FS22 is too dark. Again.

Zero76Gaming

Re: FS22 is too dark. Again.

Post by Zero76Gaming »

Then submit a ticket. Complaining here isn't gonna fix anything. (If it needs a fix)
crash

Post by crash »

What tv du you have? Have you tuned your tv right, so it dosent limit the light output of the tv? Is HDR on? Is vrr on? Is those two on on your console? What picture mode is your tv on?

Anyways, take a look at this,
https://youtu.be/5Y9qcXMQg_s

https://youtu.be/t2DNCpj5mpU

There are some settings that can make black parts miss out on details and shadows
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Riven326 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:41 am
Zero76Gaming wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:16 am
Riven326 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:00 am I haven't had to do that in a game for years.
Again new game, new shaders, new textures. Every new game is hopefully different from the previous. So yeah you need to have different settings then you are used to, because it's new.

For me the top picture is unrealistic. The bottom is more real world. It's called personal preferences, you need to adjust it to your likings. Change the monitor, change gamma. Make it so you like it and enjoy the game.

If you are not happy with it and want to get it sorted, 1 thing you can do, create a ticket and see if they change it.
No. I should never have to adjust a game's gamma settings or worse, my television settings, to compensate for bad quality control on the part of the developer.

It's a shame they can't go back to FS17's lighting. It was kinda flat, but you could see everything.
I'm with Zero76Gaming on this - the FS22 looks more realistic to me.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Riven326 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:23 am Yes, I got one from each game. No, my tv does not support HDR.
Top Image is your original one, bottom image is my ingame screenshot on default settings.

Having seen your screenshot I could tell there was definitely something not right, as my screenshot is what Fs22 actually looks like. As to what settings need to be altered I am not sure not using console.

But at least you know it's possible to get better lighting than your currently using.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Zero76Gaming

Post by Zero76Gaming »

BulletBill wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:35 pm But at least you know it's possible to get better lighting than your currently using.
Well if i compare your PC picture with what he is used to on FS19, he is still not close to what he wants....

Top picture what he wants, bottom picture what he can get on xbox.

Probably his xbox a/v settings are incorrect.
Mellek

Post by Mellek »

The ingame camera apparently does not have an ND filter or imitates one without.
We used to have this issue with our older real cameras when filming tractors, even on cloudy days the sky is often very bright and the camera adapts the exposure of the entire picture to it.
Trying to get the exposure of the bright sky right causes the subject you actually want to see (the tractor) to become underexposed/dark, to prevent this we would always tilt the camera slightly downwards so you see less bright sky and more tractor, which also works ingame.

Our current camera has a built in ND filter which makes filming in difficult light conditions a lot easier, and I believe the game would also benefit from such a feature so you keep the detail in the sky and the tractor correctly exposed.
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

BulletBill wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:35 pm
Riven326 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:23 am Yes, I got one from each game. No, my tv does not support HDR.
Top Image is your original one, bottom image is my ingame screenshot on default settings.

Having seen your screenshot I could tell there was definitely something not right, as my screenshot is what Fs22 actually looks like. As to what settings need to be altered I am not sure not using console.

But at least you know it's possible to get better lighting than your currently using.
I appreciate your efforts. Undortunately, it appears to be the game itself that is the issue. My a/v settings are correct. No mismatch on the black levels. Blacks aren't being crushed and whites aren't being clipped. I confirmed this with test patterns.

The FS19 screenshot is also displaying correctly. Every other game displays correctly. I suspect that this version, the Xbox version, of 22, suffers from some kind of gamma issue. It's happened in the past with Xbox titles. It hasn't happened in a while though.
Zero76Gaming

Post by Zero76Gaming »

Riven326 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:14 pm I suspect that this version, the Xbox version, of 22, suffers from some kind of gamma issue. It's happened in the past with Xbox titles. It hasn't happened in a while though.
My version, the xbox version, of 22, don't suffer from this. Works fine, looks fine, no issues.

When is the last time you cleared your xbox cache? As that might fix it.

It's strange that you are the only one with this issue.
I haven't seen any other complaints about it. Yeah, only once, the map Gelderland was to dark, but that was map related as the author have fixed it.
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

Zero76Gaming wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:16 pm
Riven326 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:14 pm I suspect that this version, the Xbox version, of 22, suffers from some kind of gamma issue. It's happened in the past with Xbox titles. It hasn't happened in a while though.
My version, the xbox version, of 22, don't suffer from this. Works fine, looks fine, no issues.

I haven't seen any other complaints about it. Yeah, only once, the map Gelderland was to dark, but that was map related as the author have fixed it.
I'm playing on Xbox Series X. 4k resolution, 60hz. I'm at a loss as to why this is happening with this one game. I've switched resolutions, hertz, HDMI black levels, nothing fixes it.
Zero76Gaming

Post by Zero76Gaming »

Riven326 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:44 pm

I'm playing on Xbox Series X. 4k resolution, 60hz. I'm at a loss as to why this is happening with this one game. I've switched resolutions, hertz, HDMI black levels, nothing fixes it.
Like I asked before, when is the last time you did a cache clear on your xbox? (Don't worry you wont lose savegames or anything)
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

Zero76Gaming wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:14 pm
Riven326 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:44 pm

Like I asked before, when is the last time you did a cache clear on your xbox? (Don't worry you wont lose savegames or anything)
Just now. Still no fix. I'm playing through Gamepass. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it.
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

I'm playing on Series S but for me it's not so dark as in your screenshot. First I played on a TV, now on a game monitor. I changed a setting to PC RGB after I switched to the monitor, can it be you're using this setting instead of the standard one? Besides this, you are comparing a mod map (FS19) with a default map on FS22. Lot of modders using a different brightness as used on the default maps, so try to compare with a default map on both games, for example Erlengrat.

Most TV's are using a limited RGB range (the setting mentioned above), with less steps between white and black, so this possible explains the different between the screenshots posted by BulletBill.
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

Lexie wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:25 pm I'm playing on Series S but for me it's not so dark as in your screenshot. First I played on a TV, now on a game monitor. I changed a setting to PC RGB after I switched to the monitor, can it be you're using this setting instead of the standard one? Besides this, you are comparing a mod map (FS19) with a default map on FS22. Lot of modders using a different brightness as used on the default maps, so try to compare with a default map on both games, for example Erlengrat.

Most TV's are using a limited RGB range (the setting mentioned above), with less steps between white and black, so this possible explains the different between the screenshots posted by BulletBill.
I'm using limited RGB range as well. As I said, the blacks are not being crushed. I verified that with test patterns. Every other game looks correct.

That being said, I downloaded Goldcoast Valley and the lighting is perfect. No gamma issues at all. Looks perfect. I go back to the default American map, looks like stuff. I'm going to experiment with different maps. Thing is, there's so few American maps to choose from.

Edit: just to verify, is gamma 1.0 the default for everyone else in the 22 options menu?

Edit 2: my tv - https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio ... es-4k-2016
Zero76Gaming

Post by Zero76Gaming »

Riven326 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:36 pm Edit: just to verify, is gamma 1.0 the default for everyone else in the 22 options menu?
I believe it is yes.
Bobble2020

Post by Bobble2020 »

Just a slight thing , with FS22 you now have seasons which changes the darkness or light inworld