Thoughts on Farming Simulator

Kamoore65536

Thoughts on Farming Simulator

Post by Kamoore65536 »

As someone who's first foray into Farming Simulator was Hagenstadt on a 286 computer and then went to x box and PS3 to now using a PS5 I have a fairly long history with this game. I have enjoyed every iteration of the game but have 3 glaringly obvious faults with all editions of the game.

The first is that the beginning maps are not in any way maps I enjoy. Where I grew in Eastern Illinois, Western Indiana up you did NOT have the animal pens 5 miles/kilometers from the farm house. They were at the farmhouse so you could get to the animals in a hurry in the event of bad weather. We also had one area where we collected scrap metal and wood.

The second is having area appropriate equipment. That means that you do not have European equipment on U.S. Maps.

The third is that the really good maps do not appear till the end of the game life. The best maps in my mind for FS19 were Rassvet & Attingham Park. Rassvet because we had the Eastern European tractors and equipment & Attingham Park because it just had a good feel about it.

I am an old man with very little understanding into the making of mods and maps so I am not able to make the things that would be what I grew up farming with and most of what I grew up with were post world war II pre 1960 stuff anyway.

That being said I do hope that the opening of a Giants office in the Mid West brings a better understanding to the European side of the game developers of this game.
Playing on a PS4 & PS4 Pro.
Added a PC at Christmas time.
i7-7700 quad core 3.6GHz(4.2GHz Turbo)
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
120 GB SATA solid State Drive
1TB SATA III hard Drive
Added a 4K TV
Added a PS5.
Illinois Farmer

Re: Thoughts on Farming Simulator

Post by Illinois Farmer »

1st as farms expand, it is very becoming more common to have livestock not all located at the same spot.
2nd as the game has expand there is enough mods out there that you don't have to play with European equipment. Also European equipment is becoming more popular as well like claas.
3rd you complain about not having American equipment and named your two favorite maps were European. Anyways maps take a long time to build and adapt so if you want quality it takes a long time.
4th how would opening an office in Chicago being an understanding to the European side of stuff? I would be surprised if anyone from Chicago would drive an hr plus to actually see any farm land. Also I hope it bring understanding to how American farming is not European.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

When I started reading "here are glaring issues" I can say these are the least of the things I thought I would read.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

The problem is where what you have seen around local to you, the Mid West is known for big fields and big equipment but that doesn't represent all of America. Knowadays there's European machines in the states and in Canada more and more now.

Since you grew up around farms around the 60s maybe you were expecting the old school machines and fields in fs?
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

eric21 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:32 am The problem is where what you have seen around local to you, the Mid West is known for big fields and big equipment but that doesn't represent all of America. Knowadays there's European machines in the states and in Canada more and more now.

Since you grew up around farms around the 60s maybe you were expecting the old school machines and fields in fs?
Well, maybe sometimes. 👩🏻‍🌾

I’m an old lady who loves to play FS. For me, I like to try to play in a way that my father would have played in Montana in 1912. Yes, that’s a big stretch, and I don’t ALWAYS want to play that way. I do wish there were more antique machines, even hand tools, etc. I know molders like to be popular and are, of course, creating to gain affect. I, personally, don’t enjoy long drives because I’m more interested in the logistics of farming than driving vehicles.

All that aside, I love this game.
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

SimulatedFarmer wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:01 pm
eric21 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:32 am The problem is where what you have seen around local to you, the Mid West is known for big fields and big equipment but that doesn't represent all of America. Knowadays there's European machines in the states and in Canada more and more now.

Well, maybe sometimes. 👩🏻‍🌾

I’m an old lady who loves to play FS. For me, I like to try to play in a way that my father would have played in Montana in 1912. Yes, that’s a big stretch, and I don’t ALWAYS want to play that way. I do wish there were more antique machines, even hand tools, etc. I know molders like to be popular and are, of course, creating to gain affect. I, personally, don’t enjoy long drives because I’m more interested in the logistics of farming than driving vehicles.

All that aside, I love this game.
Yeah this game has always been more European based, and the American farms are more what you'd see out in Jersey. Not in the farm belt part of the country. This games always been like that.

If you're not a PC player like me, we just have to wait. On 19 we got Welker Farms, Milennial Farmer, those are pretty decent maps.

The maps the game ships with, r most the mods, are mom pop farms in the hedgerows somewhere in the alps. I'm just playing the "Construction Map" mod on Xbox. That'll do in the meantime.
Kamoore65536

Post by Kamoore65536 »

I am not in any way saying that I dislike FS, I am saying that there are things that if I had not done like cleaning the yard, the trash from the barnyard, and had gates that did not open to all the way against the fence my father would have applied a punishment for not keeping the yard clean.

Also I did grow up with a dad who was Allis Chalmers loyal and a grandfather that was Ford loyal so I grew up with a Ford Commander 6000, a WD 45 diesel, and a 190XT Allis Chalmers. I especially miss the Gleaner A model as dad used it to open the corn fields so our 2 row pull type could pick the corn we hammer milled to feed our cows. I should also add that grandfather also had an 8N and a 950.

The 2 row pull type was a Minneapolis Moline branded picker.

Altogether we farmed around 260 acres.

The thing is that you never realize that how and where you are raised determines how you look at things later in life.
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
1TB SATA III hard Drive
Added a 4K TV
Added a PS5.
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

To Kamoore65536…

I just wanted to reassure you that I, at least, wasn’t thinking you don’t like the game. I can see I might have crafted that post better. I’m a 76 year old woman, the 4 th daughter to a dad who had been a dirt farm guy in the 1900s, who really wanted a son and suggested I might like to learn what he knew. I did. I worked my way through The Bluejackets Manual, worked on cars, did woodworking and metal lathe work, etc. AND, I do all the ‘lady crafts’, too. I am, truly blessed among women and self sufficient as, well, you get it.

FS is great. Dad would have loved it, shaken his head and chuckled. BTW, my mother was appalled by all the above.
Kamoore65536

Post by Kamoore65536 »

@SimulatedFarmer; The Bluejacket Manual brings back memories. The U.S. Navy in 1969 was interesting. My farming background put me in the CB's and I got to work dirt almost every duty station. None of the dirt smelled as good as the dirt at home though.
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
1TB SATA III hard Drive
Added a 4K TV
Added a PS5.