FS22 is too dark. Again.

Riven326

FS22 is too dark. Again.

Post by Riven326 »

So... here we are again. Thanks to the power of Xbox Gamepass, I was able to download and try FS22. Kudos to GIANTS for putting it on there.

Unfortunately this game's lighting is somehow even worse than FS19. Not only is it less dynamic, but shadows are also insanely dark. It's too the point where of you're looking from certain directions the wheels or tracks will be virtually indivisible against a dark background.

It's sad because the game itself is pretty good. But I can't get over how shitty everything looks. It's as if GIANTS still can't get the dynamic range right. One side of the tractor is fairly well lit, and the other side is as dark as a comet's asshole floating in dark space.

That's not how lighting is supposed to work. Super Mario 64 has more realistic lighting than this game does. Imagine how weird it would be if one side off Mario was properly lit and the other side was as dark as a shadow. I think that's something people would have pointed out even back in the 90's.

So yeah. I'm sorry it was a long post. But I've had about a week to mess subs with the game and I just couldn't believe the lighting was still an issue. I really wanted to leave no stone unturned, so to speak.
BulletBill

Re: FS22 is too dark. Again.

Post by BulletBill »

Riven326 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:51 pm So... here we are again. Thanks to the power of Xbox Gamepass, I was able to download and try FS22. Kudos to GIANTS for putting it on there.

Unfortunately this game's lighting is somehow even worse than FS19. Not only is it less dynamic, but shadows are also insanely dark. It's too the point where of you're looking from certain directions the wheels or tracks will be virtually indivisible against a dark background.

It's sad because the game itself is pretty good. But I can't get over how shitty everything looks. It's as if GIANTS still can't get the dynamic range right. One side of the tractor is fairly well lit, and the other side is as dark as a comet's asshole floating in dark space.

That's not how lighting is supposed to work. Super Mario 64 has more realistic lighting than this game does. Imagine how weird it would be if one side off Mario was properly lit and the other side was as dark as a shadow. I think that's something people would have pointed out even back in the 90's.

So yeah. I'm sorry it was a long post. But I've had about a week to mess subs with the game and I just couldn't believe the lighting was still an issue. I really wanted to leave no stone unturned, so to speak.
That's strange I've found 22 to be the opposite of 19..
19 had very high contrast shadows with not enough gain, whereas 22 for me is a bit more toned down.

Saying that I have altered the default lighting slightly.

Were you playing on default maps or mod maps? As if it was a mod map maybe it has some weird lighting preset perhaps?

Do you have some screenshots you can post? Would help us identify if there is a specific issue with your game.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

BulletBill wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:11 pm
Riven326 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:51 pm So... here we are again. Thanks to the power of Xbox Gamepass, I was able to download and try FS22. Kudos to GIANTS for putting it on there.

That's strange I've found 22 to be the opposite of 19..
19 had very high contrast shadows with not enough gain, whereas 22 for me is a bit more toned down.

Saying that I have altered the default lighting slightly.

Were you playing on default maps or mod maps? As if it was a mod map maybe it has some weird lighting preset perhaps?

Do you have some screenshots you can post? Would help us identify if there is a specific issue with your game.
I'm using the default American map. The gamma is set to 1.0, which is the default. I don't have screenshots because getting them from the Xbox to here is a pain without using a pc and a thumb drive.
Zero76Gaming

Post by Zero76Gaming »

Riven326 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:35 pm I'm using the default American map. The gamma is set to 1.0, which is the default. I don't have screenshots because getting them from the Xbox to here is a pain without using a pc and a thumb drive.
Im on xbox and it's fine for me.

You can take screenshot on xbox, use the xbox app on the phone to download it. Real easy.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I remember the first release of FS19 had this terribly overdone effect of looking up-sun, I've forgotten the name of the effect, which meant that you were effectively blind in that direction. I remember it being fixed in the first update and that it wasn't an issue in FS22.

As regards the OP's issue: I think it has to be isolated to their setup, given the sheer number of XBOX issues and this is the first time I've seen the "too dark" issue.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

blue_painted wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:21 pm I remember the first release of FS19 had this terribly overdone effect of looking up-sun, I've forgotten the name of the effect, which meant that you were effectively blind in that direction. I remember it being fixed in the first update and that it wasn't an issue in FS22.

As regards the OP's issue: I think it has to be isolated to their setup, given the sheer number of XBOX issues and this is the first time I've seen the "too dark" issue.
I don't see how. My set is calibrated to a gamma of 2.2. Every other game looks fine except FS19, which has always had the issue, albeit to a lesser extent than 22. Try the American default map. Buy a tractor and rotate the camera in the opposite direction of the sun. The whole side of the tractor becomes very dark.
hun3

Post by hun3 »

How people still play this game on a console is beyond me.
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

hun3 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:37 pm How people still play this game on a console is beyond me.
Graphics card prices are beyond me.
Zero76Gaming

Post by Zero76Gaming »

hun3 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:37 pm How people still play this game on a console is beyond me.
Got no issues on my Xbox Series.
Zero76Gaming

Post by Zero76Gaming »

Riven326 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:52 pm
Did you manage to take the screenshot BulletBill was asking for? If someone can tell what the issue is, it's him.

Do you got your xbox on hdr settings btw or?
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

Zero76Gaming wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:05 pm
Riven326 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:52 pm
Did you manage to take the screenshot BulletBill was asking for? If someone can tell what the issue is, it's him.

Do you got your xbox on hdr settings btw or?
Yes, I got one from each game. No, my tv does not support HDR.

Top is 19. Bottom is 22.
Zero76Gaming

Post by Zero76Gaming »

I don't see anything wrong with it. Yeah it's luckily not as bright as the top one. You need sunglasses for FS19.

Remember new game, improved shadows/graphics etc so you cant compare them with eachother.

I rather play bottom picture then top one. 😎
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

Zero76Gaming wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:26 am I don't see anything wrong with it. Yeah it's luckily not as bright as the top one. You need sunglasses for FS19.

Remember new game, improved shadows/graphics etc so you cant compare them with eachother.

I rather play bottom picture then top one. 😎
The sun is bright. When I go from one side of my truck to another in real life, it doesn't suddenly turn to darkness. It's not even that it looks bad, it just looks wrong. The fact that I even have to adjust the in-game gamma slider to compensate is unbelievable. I haven't had to do that in a game for years.
Zero76Gaming

Post by Zero76Gaming »

Riven326 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:00 am I haven't had to do that in a game for years.
Again new game, new shaders, new textures. Every new game is hopefully different from the previous. So yeah you need to have different settings then you are used to, because it's new.

For me the top picture is unrealistic. The bottom is more real world. It's called personal preferences, you need to adjust it to your likings. Change the monitor, change gamma. Make it so you like it and enjoy the game.

If you are not happy with it and want to get it sorted, 1 thing you can do, create a ticket and see if they change it.
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

Zero76Gaming wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:16 am
Riven326 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:00 am I haven't had to do that in a game for years.
Again new game, new shaders, new textures. Every new game is hopefully different from the previous. So yeah you need to have different settings then you are used to, because it's new.

For me the top picture is unrealistic. The bottom is more real world. It's called personal preferences, you need to adjust it to your likings. Change the monitor, change gamma. Make it so you like it and enjoy the game.

If you are not happy with it and want to get it sorted, 1 thing you can do, create a ticket and see if they change it.
No. I should never have to adjust a game's gamma settings or worse, my television settings, to compensate for bad quality control on the part of the developer.

It's a shame they can't go back to FS17's lighting. It was kinda flat, but you could see everything.