subsoilers are obsolete with field stones ON?

deerefarm

Re: subsoilers are obsolete with field stones ON?

Post by deerefarm »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:16 pm
humbe wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:21 pm Point is, as far as I get it, is anyone still using a subsoiler, now that we get tedious to remove stones from them?
I would say yes there are. There are lots of players who will play using equipment they know, have used or remember dad/grandad etc using. Or even ‘that’s the type of equipment I see getting used on local farms’
Unlike me who uses the ‘it’s the biggest I can use on my tractor and it’s red’ logic. Or other colours/makes depending on my mood at the time. Each to their own play style I suppose, that’s one of the good things about Farming Simulator.
Hoffa82 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:27 am Yes, soil management is extremely basic in this game, so most of the difference in equipment is for roleplaying only.
Oh boy what a topic. Soil management is such a big and diverse subject, people spend years in school (and on the land) studying it. I doubt you'll find many farmers today that don't have an agronomist on the payroll. The game itself doesn't really touch soil management, and Precision Farming barely scratches the surface. I'm guessing this is partly by design so as not to overwhelm the player, but I also doubt that anyone at Giant's have more than a rudimentary understanding of soil management.
We had 3 farms (well 1 farm, 3 areas) two were fairly close together and the third was about 2 miles away and had a different soil type. As such they way you dealt with it was very different than the other two farms. Even after it was tile drained, the ground would stay "too wet" for about 2-3 weeks longer than the main farm area. Which for example meant that we couldn't use the same seed on it due to the shorter growing season. In short it was farmed differently. Overall the one thing we were lucky with was that stones were not a problem and rarely surfaced.

As for people using equipment because it's what they're used too, or have seen in videos, I totally agree. If it weren't for that fact, Giant's could get away with 100-200 pieces of equipment in the game instead of the vast array that there is now.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Yes that’s all fine and true but compaction is a pretty universal issue that’s a lot less complicated than some features in game. They’re often guilty of over simplifying things to the point they become complicated due to not making sense, this being a perfect example.
alanarientiziech

Post by alanarientiziech »

jeremyj621 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:07 am
Mwal wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:00 am Subsoilers are a solution to an issue giants didn’t depict in game. So realistically they’ve always been obsolete
Good point. Very true!
I've mainly used them for plow work before the stony pick thing