subsoilers are obsolete with field stones ON?

alanarientiziech

subsoilers are obsolete with field stones ON?

Post by alanarientiziech »

a slow and narrow machine + slow and narrow machine = a tedious and annoying work

with the coming of the new feature, is anyone still using those machines? should giants remove the effect of burrowing stones from them?
coleislazy

Re: subsoilers are obsolete with field stones ON?

Post by coleislazy »

i still prefer subsoilers on small to medium fields because their straight edge is so much easier to work with than a plow. spaders i haven't really found a reason to use though.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I rather use a chisel plow after harvest then a high speed disc in the spring.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

Truth is, I turned stones off. It’s too time consuming for the reward. I don’t try and make my game overly realistic. One, I’m not a farmer; two, it’s just a game to me. I do have weeds and periodic plowing on. Although, I’m testing the plowing thing with a huge corn field. So much of the research I’ve read states plowing isn’t beneficial as once thought. So, I’m going to see what happens. If my yield, with Precision Farming, stays the same or close enough, I’m not plowing ever unless it’s a newly purchased field. Back to the question, I’m sure it isn’t right, but I generally use a subsoiler for smaller machines and small fields. The horsepower requirement is much lower for subsoilers over plows. I also only use chisel plows in my game, they also seem to need less horsepower for wider coverage than moldboard plows.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Subsoilers are a solution to an issue giants didn’t depict in game. So realistically they’ve always been obsolete
humbe

Post by humbe »

I've always just used plows in FS19 & 22.. Considered other options in FS19, but think I went for plows for usability of creating fields + more options and working widths. But in FS22 with stones, anything that brings up larger than small stones are pretty useless as removing stones with a stone picker is major pain. I'm also considering turning stones off.. There's just too much of them, and no matter how many tons I ferry of the field, it doesn't affect how much more that shows up next time. A roller at least have working width and don't need to be emptied, so anything that brings up more than small stones will not be used much at all..

Not a farmer here either, so haven't really understood the differences of all the plowing and cultivating options in the game, so I guess they mostly exist for reasons that isn't covered in the game.
Hoffa82

Post by Hoffa82 »

Yes, soil management is extremely basic in this game, so most of the difference in equipment is for roleplaying only.
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

alanarientiziech wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:20 pm a slow and narrow machine + slow and narrow machine = a tedious and annoying work

with the coming of the new feature, is anyone still using those machines? should giants remove the effect of burrowing stones from them?
What is this new feature??
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
humbe

Post by humbe »

JensChrDK wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:17 pm
alanarientiziech wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:20 pm ...
The new documentation: https://www.farming-simulator.com/newsA ... ews_id=294
alanarientiziech

Post by alanarientiziech »

JensChrDK wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:17 pm
alanarientiziech wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:20 pm a slow and narrow machine + slow and narrow machine = a tedious and annoying work

what? read the title?
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

I'm sorry to both of you, but I still don't understand what "with the coming of the new feature" from OP's first post means - and the "new documentation" as Humbe wrote, was written by Giants in november last year... :confusednew:
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
humbe

Post by humbe »

JensChrDK wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:11 pm I'm sorry to both of you, but I still don't understand what "with the coming of the new feature" from OP's first post means - and the "new documentation" as Humbe wrote, was written by Giants in november last year... :confusednew:
I thought you were referring to the screenshot and where you got to see that information.

The OP is (likely) referring to stones, which is a new FS22 feature.. And as subsoilers bring out large stones, if you play with stones on, you need to use a rockpicker to remove them, and that is very tedious.. While a plow only brings up small stones you can roll back down with a roller with huge working width.

Point is, as far as I get it, is anyone still using a subsoiler, now that we get tedious to remove stones from them?
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

humbe wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:21 pm
Point is, as far as I get it, is anyone still using a subsoiler, now that we get tedious to remove stones from them?
I would say yes there are. There are lots of players who will play using equipment they know, have used or remember dad/grandad etc using. Or even ‘that’s the type of equipment I see getting used on local farms’

Unlike me who uses the ‘it’s the biggest I can use on my tractor and it’s red’ logic. Or other colours/makes depending on my mood at the time. Each to their own play style I suppose, that’s one of the good things about Farming Simulator.
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

humbe wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:21 pm
JensChrDK wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:11 pm I'm sorry to both of you, but I still don't understand what "with the coming of the new feature" from OP's first post means - and the "new documentation" as Humbe wrote, was written by Giants in november last year... :confusednew:
I thought you were referring to the screenshot and where you got to see that information.

The OP is (likely) referring to stones, which is a new FS22 feature.. And as subsoilers bring out large stones, if you play with stones on, you need to use a rockpicker to remove them, and that is very tedious.. While a plow only brings up small stones you can roll back down with a roller with huge working width.

Ahh.. Thanks for clearing that :biggrin2:

I play with the stones, yes it's fu...ng tedious, but I have come to terms with that sometimes I can play for a couple of hours and it almost feels like I have done nothing, while other times it's totally opposit.

But yes, I plow (if needed) or cultivate, collect stones (if they are to big to be rolled) and then use a slurry spreader with a shallow cultivator to get the double fert app and the seed bed. Not that the seed bed does anything, just looks very nice :lol:
jeremyj621

Post by jeremyj621 »

Mwal wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:00 am Subsoilers are a solution to an issue giants didn’t depict in game. So realistically they’ve always been obsolete
Good point. Very true!