Does the wheel weights actually way anything?

Azfoor

Does the wheel weights actually way anything?

Post by Azfoor »

As the title says. Does the wheel weights way anything? Or is it only for show? And if they do weigh anything, how do I increase the weight?
MagicBoy

Re: Does the wheel weights actually way anything?

Post by MagicBoy »

Fit them on a tractor in the shop - does the weight of the tractor increase?

(The answer is yes by the way).
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

They certainly help when using a front loader and picking up bales and pallets. Whether they alter traction or friction, I've no idea. I tend to run with them anyway as they look better for most tractors in my opinion (and it saves a future expense if you have them as standard), and while there may be some difference between having them or not in the field, it's not noticeable in my experience.
Azfoor

Post by Azfoor »

Ok so they do weigh something. But does anyone know where to look I I want to increase the weight of a set of weights?
loki_79

Post by loki_79 »

Azfoor wrote: ↑Wed May 25, 2022 11:19 pm Ok so they do weigh something. But does anyone know where to look I I want to increase the weight of a set of weights?
Look in the wheelConfigurations section of the vehicle xml.
e.g.: <physics restLoad="2.5"/>
Azfoor

Post by Azfoor »

loki_79 wrote: ↑Wed May 25, 2022 11:46 pm
Azfoor wrote: ↑Wed May 25, 2022 11:19 pm Ok so they do weigh something. But does anyone know where to look I I want to increase the weight of a set of weights?
Ohh that's what that is? πŸ˜… Thank you! 😊
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I tested with weights in the last game by using an underpowered tractor pulling a ripper and adding more weight in increments by starting with none and switching to bigger and bigger front weights. The heavier the weight the more speed I would get while pulling the ripper. I think you could try the same type of test for the answer you seek.
Azfoor

Post by Azfoor »

I tried changing it to a higher number but nothing changes...! Shouldn't the back end go down a bit of i increase the weight? And how come when it's a front weight i can just enter a number and that's it? πŸ€”
loki_79

Post by loki_79 »

There are individual masses for each wheel in each configuration, so make sure you are changing the correct one. I'm pretty sure that all masses are just added to the vehicle mass, so it will not change the weight distribution or the centre of gravity, it will just make the vehicle heavier.
Eische

Post by Eische »

Azfoor wrote: ↑Thu May 26, 2022 8:55 pm
I tried changing it to a higher number but nothing changes...! Shouldn't the back end go down a bit of i increase the weight? And how come when it's a front weight i can just enter a number and that's it? πŸ€”
Changing the restLoad value will not increase weight of the vehicle/wheels.
restLoad is the load on the wheel while the vehicle is in rest on leveled ground. It can be determined using the vehicle debug commands while ingame. The value in the xml should not be too far off the value the debuug shows as the phisics solver might have problems once the vehicle is moving.

For changing the wheel weights you need to follow the wheel path in the xml. Wheel weights can be found in the respective configuration.
Example JD 8R: Rear wheels $data/shared/wheels/tires/trelleborg/TM1000/900_60R42.xml config=jd

Code: Select all

<configuration id="jd" >
            <innerRim filename="$data/shared/wheels/rims/rim007.i3d" nodeLeft="1|0" nodeRight="1|1" />
            <additional filename="$data/shared/wheels/weights/weight004.i3d" nodeLeft="0|0" nodeRight="0|1" offset="0.05" scale="0.94 0.94 0.94" mass="1" />
            <additional filename="$data/shared/wheels/weights/weight006.i3d" nodeLeft="0|0" nodeRight="0|1" offset="-0.01" scale="1.10 1.10 1.10" mass="0.3" />
        </configuration>
So in this case, each rear wheel weight will be 1.3 tons total. Adjust this to your liking. Make sure to adjust the restload accordingly.
You can also copy/add your own configuration and assign this in your vehicle. This way you don't mess up other vehicles using the same wheel config.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
loki_79

Post by loki_79 »

Can you no longer set the wheel mass anymore from the main vehicle xml? The last time I did was in FS19, but it worked then:

<wheels>
        <wheelConfigurations>
            <wheelConfiguration name="$l10n_configuration_valueDefault" price="0">
                <wheels autoRotateBackSpeed="1.0">
                    <wheel hasTireTracks="true" hasParticles="true" >
                        <physics rotSpeed="1" restLoad="0.5" repr="axisFrontLeft" driveNode="wheelFrontLeft" mass= "0.020" radius="0.41" width="0.27" forcePointRatio="0.5" initialCompression="25" suspTravel="0.09" spring="20" damper="5" frictionScale="1.5" />
                        <tire tireTrackAtlasIndex="1"/>
                    </wheel>

[... other wheels ...]

</wheels>
            </wheelConfiguration>
        </wheelConfigurations>
        <ackermannSteeringConfigurations>
            <ackermannSteering rotSpeed="100" rotMax="35" rotCenterWheel1="3" rotCenterWheel2="4"/>
        </ackermannSteeringConfigurations>
    </wheels>
Ekan

Post by Ekan »

Yes and no, you increase the mass of the tractor with a weight. So actally the weight dosent weigh anything. Correct me if im wrong.
FS since 2012 :hi:
"Immersive farmplay & detail fanatic"

PC: :gamer:
Acer "28" NItro XVO (4k)
Geforce RTX 3070
i7-8700k 5ghz (OC) (3.70ghz)
HyperX fury 32gb RAM
M.2 970 evoPlus (500gb)
M.2 MP500 (150gb)
ROG strix Z370-F
EVGA 750w psu, Corsair cooling & chassi
Azfoor

Post by Azfoor »

Eische wrote: ↑Fri May 27, 2022 10:29 am
Azfoor wrote: ↑Thu May 26, 2022 8:55 pm

e.g.: <physic
s restLoad="2.5"/>
Changing the restLoad value will not increase weight of the vehicle/wheels.
restLoad is the load on the wheel while the vehicle is in rest on leveled ground. It can be determined using the vehicle debug commands while ingame. The value in the xml should not be too far off the value the debuug shows as the phisics solver might have problems once the vehicle is moving.

For changing the wheel weights you need to follow the wheel path in the xml. Wheel weights can be found in the respective configuration.
Example JD 8R: Rear wheels $data/shared/wheels/tires/trelleborg/TM1000/900_60R42.xml config=jd

<configuration id="jd" >
            <innerRim filename="$data/shared/wheels/rims/rim007.i3d" nodeLeft="1|0" nodeRight="1|1" />
            <additional filename="$data/shared/wheels/weights/weight004.i3d" nodeLeft="0|0" nodeRight="0|1" offset="0.05" scale="0.94 0.94 0.94" mass="1" />
            <additional filename="$data/shared/wheels/weights/weight006.i3d" nodeLeft="0|0" nodeRight="0|1" offset="-0.01" scale="1.10 1.10 1.10" mass="0.3" />
        </configuration>
So in this case, each rear wheel weight will be 1.3 tons total. Adjust this to your liking. Make sure to adjust the restload accordingly.
You can also copy/add your own configuration and assign this in your vehicle. This way you don't mess up other vehicles using the same wheel config.
Soni just add that in to my wheels in the xml? πŸ€”
Eische

Post by Eische »

I'm assuming your tractor already has a wheel weight setup.
You can either:
1. change the weight in the wheel xml or
2. duplicate the existing config in the wheel xml and change the weight there.

If you do #2, rename your new config and refer to it in the tractor xml
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

When in the shop, it says how much the tractor weighs, and when adding wheel weights that number increases. So yes, they add weight to the tractor.
And traction, from my gaming experience (wouldn't call it testing) they add more traction than the twin wheels.
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick