Cover crops and Precision Farming

hun3

Cover crops and Precision Farming

Post by hun3 »

I'm doing a no till cover crops operation and I'm at planting stage. I noticed that using the cultivator or direct seeder the field's nitrogen value doesn't change. I'm confused.

I thought using a cover crop will add a layer of fertilizations therefore increases the nitrogen level. The only way I can increase the nitrogen level on the field by applying solid fertilizer with a seeder. Which I try to avoid since I have cover crop planted.

What am I missing?

I took a screenshot using a cultivator. You can see 5kg/ha nitrogen. Is that all the nitrogen we get from cover crops?

raran

Re: Cover crops and Precision Farming

Post by raran »

That's all history. The only benefit is if you use grass as covercrop and take a cut of it before tilling.
hun3

Post by hun3 »

raran wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:06 pm That's all history. The only benefit is if you use grass as covercrop and take a cut of it before tilling.
Are you saying using cover crops is irrelevant with PF?
raran

Post by raran »

hun3 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:22 pm
raran wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:06 pm That's all history. The only benefit is if you use grass as covercrop and take a cut of it before tilling.
Yes.
hun3

Post by hun3 »

raran wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:24 pm
hun3 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:22 pm
Yes.
I see. So the whole ENVIRONMENT SCORE thing is pretty silly then is it? Green farming should be rewarded highest. :hmm:
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

hun3 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:00 pm The only way I can increase the nitrogen level on the field by applying solid fertilizer with a seeder. Which I try to avoid since I have cover crop planted.
You could use manure or slurry? I remember Lisertan saying they were making changes to how nitrogen was applied by certain crops in an update. I can’t remember which crops or when, but hopefully cover crops will be one of the ones fixed.
Last edited by Rasping rabbit on Thu May 19, 2022 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punchi

Post by punchi »

Oilseed Radish giving low N amounts (should be around 10kg as with every other crop you till in) is a bug that is already known and should be fixed with the next update
hun3

Post by hun3 »

punchi wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:23 pm Oilseed Radish giving low N amounts (should be around 10kg as with every other crop you till in) is a bug that is already known and should be fixed with the next update
Thanks didnt know. *thumbsup*
BitFarmer

Post by BitFarmer »

Oh this is a bug? Good to hear.