What's your least favorite crop to plant/harvest?

deerefarm

What's your least favorite crop to plant/harvest?

Post by deerefarm »

I think the title says it all. What's your least favorite crop to either plant or harvest. For me I'd have to say it's a toss up. I hate harvesting Olives, Grapes and Sugarcane. I actually don't mind planting any of those three, but they are all definitely a pain to harvest.
Sugarcane is fine for everything but harvesting, but both the harvesting options are slow and laborious. There are bigger harvesters on the market and I wish Giants or a modder would make one. But regardless you can at least follow besides the harvester and fill you trailer. Once harvested as I said then everything is ok. You can lime, fertilize and so on like you would a normal crop.
What I'm really starting to hate is Grapes and Olives. Cool idea, but a huge pain in the *ss. Planting them in rows is a pain but better now with the snap to row ability. But then comes the pain, everything has to be done row by row more or less. From subsoiling, to fertilizing, to harvesting, and in the case of grapes pruning. While sugarcane is a pain it at least has a really high yield, but grapes and olives don't. Plus they're massively expensive to startup.
I don't know about you but I'm about ready to rip out my orchards and vineyards and use the buy inputs mods to feed my productions.
The return on my real life time investment (plus the in game high investment) just doesn't seem worth it.
I know from experience that one of the keys/aims of game development is to introduce features that will make players keep coming back for more, and investing their time so the game stays relevant and players want more. But Grapes and Olives seem to take that idea one step too far.
Am I alone in this or do you love grapes and olives???
I'm going to add one more question, were there other crops you would have rather seen implemented that grapes and olives???
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
raran

Re: What's your least favorite crop to plant/harvest?

Post by raran »

Planting, poplar is by far my least favourite, hooray for CP. And harvesting is one of my favourite things to do in the game so not really a problem with anything related to that. And again, if i should get fed up with it i can always stick it on Courseplay.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Harvesting potatoes and sugar beets, but with a catch. They’re my favorite crops with modded equipment that’s familiar to me but with the base game equipment and the lack of variety it brings makes it painful. The tiny beet harvesters and lack of windrowers, variety in potato diggers, and planters is quite off putting
Steel_Horse

Post by Steel_Horse »

deerefarm wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:41 am .....
I don't know about you but I'm about ready to rip out my orchards and vineyards and use the buy inputs mods to feed my productions.
The return on my real life time investment (plus the in game high investment) just doesn't seem worth it.
I know from experience that one of the keys/aims of game development is to introduce features that will make players keep coming back for more, and investing their time so the game stays relevant and players want more. But Grapes and Olives seem to take that idea one step too far.
Am I alone in this or do you love grapes and olives???
I'm going to add one more question, were there other crops you would have rather seen implemented that grapes and olives???
Grapes got a whole lot better to me when I discovered the Valtra G with the large engine (135 I think) would mount the Seppi mulcher on the front and the Sicma harrow on the back. One direction and the row is done, uphill or down. I also found it helps to smooth the terrain before placing the vines. Also the VICon spreader fits enabling 6 rows fertilised or limed in a single pass. I found once I reduced the number of trips between the vines I got way less frustrated. Also the bigger diameter wheels on the Valtra seem to wheelspin much less and get hooked much less.
The little tractors look kinda cute but dont work all that well. I use the Landini just for pruning.
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

Technically you dont plant olives or grapes as you place them down in construction mode. Ever since 17 I absolutely detest sugar cane. To me its the worst crop in the game. Not a fan of poplars either.
GrimGandalf

Post by GrimGandalf »

I hated Sugar cane until very recently when the forage harvester header came out as a mod for it. Now I think it’s a lot of fun. Sugar beets has always been my favorite crop and now I can fill the production up with Sugar cane.
PS4, XBOX X & PC Video Game Farmer
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

I hate root crops. I don't know why, but I gag when I see brown or pink on the crop screen.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
Ekan

Post by Ekan »

Cotton, grapes, olives and sugarcane. Actally I never plant these, and if Cotton appear on the map I hit F12.
FS since 2012 :hi:
"Immersive farmplay & detail fanatic"

PC: :gamer:
Acer "28" NItro XVO (4k)
Geforce RTX 3070
i7-8700k 5ghz (OC) (3.70ghz)
HyperX fury 32gb RAM
M.2 970 evoPlus (500gb)
M.2 MP500 (150gb)
ROG strix Z370-F
EVGA 750w psu, Corsair cooling & chassi
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

Root crops, Sugar Cane, and probably Poplar since they take too long to harvest the entire field. Not too much of a fan of Cotton though.
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Alma, Missouri: 50 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

Cotton and cane.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

Interesting answers so far, and I'd forgotten about poplar, as I never grow it, but it jumps to the top of the list.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
Wyldesystem

Post by Wyldesystem »

I just take augarcane harvester and dolly and unealistic trailer let the harvester drag it around...but def grapes and oloves are a pain in the watch lol
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

Since courseplay works on grapes and olives, I have no problems with them.

I haven’t farmed cotton yet in 22, but I probably will get around to it eventually. The one crop I won’t do is sugarcane. It’s so painful! The small working widths and high yields make everything take forever, and I don’t enjoy using fantasy equipment, so it’s a hard pass on sugarcane for me.
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

1. Sugarcane - does not fit into any map and harvester is too narrow and you can't put many harvesters to harvest them same time (have not tried cp mod does it).
2. Poplar - planting process is extremly tiresome, need three times to run to cover all the field not leaving rows.
3. Oilseed radish - i never use it, i don't see a point to plant it to get extra fertilization.

I have not tried olives and grapes yet, but they might be take nr3 place here.

Nobody did not ask, but favourite crops are:
1. Corn - you can harvest it with many harvester types (forage and regular) and it just looks so good on fields.
2. Soybeans - so easy to grow and harvest.
3. Cotton - one of the best crops to harvest, just get many harvesters to work same time, no need to worry about unloading, later collect bales with autoloading (if lazy) and it best earining crop also.
raran

Post by raran »

IceUul wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:49 am 1. Sugarcane - does not fit into any map and harvester is too narrow and you can't put many harvesters to harvest them same time (have not tried cp mod does it).
2. Poplar - planting process is extremly tiresome, need three times to run to cover all the field not leaving rows.
3. Oilseed radish - i never use it, i don't see a point to plant it to get extra fertilization.

I have not tried olives and grapes yet, but they might be take nr3 place here.

Nobody did not ask, but favourite crops are:
1. Corn - you can harvest it with many harvester types (forage and regular) and it just looks so good on fields.
2. Soybeans - so easy to grow and harvest.
3. Cotton - one of the best crops to harvest, just get many harvesters to work same time, no need to worry about unloading, later collect bales with autoloading (if lazy) and it best earining crop also.
Chopping corn for chaff is the most earning crop with the 7.8x yield bonus.