American Map - Tiny Fields

John.Ivy

American Map - Tiny Fields

Post by John.Ivy »

What is with the US maps that have 2-5 acres fields , Where we live no farmer has fields under 200+ acres , the ones who have anything smaller are cutting hay. Do you think farmers in Texas, OK, MT , WY are working 2 acre fields ? Where are the large field maps? Yields also seem a bit on the stingy side.
jeremyj621

Re: American Map - Tiny Fields

Post by jeremyj621 »

From what I hear, the Welker Farms map is (or should be) in testing for release on the FS Mod Hub. I've always liked the huge fields on that map typical of a Montana farm.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

John.Ivy wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:04 pm What is with the US maps that have 2-5 acres fields , Where we live no farmer has fields under 200+ acres , the ones who have anything smaller are cutting hay. Do you think farmers in Texas, OK, MT , WY are working 2 acre fields ? Where are the large field maps? Yields also seem a bit on the stingy side.
We don’t have a lot of farming here in Wyoming. The climate is considered arid high desert. And the lowest elevation is 3300ft above sea level. I see alfalfa farms for animal feed and some corn fields in the southeast. But an arid climate with dry rain isn’t good for needy crops.

But we have huge cattle ranches. Even small ones go 1500 acres—maybe 50-60 head on something so small.

Westbridge Hills 22 is very similar to FS17. Some large fields. I think one is even 15 h/a. I’m going to make a massive corn production pig and beef farm on that map. Also Southern Cross Station in Australia is all big fields. All about wool and cloth production with sugarcane.
crash

Post by crash »

Well you can fit 1 section with a quarter to spare in a standard 2x2 fs map.... 🤷
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

John.Ivy wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:04 pm What is with the US maps that have 2-5 acres fields , Where we live no farmer has fields under 200+ acres , the ones who have anything smaller are cutting hay. Do you think farmers in Texas, OK, MT , WY are working 2 acre fields ? Where are the large field maps? Yields also seem a bit on the stingy side.
You migh look at a new map called Spruce Mountain Farms. It promises Large to X-large fields.
Decriptus

Post by Decriptus »

I live in Georgia in a small town. We have all kinds of field sizes here, just because you see "American farm" in the description doesn't mean it's a Midwestern map. The united states has a lot of different things not just huge fields
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

What's the smallest size that isn't a garden?
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
John.Ivy

Post by John.Ivy »

Thanks for the map recommendations, I will check them out. Baffles me that a farmer in the US would buy or lease a combine to harvest <1 acre field. Not sure their is a cash crop high enough that would cover that expense at that size. Where I live in TX our farms are pretty large most are providing feed for the even larger ranches. To the guy who mentioned GA , do you have farmers making a living on 1-2 Acres farms? what do they produce? what size equipment would you even need for a 2 acres field little ford N series ?
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Clarke Farms on YouTube started off with lots of small field basically from what I see he was grabbing whatever land he could get his hands on when starting out.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

John.Ivy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:25 pm Thanks for the map recommendations, I will check them out. Baffles me that a farmer in the US would buy or lease a combine to harvest <1 acre field. Not sure their is a cash crop high enough that would cover that expense at that size. Where I live in TX our farms are pretty large most are providing feed for the even larger ranches. To the guy who mentioned GA , do you have farmers making a living on 1-2 Acres farms? what do they produce? what size equipment would you even need for a 2 acres field little ford N series ?
I'm not judging here, but the type of questions you are asking makes me believe you are young or haven't been around the block yet. A lot of farmers that farm small fields in the north east use older equipment and smaller equipment to farm the smaller fields we have here between the ridges and creeks and housing developments. You drive what you can fit down the roads. And a lot small farmers are "hobby farmers". They have day jobs and farm at night or on weekends. Cattle farms will range between 10-20 head. So no they are not making a living. But they are raising beef for family and friends. And most pay out local contractors to harvest fields, or have a 70+ year old combine that harvests 4 rows a pop.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
wheelmansteve

Post by wheelmansteve »

Frankenmuth map has decent sized fields, as does Stone Valley. I didn't play the Welker map in 19, but it should offer some space. I'm with the OP to some degree- I want to build up as large of an operation as I can within the limits of the map. (I'm on console- PS5.)
Old fat guy with a day job...
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

chedly_farms wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:42 pm
John.Ivy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:25 pm Thanks for the map recommendations, I will check them out. Baffles me that a farmer in the US would buy or lease a combine to harvest <1 acre field. Not sure their is a cash crop high enough that would cover that expense at that size. Where I live in TX our farms are pretty large most are providing feed for the even larger ranches. To the guy who mentioned GA , do you have farmers making a living on 1-2 Acres farms? what do they produce? what size equipment would you even need for a 2 acres field little ford N series ?
I'm not judging here, but the type of questions you are asking makes me believe you are young or haven't been around the block yet. A lot of farmers that farm small fields in the north east use older equipment and smaller equipment to farm the smaller fields we have here between the ridges and creeks and housing developments. You drive what you can fit down the roads. And a lot small farmers are "hobby farmers". They have day jobs and farm at night or on weekends. Cattle farms will range between 10-20 head. So no they are not making a living. But they are raising beef for family and friends. And most pay out local contractors to harvest fields, or have a 70+ year old combine that harvests 4 rows a pop.
Do they use gravity wagons :mrgreen:
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

norfolk farmer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:53 pm
Do they use gravity wagons :mrgreen:
shhhhh. They don't really exist. Everyone has a shiny new Peterbilt and Wilson Trailer.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

I would definitely suggest Souther Cross Station as well. It’s an Australian map with an appropriate growing season if you use seasons. It will force you in the action a lot, though. The fences and tress and field shapes aren’t AI friendly. I started off with two fields right by the spawn point. Unfortunately they were potato fields. I ended up with over 700k liters of potatoes on a none-prepped field. Won’t be doing potatoes for a while.

When I was in New England it seemed like everyone had a small farm behind or beside their houses. Mostly potatoes and apples in northeast Maine. In fact there was a decent size potato farm right across the street from the hospital parking lot. Coming from Wyoming it was a sight. A town every 5 minutes. Small, twisty roads. No open views.
ChiefContractor

Post by ChiefContractor »

forgot to mention they draw the grain in with a GRAVITY WAGON :lol:
Hello! I'm a PC gamer now! Care to join my server for Realistic and Fun Farming simulator 19 multiplayer?
If so, click here -> https://discord.gg/KnEzWm32tF