Field states

cedricthecat

Field states

Post by cedricthecat »

After dipping my toes into the waters of FS22 on release day, I decided I'd go back to FS19 for a while, to allow some initial bugs to be sorted and new mods to roll out.

I've now fired up FS22 and am finding my way around, using the Calmsden map - so far it's going very well!

I'm seeing some differences on field states. On FS19, to make as much from a crop as possible, I'd cultivate, fertilise, lime, sow, and fertilise again. These five actions reset the field states in between and usually gave 100% bonus, seemingly more-or-less irrespective of order. I didn't have weeds turned on BTW.

Now I'm seeing more options! As per these images

there's now additional descriptors of "Stubble tillage" and "Seedbed", and then "Needs rolling" and "Mulched". It seems the latter pair don't have much impact on percentages, but I assume they change states? (I'll be leaving weeds off once more, and for now at least, stones).

Not sure what "Stubble tillage" and "Seedbed" mean, so would appreciate some info if possible?

Also, I could have sworn that on FS19 you could do any of the state changes, like fertilise and lime, at any point, and they would work. Had what seemed an odd thing with lime, when I tried to do a field that had a crop ready to harvest on FS22 - the AI worker did the field, lime level in the spreader went down, but no lime was visible on the field and the overview showed "Needs lime" at the end. I guess that IRL you probably wouldn't lime over a crop, and it's possible this was the same with FS19? I always used to do liming before sowing on 19

For now, I'm leaving Seasonal growth off, and have set a fixed month (a summer one) at 28 days, as I get more of a feel for things.

Calmsden is great BTW. Is there any way to make hedges disappear, as I'd like to pop in a new road out of the farm, and prefer not to drive through hedges even if it is possible! :D
Played FS2013 and FS15 on PS3
Playing FS17, FS19 and now FS22 on PS4
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
LittleWatt

Re: Field states

Post by LittleWatt »

Well, I didn’t play FS22, but yes there are new things to do. To get 100%, you’ll need to plow, mulch, lime, roll, weed, and fert twice. I think that’s correct from the help menu. I use Precision Farming only, so I could be wrong. Mulching and rolling only give small bonuses so you’ll need to decide if they’re worth doing. But check out the help section in your map menu.
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

Even though seasonal growth is turned off, crops still grow at a seasonal rate. Seasonal growth just requires you to plant and harvest at specific times
Playing on PC and PS4
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

Still not sure what "Stubble tillage" and "Seedbed" mean :(
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
humbe

Post by humbe »

Rolling is a new feature of FS22..

Rolling after cultivating creates a seedbed.. As far as my understanding go, that has no game effect whatsoever. However, some people like to roleplay and work the farm as they would work it in real life, where a seedbed is a thing..

Also, if you play with stones, and you plow or cultivate, you may turn up small stones.. Rolling is thus the simplest way of getting rid of those stones, and then it's natural to roll after cultivating/plowing to get that seedbed to get rid of the stones..

Mulching is also new in FS22.. I think stubble tillage means you've just harvested, and the field is in a state where you could mulch it..

Mulching and rolling (after seeding) adds 2.5% yield each, so basically so little that they aren't worth it for the income, but if you wanna do it, the yield gain should pay back your expenses (Depending on how expensive machinery you use, they might not, or they might pay more than the expenses though).

Some operations are only allowed in states where they make sense in real life. Thus you can't lime crop ready to be harvested. Also, you cannot remove stones after seeding..
jeremyj621

Post by jeremyj621 »

cedricthecat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:51 pm Still not sure what "Stubble tillage" and "Seedbed" mean :(
If you use a shallow cultivator or use a subsoiler on a field after harvesting without plowing, you'll end up with stubble tillage. If you use a deep cultivator, you won't get stubble tillage. The store description for cultivators will tell you whether or not the one you're looking at is a shallow cultivator or not. Generally, deep cultivators have a smaller working width than shallow ones.

As far as the game is concerned, there's technically no difference between "cultivated," "seedbed," and "stubble tillage." You can plant in either field state.
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

^^ Thanks for this information both!
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

Can I ask another question on this please?

I've got what is effectively a test field on my Calmsden map, which I intend to sacrifice some of to make a yard for vehicle parking (once I get the hang of landscaping!)

Anyway, during the tests, I did some limited mulching, and then did the whole field with ploughs, then fertilised, limed, then more fertiliser. Now I can't get rid of the areas that show as mulched on the overview map. I know it doesn't matter as such, but I do like a map that's not patchy! I've tried cultivating, sowing and even re-ploughing with "allow fields" on, but still the mulch element remains.

So, am I stuck with this now until the crop grows and is harvested? Could I paint over the area, then re-make the field?

I'm thinking perhaps if mulching is done, do the lot in the future! Also, is there a definitive order to these steps? Clearly you can only mulch at a certain point, but still got to get the hang of the rolling! On another field, I rolled, then sowed, and now it's saying it needs rolling again, so I now know to roll after seeding! :D
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

Mulch stage disappears when you harvest, and then the next mulching should done after harvest.
So the steps are; mulch, cultivate, plant and roll. And of cause you can fertilize and lime before, after or in between. I can't remember if sprayers can, but I know that slurry spreaders can double-fertilize.

You could also just use a direct drill after harvest and skip mulching and rolling - if I remember right, they only add 2,5% yeild bonus each. But that comes down to your play style. :coolnew:
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

^^ Thanks for this!

It's nice to see the order laid out. In previous incarnations of FS, I've not really adhered to any order, but I do like the idea of realism, so even if that means spending more time on a field for little extra bonus, it's worth it :D
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
chaseydog

Post by chaseydog »

I’d recommend giving some of these a read. https://www.farming-simulator.com/newsA ... ews_id=280
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

Thanks for the link Chasey :)

I've read some of those, but need to perhaps read and test at the same time!
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
jeremyj621

Post by jeremyj621 »

humbe wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:40 pm ... Also, you cannot remove stones after seeding..
This is why I play with field stones disabled. Rolling the field after planting increases yield but doesn't remove stones once the field is planted. Stones have to be removed before planting, meaning you need to roll the field twice for increased yield: once to remove the stones after cultivating but before planting, and again after planting for the yield bonus. It's just a waste of time.
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

jeremyj621 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:26 pm
humbe wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:40 pm ... Also, you cannot remove stones after seeding..
This is why I play with field stones disabled. Rolling the field after planting increases yield but doesn't remove stones once the field is planted. Stones have to be removed before planting, meaning you need to roll the field twice for increased yield: once to remove the stones after cultivating but before planting, and again after planting for the yield bonus. It's just a waste of time.
If the stones are small (yellow on the map) they can be rolled down after seeding - but medium and big (orange and red) needs to be removed with a stone picker after plowing/deep cultivating. Shallow cultivating doesn't bring up stones.
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
jeremyj621

Post by jeremyj621 »

JensChrDK wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:36 pm
jeremyj621 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:26 pm
If the stones are small (yellow on the map) they can be rolled down after seeding - but medium and big (orange and red) needs to be removed with a stone picker after plowing/deep cultivating. Shallow cultivating doesn't bring up stones.
Well then stones must be bugged because twice now (on a mod map and on the Elmcreek map) I couldn't get rid of stones after planting either by rolling or with the stone collector.