Rolling Stubble Tillage

jeremyj621

Rolling Stubble Tillage

Post by jeremyj621 »

Is using a field roller a realistic way to get rid of stubble tillage? It seems to me that would simply press the stubble down into the soil. Isn't it more realistic to till stubble into the soil using a plow or deep cultivator?
JensChrDK

Re: Rolling Stubble Tillage

Post by JensChrDK »

No it is not, have never seen it been done, and can't see why one would do so. Did someone tell you to do it that way?
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
jeremyj621

Post by jeremyj621 »

In the game, I discovered it's the only way to get rid of stubble tillage besides using a plow or deep cultivator.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Mulcher does that
jeremyj621

Post by jeremyj621 »

eric21 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:37 pm Mulcher does that
How? I used the mulcher after harvesting and then used a shallow cultivator and still ended up with stubble tillage.
jeremyj621

Post by jeremyj621 »

There really needs to be a section in the Tutorials or in-game help on "Stubble Tillage!" This is one thing players need to figure out how to deal with on their own.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

jeremyj621 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:48 pm There really needs to be a section in the Tutorials or in-game help on "Stubble Tillage!" This is one thing players need to figure out how to deal with on their own.
It basically means that you have done tillage through stubble as far as I am aware. Is it that you don’t like the look of it that you want to get rid of it?
MagicBoy

Post by MagicBoy »

jeremyj621 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:46 pm
eric21 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:37 pm Mulcher does that
How? I used the mulcher after harvesting and then used a shallow cultivator and still ended up with stubble tillage.
That's as it should be. Mulcher chops the crop residue, the shallow cultivator mixes it into the top of the soil and breaks up the roots structure a little. It's a good thing, adds nutrients back into the soil.
jeremyj621

Post by jeremyj621 »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:53 pm
jeremyj621 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:48 pm There really needs to be a section in the Tutorials or in-game help on "Stubble Tillage!" This is one thing players need to figure out how to deal with on their own.
It basically means that you have done tillage through stubble as far as I am aware. Is it that you don’t like the look of it that you want to get rid of it?
You can't plant in stubble tillage unless you use a direct seeder.
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

Stubble tillage would be tilling the stubble with a tillage tool such as a disk, cultivator etc as you first described
Playing on PC and PS4
jeremyj621

Post by jeremyj621 »

jeremyj621 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:34 am
Rasping rabbit wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:53 pm
You can't plant in stubble tillage unless you use a direct seeder.
OK. I just found out you can plant in stubble tillage with a normal seeder/planter. The stubble texture doesn't change, so when I first tried this, I assumed nothing was being seeded. Since the stubble remains, however, it makes it harder to see where you've seeded and where you haven't. See, this is another reason there needs to be a section in Tutorials or in-game help on stubble tillage so players don't need to find this out through trial, error, and guessing.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

It does change a little darker usually but that could depend on your platform/display etc.

I agree though, it is hard to see. I usually spread manure before seeding instead of before cultivating, which probably isn’t that realistic but it helps with the textures.