Formula for calculating machinery prices

Bogy12

Formula for calculating machinery prices

Post by Bogy12 »

Hi Guys,

is there any official documentation on the way prices for machinery & equipment were calculated during the game development ?
Like, for example, price for fertilizer spreader... how was that calculated ? Per liter of capacity ? Per spreading width ?

For some of the simpler equipment, its quite obvious to notice in which way everything was calculated. But for many its not... I know there has to be some way to make the game more balanced.
FarmerJohn89

Re: Formula for calculating machinery prices

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

I think they use the RRP most of the time.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

I'd guess the above is possibly correct though in real life some additional features which a machine has in real life which causes a higher price would not be available in game. Also if it is RRP then what you would actually pay in reality would be somewhat lower.
Bogy12

Post by Bogy12 »

Hmm, I was hoping that to get more specific answer since its quite hard to find any sort of RRP info for farming equipment on internet... Still, thank you. If anyone else can get any more specific information, it would be appreciated.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Tractor data usually lists the price when the tractor was originally released https://www.tractordata.com/
humbe

Post by humbe »

Which I think is also the reason many of the mods of a bit older gear sell stuff so cheap, because the suggested retail price is then taking from back in time, and not adjusted for inflation since then.

Of course the game can't reflect everything about a vehicle or equipment, so something that is a noticeable improvement of something older in real life, might be equally good, just more expensive, within the game, giving you little incentive to buy the more expensive version..
Bogy12

Post by Bogy12 »

Exactly. I was hoping that devs used some sort of formula, partially ignoring the real life prices and using that formula for gameplay balancing purposes (yes, it's not realistic, but this is a game. It requires balance).

I never stated why I asked the original question in the first place. Basically, I love mods. This game exists today because of the modding community. We all know that. But in every single title, mods (with their prices), simply messed up game balancing big time.

Why would I buy a new tractor (original in game equipment) for 200.000 euros if I have a mod tractor which has the exact same horsepower/speed/weight etc. like the original vehicle, but selling for the 100.000 euros.... Maybe the mod author put that price because the mod tractor represents vehicle which is much older model than the base game one.. And that is okay, because things would work like that in real life. That is fine, nothing wrong with that. But this is a video game..... in game, both tractor will behave exactly the same.. but will have 100.000 euro difference in price.... of course I would never ever think about buying the original one. I mean, why would I ?... I get the same performance for 100.000 euros less....

I was just hopping that there would be sort of a way that equipment/vehicles prices were calculated for balancing purposes. So that I can use that formula for mods. I know, then mod prices would not be realistic, but game would be balanced again. And that is what matters to me.

It's a shame. This is a problem which is bugging this series for a very long time now...
Spardose

Post by Spardose »

honestly I do not think this is a problem. It depends of course on your playstyle. If you go for maximum efficency then it is an potential issue, but a lot of players (myself included) have some extra rules for their savegame, for example using only equipment from a certain manufacturer or certain time (youngtimers only etc.).

So if I play with older equipment I save some money here but might need more time because the older equipment is smaller, if I go for current equipment I can play with the really big toys, but they are more expensive.

In the end it is just a big sandbox, so there is not really a need to balance all the equipment as long as you have no competitive playmode.

At least that's my opinion on it
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

^This is the winning comment. If you’re interested in inflation just price the tractor to what a similar horsepower and option tractor from current time is, that’s what it would be worth if it came out today. As far as adjusting for the game, no way don’t touch it. There’s no need to set limitations on others because you can’t control yourself. You also can run older used equipment quite successfully with no issues it’s not that abnormal to see