Rennebu Discussion and reports

olahaldor

Re: Rennebu Discussion and reports

Post by olahaldor »

pedrodefig wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:55 pm :)
No set plan on when. It's done when it's done.
The update will require a new savegame to enjoy the updates and fixes and additions.
JohnDeere77 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:27 pm :)
Not currently possible to download a newer version. Things are still in motion and evolving (almost) every other day, slowly. It wouldn't be much fun to play on it in its current state. Many moving parts, not tidied up. :)

To ease the pain, here's a little of the progress I've done the past one and a half months (or is it more?).
My long time dream and wish to start using Houdini for procedural modeling is slowly helping me go places; first up is roads. I wanted to make a tool where I can
- create curves (or import from Giants Editor)
- have the curve create road mesh
- have the road curve deform the terrain, so it is perfectly flat wherever the curve goes, to make the road mesh fit to the terrain a lot better than before
- Make a mask based on the process above, to smooth the terrain to eliminate jagged sawtooth/aliased edges as much as possible

Here's the setup for the tool.

Here's what the tool does (I've hidden the road mesh as that's sort of self explaining - but you can clearly see an improvement on the terrain!)

I have videos in this thread but doesn't seem to have caught any interest. Too techy, advanced or out of reach perhaps. :search:

Here's how it currently looks in this test I've made some progress on today, just minutes before this post. Hot off the press so to speak.

Also, just adding the current changelog.
Changelog 1.0.1.0

BUILDINGS OF NORWAY
- Grain mill now properly let you fill various products (Lime, herbicide, seeds, liquid fertilizer and fertilizer)
- Grain mill now accepts maize, honey and raisins to produce cereal
- Joker unload trigger updated
- Bruholt Hayloft updated tipCol and loading trigger
- Bruholt farmhouse removed snow from carport
- Bergtun sheep barn wool area markers added
- Hoveng barn fixed trigger areas for bales, grass and forage
- Ivar sheep barn wool area markers added
- Nørigard barn now has an info trigger
- Bergtun cow barn now has an info trigger
- Løkkja barn fixed ground floor going below ground level
- Temporary building sites added for new and (so far) planned placeables

RENNEBU
These changes require a new savegame:
- Various terrain and foliage fixes
- Changed tree at Nørigard. Should now be possible to cut if desired.
- Debris crushers are now placeables, and can be owned and sold by the player
- Enabled temp placeables outlined and planned (for now). They will appear as building sites until the buildings pack is updated with proper, functioning buildings.
- Optimized terrain along forestry/dirt roads
- Custom dirt road mesh
- Forklifts and/or telehandlers at the shop, sawmill, grainmill and carpenter. Free to use, no need to bring your own.

Fixes:
- Olive oil is now shown on price table
- Maize is possible to grow (not realistic but added again after many requests)
- Updated farmlands to adhere to the new feature where farmland ID's are shown on the map
- Fixed traffic congestion at two intersections.
pedrodefig

Post by pedrodefig »

Thanks for the update Ola. Take your time, it will be a great map with all those fixes and improvements. We will be on Silverrun for a while I guess.
JohnDeere77

Post by JohnDeere77 »

Wow! Im impressed! And regarding the videos, u are right. Its way over my head.

To anyone else who plays on this map: Am I supposed to be able to drop potatoes and stones on the ground anywhere (on my own land)? I can do ut with the bucket on my tractor, but not from my trailer.
Plays on pc, hardmode and loves grinding
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

Even though it's been a long time since my last update, I'm not sleeping. :)
I have made a handful new dirt roads using the tool in Houdini, and today I just got a whim of "let's do this!".

Platinum DLC content enabled in sawmill and carpenter. The Joker grocery store will accept these goods.
JohnDeere77

Post by JohnDeere77 »

I considered a post of "this is my farm" but focusing on gaming instead.

In short: Started a small farm with small/old equipment. Tried to have all the equipment from 1985 or older. In the cases where no such equipment was found I bought something small. So each season is a consequent year, and eight seasons later Im now in 1993. Started with zero debt, but increased property cost from $25000 to $40000, interest rate from 4% to 10% and deacreased profitability of diary with aprox 30%. In 1991 the Internation Axial Flow 1420 was available, so I could retire the Vistula. The John Deere I have will be traded in in 1997.. Will be great to drive in 40kmt instead of 32..

Really looking forward to the update, as I need more options on the buildingside when expanding the farm :-)
pingla90

Post by pingla90 »

Hi! I’m new here, have been playing for about 3-4months on Xbox. I’m wondering, will Rennebu ever be available on Xbox? Hoping the release of «Buildings of Norway» might be a tease of whats to come! ^^, And also.. I have been playing A LOT of The Sims, will there or are there the possibility to build up an entire land/map without having to program or go into the smallest itsybitsy detailing, if you understand what I mean? Like download the buildings, the decorations, houses etc etc.. Find a “naked” map and start creating?
XboX Gamer: pingla90 *thumbsup*
FS22 since 22 :biggrin2:
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

^^ Have you tried "No Man's Land"?

BTW, I'm on PS4 and would love to play Rennebu too, but I think it's a larger (4x4) map and thus probably can't be worked for console. Happy to be wrong on this of course!
Played FS2013 and FS15 on PS3
Playing FS17, FS19 and now FS22 on PS4
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
hun3

Post by hun3 »

Very interesting plans and progress as a former game artist myself its exciting....look forward this masterpiece come alive.

I have one embarrassing question tho...my PC (8 year old) struggling with a framerate. Now I know the short answer to this...its time to upgrade :) I'm curious if others experience the same....would there be a possibility of a "light" version of a map for us slow PC players :D

Anyways keep up the good work.
pingla90

Post by pingla90 »

Ahh okei, I don’t understand the programming part of building a map so yes maybe “No mans land” would be a option to make a «Land of my own» 😂
XboX Gamer: pingla90 *thumbsup*
FS22 since 22 :biggrin2:
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

pingla90 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:50 pm Hi! I’m new here, have been playing for about 3-4months on Xbox. I’m wondering, will Rennebu ever be available on Xbox?
Sadly, not now. It's a bit complex, but in short: the amount of trees on Rennebu is nearly 10 times more than on Silverrun. And even on that map, Giants have said on a stream they wanted about 50K trees, and had to step back to 20K trees for performance on consoles.
pingla90 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:50 pm Hoping the release of «Buildings of Norway» might be a tease of whats to come! ^^,
Yes, and no. :) I wanted the pack to be available on consoles so I can make future maps for consoles too.
pingla90 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:50 pm And also.. I have been playing A LOT of The Sims, will there or are there the possibility to build up an entire land/map without having to program or go into the smallest itsybitsy detailing, if you understand what I mean? Like download the buildings, the decorations, houses etc etc.. Find a “naked” map and start creating?
The short answer is: Almost. You need to get your hands dirty with both the editor and a text editor (I recommend VS Code).
Functions on buildings (such as sleep triggers, barns etc) will require you to add them properly in a placeables.xml file, with coordinates for where it goes in the map, and whether it is already owned by the player etc.

I can be of assistance to some degree but I think in general you should just get going, open the editor and learn. I knew nothing when I started three years ago either. It didn't take long until I had a first version of the map up and running though. The map has taken this long because I want to make most things myself to tailor the needs, especially placeables. :)

cedricthecat wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:44 pm BTW, I'm on PS4 and would love to play Rennebu too, but I think it's a larger (4x4) map and thus probably can't be worked for console. Happy to be wrong on this of course!
Rennebu is 16x. :)
hun3 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:07 pm Very interesting plans and progress as a former game artist myself its exciting....look forward this masterpiece come alive.

I have one embarrassing question tho...my PC (8 year old) struggling with a framerate. Now I know the short answer to this...its time to upgrade :) I'm curious if others experience the same....would there be a possibility of a "light" version of a map for us slow PC players :D

Anyways keep up the good work.
Thank you :) What games did you work on?

I think the best upgrade you can do is a fast CPU. I did not experience much performance gain going from RTX 2080 Ti to 3090 to 4090 in FS.. :)
In other games and 3D animation rendering, Substance Painter etc, better GPU makes more sense.

A light version.. Hmm maybe. If giants allows it, and I can have someone with LUA knowledge make a script for me to randomly delete trees perhaps. The map will look quite barren though.
hun3

Post by hun3 »

[/quote]
Thank you :) What games did you work on?

I think the best upgrade you can do is a fast CPU. I did not experience much performance gain going from RTX 2080 Ti to 3090 to 4090 in FS.. :)
In other games and 3D animation rendering, Substance Painter etc, better GPU makes more sense.

A light version.. Hmm maybe. If giants allows it, and I can have someone with LUA knowledge make a script for me to randomly delete trees perhaps. The map will look quite barren though.
[/quote]

Probably the most famous was Call of Duty I studied animation in school but ended up doing 3D moddeling...it was fun.
And no worries make this map as you intended...looking great already...plus this gives me a reason to build a new PC. :lol:
Leezer

Post by Leezer »

Loving the map, Ola. Nice touch that you gave your name to one of the field owners :)
Would be nice if the cow and hay barns in the Buildings of Norway set also accepted bales.

Hope it wouldn't upset you if I 'insert' a wooden bridge? The northern one is too narrow for nearly everything, and it's a long way round. Don't like being restricted to one side of the valley :) Of course, irl it would wash away at the first snow melt. Presumably most of the valley floor floods every spring?
Jorgeofthenorth

Post by Jorgeofthenorth »

So you do realize that this is an actual location?
You drive E6 from Oslo to Berkåk, (or from Trondheim to Bergkåk) and then turn left(right), then you drive the 700 that ends up in Orkanger.
So what is missing is a lot of the buildings in the valley. The farm that are there are super accurate, they are just like that irl.
FK (the mill is there), the Joker shop is there.
Where you buy machinery, Ramstad machine, is an entrepreneur. The Church is an exact copy. What is missing is a lot of other farms and buildings.

What isnt exact is the farming. I've driven past this area a lot of times. 80% of the crop is grass. So when I started the map I expected grass fields, but found none. Irl, Its grass nr 1, Barley nr 2, and not a lot of other stuff. The Barley is grown in different fields from year to year, and I guess the reason is two fold, 1. to get straw and as feed for animals. I dont think there is much food grade grown..
The yeald of barley is mediocre and its all planted as spring crops. I think the average is less than 400 kg/1000 m2.
The crops you in theory could grow irl:

Grass, grows well, think its harvested twice a year, early summer /Autumn.
Barley, normally mature, mediocre yield.
Wheat, some of the new, short straw wheats should be able to mature well. Oat, or a oat/barley(blandakorn) mix for animals.
Potatos, its not done much, but should work.
Olives and grapes, its too cold.. (could one of them be modified to apples or plums?)
Corn, not even for forage, season isnt long enough.
Sunflowers, not really, not of field.
Soybeans, not possible but could be replaced with broad beans, which might be theoretically possible
Canola, some spring types might mature. I am not sure if this is grown as I've never seen a field planted the last 20 years, driving through.
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

hun3 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:46 pm Probably the most famous was Call of Duty
Wow, nice :)

Leezer wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:08 pm Loving the map, Ola. Nice touch that you gave your name to one of the field owners :)
Would be nice if the cow and hay barns in the Buildings of Norway set also accepted bales.

Hope it wouldn't upset you if I 'insert' a wooden bridge? The northern one is too narrow for nearly everything, and it's a long way round. Don't like being restricted to one side of the valley :) Of course, irl it would wash away at the first snow melt. Presumably most of the valley floor floods every spring?
Thanks. :) All names are real Norwegian names. :)
The bridge is as it is in real life. I won't change it. :) I felt I was generous by making the bridge in the middle double the width as it is in real life.
If it bothers you, feel free to make your own version of it for *your* game.

The cow and hay barns are no different than other default buildings. Which ones exactly are you having trouble with?

There are some fields with canola each year. I think when my dad had it we used it for cow feed.
JohnDeere77

Post by JohnDeere77 »

Is an update of the map far away? Im gonna do some changes/investments on the farm so if I knew an aprox estimate of when I could expect an updte it would be very nice.