Direct Seeder Help/Recommendations

LittleWatt

Direct Seeder Help/Recommendations

Post by LittleWatt »

Okay, any assistance/experience with base game or modded direct drills would be appreciated. I’ve used three mod drills. The Horsch Pronto DC (leaves strips when AI uses it), the Bourgault FMS CD872-8 (is very susceptible to uneven fields), and the John Deere 8350 (excellent but small). I use Precision Farming so direct seeding gives me the best score. I’m currently on Southern Cross Station, which has huge fields, so I would prefer to use seeders more than 6m. Has anyone used either a great than 6m drill or a modded one that seems to work near flawlessly? With the Horsch and Bourgault, I end up going back over the field a bit too much. I generally look for a seeder with fertilizer but if anyone has found a high success with just a seeder, I appreciate your advice. I don’t want to go through and buy every seeder to find a good option.

I always try smoothing fields that are excessive in their dips and rises. But sometimes actually raising or lowering is the only option, which I prefer to not do.
wheelmansteve

Re: Direct Seeder Help/Recommendations

Post by wheelmansteve »

I get strips with everything, but I like the Bourgault for capacity and ease of use. I too would like a single unit direct-drill option in the 12-16M size range. PF really ties your hands on equipment choice, at least if you're chasing that Environmental Score. Are you using an RTK Station? There was a discussion on that saying the RTK may have been casing overlap issues with the JD 50 foot header, and I wondered if that might have also affected overlap on seeders. I deleted my RTK, but haven't planted or harvested anything yet to test.
Old fat guy with a day job...
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

wheelmansteve wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:00 pm I get strips with everything, but I like the Bourgault for capacity and ease of use. I too would like a single unit direct-drill option in the 12-16M size range. PF really ties your hands on equipment choice, at least if you're chasing that Environmental Score. Are you using an RTK Station? There was a discussion on that saying the RTK may have been casing overlap issues with the JD 50 foot header, and I wondered if that might have also affected overlap on seeders. I deleted my RTK, but haven't planted or harvested anything yet to test.
I was in that conversation. That’s when I switched to the Bourgault versus the Pronto. But the one field on Southern Cross Station was really smooth and I didn’t have divots. But I just planted another two with that drill and I spent an additional 25 minutes fixing all the patches. This wasn’t AI either because I couldn’t fix those spots with the Bourgault. I had to take the little Deere seeder and fix them. Sometimes I could repair misses by going at a perpendicular angle to the patches. Other times, I had to switch seeders. I did download a couple different seeders to try. One is the new John Deere 1590 and Tandem. If it works, should get 13.5 meters. As for the row crops, I found the huge Deere DB-120 48 Row 30” worked fine. It’s huge though.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

Oops, the Tandem is only updated and 9 meters.
Tranceformer81

Post by Tranceformer81 »

Download the Seeding Options mod. It only works with base game planters and seeders but gives you the option to turn fertilising off for more seed capacity if you want and turns them into direct drills. It means you can use the Amazone Citan 150001-C as a direct drill with a 15m working width.

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2022
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

Tranceformer81 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:45 pm Download the Seeding Options mod. It only works with base game planters and seeders but gives you the option to turn fertilising off for more seed capacity if you want and turns them into direct drills. It means you can use the Amazone Citan 150001-C as a direct drill with a 15m working width.

Does that mod force you to buy specific seed types, or is it still one size fits all?
wheelmansteve

Post by wheelmansteve »

Just so I am clear, LW; when you say strips, do you mean unplanted strips? I get stripes of different levels of nitrogen...
Old fat guy with a day job...
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

Completely unplanted. As in if you leave it, weeds will grow, even in a grass field. Oddly, if you spray those weeds in a grass field with the See And Spray it spritzes herbicide, and the grass field updates, but the weeds remain green. With the Pronto, the issue was AI related combined with a short turn around on the ends. The Bourgault leaves 8 meter patches of unseeded field. It could be the field, but I haven’t tried it on a different map.
Tranceformer81

Post by Tranceformer81 »

LittleWatt wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:24 pm
Tranceformer81 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:45 pm Download the Seeding Options mod. It only works with base game planters and seeders but gives you the option to turn fertilising off for more seed capacity if you want and turns them into direct drills. It means you can use the Amazone Citan 150001-C as a direct drill with a 15m working width.

Does that mod force you to buy specific seed types, or is it still one size fits all?
No, that's the Seeds Addon mod that does that. I don't know if it conflicts with that as I don't use it
GrimGandalf

Post by GrimGandalf »

I'm not playing with precision on, and I'm playing on Elm Creek's flat fields so keep that in mind. The Terminator has been working well for me. I do put in a headland to keep them away from trees and the road, but the worker gets the whole field without issue otherwise.
PS4, XBOX X & PC Video Game Farmer
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

Tranceformer81 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:23 pm
LittleWatt wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:24 pm

No, that's the Seeds Addon mod that does that. I don't know if it conflicts with that as I don't use it
I don’t use it either. I’ll take a look at the mod you suggested.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

GrimGandalf wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:59 pm I'm not playing with precision on, and I'm playing on Elm Creek's flat fields so keep that in mind. The Terminator has been working well for me. I do put in a headland to keep them away from trees and the road, but the worker gets the whole field without issue otherwise.
I do have that mod. And planned on moving to a big seeder like that. The fields on Souther Cross Station are enormous for a normal sized map.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

410,000 liters of corn later (Southern Cross Station field 7 with 99 Precision Farming field score), I’m prepping field for some new seed drills. I’m going to lease some options from here and see what occurs.
Decriptus

Post by Decriptus »

This has to be a PF issue. I use the Bourgault 8m on every map I play and have not once had strips. So it's not a seeder issue. Maybe use workers in other areas and see the field yourself? Or just allocate time for "clean up"
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

Decriptus wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:53 am This has to be a PF issue. I use the Bourgault 8m on every map I play and have not once had strips. So it's not a seeder issue. Maybe use workers in other areas and see the field yourself? Or just allocate time for "clean up"
I did. I ran the seeder for the last part and got similar results. I even slowed the speed to see if it was a speed issue. It’s likely the field. Or the map as it happened in another field as well. As I mentioned earlier, I had to clean it up with a different drill, which means I had to run the seeder.