'd never stop playing