Griffin Indiana 22 Support Thread

ajFarmer

Griffin Indiana 22 Support Thread

Post by ajFarmer »

I am excited to announce Griffin Indiana 22, The map is a complete rebuild of Griffin Indiana 19. I have devoted an extreme amount of time to make the map both highly detailed and resource friendly.

After taking a break from modding I spent 100hrs or so on Elm Creek to enjoy all the new features. Elm Creek is a fantastic base map and I am thankful Giants listened to player feedback. I also couldn't help notice some similarities to Griffin Indiana 19 and this inspired me to fully rebuild my map.

The single biggest improvement is replacing all 10,250 trees, none of them are scaled or buried to make them cuttable and sandbox friendly. Speaking of sand box there are now 95 Farmlands and all of the farm buildings on the Main farm and Auxiliary farms are sellable. The houses on the Aux farms are not sellable to help keep slot count down. I replaced many of the buildings on the map to FS22 while keeping some of the Iconic buildings from FS17/FS19 for variety. I also incorporated Production buildings and Production Lots in town. When you purchase production buildings you will acquire the land as well.

As of now the file size for GRIN22 is 182mb vs 219mb for GRIN19. I am expecting the slot count to be in the 300-350 range but unsure at this time. To me GRIN22 will be a huge Improvement to GRIN19 and I hope you will all agree

This Thread will be the go to place for all things Griffin Indiana 22 related
Please try to use Spoilers if you need to copy my post for any future feedback. I tend to have rather long posts and I'm trying to limit the text walls. Thank you in advance.

Map Features
Griffin is a Real life town located in Southern Indiana, USA.
The town and area are typical of older Midwestern settlements. Most farmers today plant maize, soybeans and winter wheat here.
However its your time to take the reigns and shape this sandbox friendly map the way you want.
This is a complete rebuild of FS19 Griffin Indiana.

Local Legend:
Bigfoot has apparently pulled up stakes and moved on, as there have not been any sightings or howls in months.
The locals think during his stay he would take valuable coins from them and drop them in random places,
do to the fact he lacked proper pockets. They believe he was doing this in frustration over the farming noise.
If you find these golden coins they will help you a little in your new farming endeavor,
He also left a message with every one of them.
Find them all for a nice reward. So keep your eyes open and happy farming.

Map Features:
Highly Detailed
Real World Location
Real Terrain Data
Real Soil Data for Precision Farming DLC
Real off Map Border Image
Custom Area Growth Calendar
Custom License Plate
Custom Farm Workshop At Main Farm
Usable Buildings on Farms
Standard Crops
Field Contracts
Baling Contracts
Collectible Coins
Working Train
Pedestrian Traffic
Vehicle Traffic
Ai Splines
Helper Friendly
Small/Medium/Large Fields
Fields Easily Merged
Large Riding Trail Network
Main Roads Will Not Accumulate Snow
Roads Ownable Free
Deco Bush Mowable

The Numbers:
100 Collectible Coins
18 Train Cars
15 Minute Train Interval
21 Paintable Terrain Textures
3 Built in Placeable Old Barns
1 Built in Placeable Old Fermenting Silo
5 Production Points with Farmland acquired when purchased
26 Buyable In Town Residential Lots with Barns Individually Sellable
7 Buyable In Town Empty Production Lots
1 Buyable Motel Lot, Hard to see on PDA
2 Buyable Campground Lots, Hard to see on PDA
1 Main Farm with all Buildings Individually Sellable and Fencing Removable
8 Auxiliary Farms with all Barns Individually Sellable and Fencing Removable
2 Farmlands Dedicated Forest
16 Farmlands Wooded and Meadow
31 Farmlands with Arable Fields 220ha
7 Farmlands with Grass Fields 14ha
234 Hectares Total Ready To Be Worked
104 Farmlands Total
10250 Trees
Feedback Please/I will Keep this here for reference to thread/Map is Finished
Please only copy/paste # and question rather than all my thoughts when responding with input.
Thanks, and as always I appreciate the input.

#1 What are your thoughts on using real Life PDA? Answered: Vanilla Style PDA
Personally I like the cleanliness of the vanilla style PDA, I had problems with fields and roads not 100% lining up with Griffin Indiana 19. This is because I failed to change a setting in Google Earth that flattens image rather than showing the curvature of the earth.(sorry flat earthers the world is round) I lost my original image points in google Earth to apply flattening settings, so this will give me a headache trying to line it up on Griffin Indiana 22. So I'm heavily leaning towards vanilla style.

#2 What built in Production Points would you like to see?
Currently I have Dairy, Spinnery, Grain Mill, BGA, Sawmill and Carpenter.
I thought about ditching Carpenter to give the map a ultra vanilla start but then I do not have a sell point for boards
(bi product from sawmill) I can easily add it to Farmers Market if needed.

#3 Are the Buy/Sell Stations adequate? Answered: There fine the way I have them
If you notice below, currently there is no direct buying station for “CANOLA MAIZE SUNFLOWER SOYBEAN SUGARCANE SUGARBEET POTATO OLIVE GRAPE”. You must ship to Mount Vernon, Illinois via train. Or buy a production placeable. I did this for the sake of realism but after all this is a game. It does add an extra layer to the game but not sure if I should be the one to force the issue. I can easily add those to Johnson Farmers Market. Also in regards to the (price is 3x Higher than Buying Stations) at HH Milling Selling and GW Grain Elevator Selling
This makes it just a little more expensive on EASY setting, any lower and you could buy and sell and make a profit, and I'm trying to avoid this. On MEDIUM and HARD setting its not an issue.

Current Buying Stations and filltypes
Larsons Livestock- "STRAW DRYGRASS_WINDROW GRASS_WINDROW SILAGE SUGARBEET_CUT"
Johnsons Farmers Market- "EGG WOOL MILK BREAD HONEY BUTTER FLOUR CHEESE TOMATO LETTUCE STRAWBERRY RAISINS GRAPEJUICE SEEDS SUNFLOWER_OIL CANOLA_OIL OLIVE_OIL"
Uncle Petes Diner- "BREAD CHEESE GRAPEJUICE EGG STRAWBERRY LETTUCE TOMATO BUTTER CAKE"
Bowling Center- "BREAD CHEESE CHOCOLATE LETTUCE TOMATO"
Grocery Store- "FLOUR BREAD CAKE BUTTER CHEESE FABRIC SUGAR CLOTHES CEREAL SUNFLOWER_OIL CANOLA_OIL OLIVE_OIL GRAPE OLIVE RAISINS GRAPEJUICE CHOCOLATE FURNITURE STRAWBERRY LETTUCE TOMATO"
Campground- "WOODCHIPS"
Fairy Dairy- "MILK SUGAR"
Millers Sawmill- "WOOD"
Spinnery- "WOOL COTTON"
Debris Crusher- "STONE"
Timber Time Woodwork- "WOOD BOARDS"
HH Milling- "WHEAT BARLEY OAT SORGHUM"
BGA 250kw- "SILAGE MANURE SUGARBEET_CUT"
Mount Vernon, Illinois (train, price scale =1.1)- "WHEAT BARLEY OAT CANOLA MAIZE SUNFLOWER SOYBEAN SUGARCANE SUGARBEET POTATO SORGHUM WOODCHIPS OLIVE GRAPE SEEDS"
Mount Vernon, Illinois (train, price scale =1.1)- "WOOD"

Current Selling Stations and filltypes
Utility Department Selling- "LIME FERTILIZER SEEDS"
Utility Department- "WATER"
Larsons Livestock- "MANURE"
Gas Station- "DIESEL"
HH Milling Selling- "WHEAT BARLEY OAT SORGHUM" (price is 3x Higher than Buying Stations)
GW Grain Elevator Selling- "CANOLA SUNFLOWER SOYBEAN MAIZE POTATO" (price is 3x Higher than Buying Stations)

Useless Info: The game engine uses sellingStation in the xmls but in game there referred to as buying station, so confusing

#4 How much should the reward be for finding collectibles? Answered: $500 it is
I have custom gold coins (actually a yellow color and generic model) as the collectibles and they're a little bigger than a real Half Dollar. I wanted to make them a more difficult to find to add to game play. I will not place them where they can become a problem in terrain editor or with field work (hint).
I currently have the reward at $500 and I plan to have around 50 or more to find with a bonus when you find them all but I won't spoil that. I always thought the vanilla collectibles were way too generous with the rewards.

#5 Should I make the fields Bigger? Answered: Gap has been decreased on majority of fields
On Griffin Indiana 19 I had rather large gaps around edges of fields to keep Helpers from colliding with objects.
I am leaning towards decreasing these gaps for more realism. I honestly hardly even played Griffin Indiana 19 because of 22 dropping (I know it's sad, right) so not sure how well the Helpers managed, and if it can handle being closer to objects like border collisions or telephone poles.

#6 Should Downey Service Berry be cuttable with chainsaw? Answered: Tree will be able to be cut with Chainsaw
I can easily edit the collision to allow chainsaw cutting/removal rather than using forestry mulcher, I'm on the fence on this. I'm all about keeping the game harder.

#7 Should bushes be mowable Answered: Bushes will be mowable
On fence with this as well, there easily removable in the in game editor and I spent a lot of time to place that bush $@#IT

#8 Any changes to Growth Schedule you would like to see? Answered: Changes have been made see page2 of thread
I do want to keep ability to grow Cotton and Sugarcane. I know its not realistic to grow cotton or sugarcane in the area but I want to keep it sandbox friendly.

#9 Should you be able to unload directly from trailer at production product buying stations
I believe vanilla method is you must place Items on the ground

#10 Should I increase Farmland cost per Hector Acre?
Vanilla Elmcreek settings are $60,000 per HA and priceScale="1"
I have majority of farmland (arable) at $60,000 per HA and priceScale="1"
The farmlands with auxiliary farms and usable buildings are priceScale="1.1" to priceScale="1.3"
In town house lots are priceScale="2" to priceScale="6" depends on how nice the house is
In town production lots are priceScale="2"
I also have couple starter Lots/farmlands at priceScale="0.8"
Baseball field is priceScale="20" cost around 2.5 million
I personally don't want to lower it, But was wandering what everyone's thoughts were on it
I know it can be easy to make money even on HARD, So thought about increasing price per HA to help slow game pace down. Although buying baseball field and all the individual lots in town for roleplay would take some time to pull off.
Last edited by ajFarmer on Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 17 times in total.
garyst

Re: Griffin Indiana 22 Support Thread

Post by garyst »

Really excited for this map to return. For question #5 I say yes make the field boundaries as close to the road or ditches as possible. Nothing bothers me more when playing a new map seeing alot of waisted land around the fields and having to extend every field I buy.
Honkyfarmer_v1010

Post by Honkyfarmer_v1010 »

garyst wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:54 am Really excited for this map to return. For question #5 I say yes make the field boundaries as close to the road or ditches as possible. Nothing bothers me more when playing a new map seeing alot of waisted land around the fields and having to extend every field I buy.
Second this. I have no qualms about doing my own headlands then hiring a worker. I'd rather see true to life farm every possible inch.

Also played Griffin the most in 19 but still not as much as I would have liked. So happy to see the return!!!!
FTF
coleislazy

Post by coleislazy »

Yours was my favorite FS19 map so I'm super excited for this!
dc71295

Post by dc71295 »

I had over 400hrs on GI19 so to say I’m excited to see this map return is an understatement!!

#7 - as a console player I would love to be able to mow a pasture and remove the bushes at the same time. That would add another level of realism that we console players usually don’t get. Especially if that big grass area in the northwest of the map is still there and has many, many bushes in it lol.

Thanks for taking the time to remake this map and also for making this thread to take suggestions from the community. It’s very much appreciated.
wheelmansteve

Post by wheelmansteve »

AJ, you just made my day! Can't wait!

My only point of feedback (and this goes for ALL mappers...) is that the "train" sell point always seems to be the highest offer, and it just gets old. Everything else sounds great!
Old fat guy with a day job...
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

AJ! AJ! AJ! I'm happy that I wasn't the only one that noticed that Elm Creek is Similar to Griffin. But if I know you, you will take the elements of 22 and make Griffin that much better.

For Question #1, It did bother me that the pdf didn't line up correctly on Griffin 19, so I'm a fan of a vanilla map. Not that I needed it. I learned the map like the back of my hand.

For Question #2, I liked the grain sell point from last map. I'd like to see the livestock and dairy sell points more accesible for 18 wheelers. It was a "bad word" trying to get semi trucks into those points. For me it's more important to be able to get an 18 wheel Bull hauler into the livestock sell point more than anything. Also, I'd like to see a gravel/stone sell point put into the map. Also, I didn't like the odd building style for the grain mill last game. It didn't fit the aesthetic for me personally.

For Question #3, I like not cluttering the map and then selling things off map via train.

For Question #4, I think 500 bucks a pop is nice, with maybe like a 250k reward for finding them all. Kind of like finding a long lost train's gold from the civil war era.

For Question #5, I'd request field sizes being the same size. I like the idea of mowing around fields. It gives me something to do during downtime.

For Question #6, I don't understand the question in regards to Downey Service Berry

For Question #7, Yes, I like the idea of making bushes mowable.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
wheelmansteve

Post by wheelmansteve »

OK, I know I said everything else sounded great. Two revisions to that statement?
Re: Ched's #3 response, it would be great if the train and train load point had more capacity- 1,000,000l?
Re: Ched's #2 response re: trucks- totally agree. The intersections on Stone Valley 22 are great- you can get a truck or a tractor and implement around most corners without harvesting all the road signs.
ajFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

Thanks for the feedback, nothing is set in stone until I get more feed back and make the changes over the weekend. My thoughts so far

Regarding: #3 Are the Buy/Sell Stations adequate?
GW Grain Elevator(train storage silo) will now have a 1,000,000 liter capacity
I can make the price scale=1.0 to keep train from always being highest offer. I will keep the cost of renting train at $1000hr as of now.
I tried to make "Production Products" sellable via train, I had a loading ramp for fork trucks and everything. The actual trigger was off map like the train "WOOD" point. The problem is "Production Products" take time to unload unlike instant unloading of wood, when you drove the train off map your kicked from train and it would not trigger the sell. If I place it on the map(ahead of kick outpoint) it will work.
But then your just loading train, driving to the end of map and unloading at Trigger. You can do that with a tractor and trailer, so I think its redundant.
@Chedley- There is a buying station (place to get rid of it) for Stone Debris Crusher- "STONE" . Did you mean you wanted a place to purchase it?(selling station)

Regarding:#5 Should I make the fields Bigger?
Bigger is better and a believe it will make the map more realistic, there is something to gamey looking when I see the field edges so big.
@Chedly- Hunt for coins on your down time, ride the trails or wash that tractor. :lol:

Regarding: #6 Should Downey Service Berry be cuttable with chainsaw?
The Service Berry is a tree and cannot be removed with chainsaw on vanilla maps. Only removable via forestry mulcher to my knowledge. I can easily fix this if I edit collisions. See images below of what they look like
Downey Service BerryImage
Regarding: #7 Should bushes be mowable
Bushes will now be mowable it is more realistic anyway just be careful mowing
My concern was accidental removal while mowing, and there expensive to replace. For aesthetic reasons.
@dc71295- You can remove them via construction mode or vanilla forestry mulcher on any map.

@Chedley and wheelmansteve-
Regarding 18 wheeler access . I think 18 wheelers should be no problem now.
Both of the log fences at each station do not have collisions so you can drive through them. Let me know if you think it will work.
I have also removed a few collisions on telephone poles at intersections to help with this. If I have to update to remove more after map is released and play tested this will not break saves. So I can continue to address this. See spoiler below.
Animal DealerImage
Dairy Buying station is on gravel path by tanksImage
@Chedley
Regarding GRIN19 Grain Mill building style. Here is the new one for GRIN22
HH MillingImage
Buying station is at ground grate and Selling station is under the three tanks, Oh that poor DeerImage
Please Read first post of Thread for reference
Last edited by ajFarmer on Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheelmansteve

Post by wheelmansteve »

I can't wait. Wishing I could test on console for you! PS5 test program...Giants?
Honkyfarmer_v1010

Post by Honkyfarmer_v1010 »

I'm missing this map more and more now!! Looking good.

Am I the only one who actually loves the challenges of putting rigs where they need to be? Lol
FTF
Hoss1

Post by Hoss1 »

AJ, I can only echo what's already been said: you do nice work and I can't wait to get back to Griffin. Thanks for all your work and thanks for soliciting input from the "masses".
Playing on Xbox since FS15
Dudeguy

Post by Dudeguy »

Hey AJ awesome to see your work. I would really like to see dry corn as an option to sell at the grain elevator. I’m not quite sure what the mod is called on the mod hub right now. Anyways I’m super pumped about your map. Thanks for all your hard work
NotoriousWeber

Post by NotoriousWeber »

I am very excited to see this map making a come back for '22! I told myself I wasn't going to replay any maps from 19...but I don't feel like I was able to put enough hours into Griffin, so I am willing to make an exception. I haven't been able to find a great American map for 22 yet. And I know this will be it!!!
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant.
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

Any idea though if the train will be longer as Griffin, Indiana 19 was, including its GEO?
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Alma, Missouri: 50 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours