yield decline precision farming

alanarientiziech

yield decline precision farming

Post by alanarientiziech »

Hello
I am currently using the precision farming dlc, and this is my third planting in this field, with each, decreasing the yield every next one
the rotation were canola (standard from the map generation), sown canola again and now wheat
and for any reason, I cant rise it to max yield

my currently work table:
day 01: gather soil sample, spray lime and sow
day 02: spray solid fertilizer (after the crop grow to stage 1 + ISARIA PRO), spray herbicide
I've gathered soil sample after the second harvest (gathering soil sample after each harvest changes anything?)
as we know, rolling only increase yield by 2,5%
I wonder if I didnt spray fertilizer right after sowing can result in decrease the potential yield after each day?!

somebody can help?
LittleWatt

Re: yield decline precision farming

Post by LittleWatt »

What is the soil type? Each soil type has a maximum yield allowable. Loamy sand is the worst at only 80%. Loam is best at 125%. Silty Clay gives 90% yield and Sandy Loam gives 100%. On your PF map go to Soil Information. The top soil is Loamy Sand then Sandy Loam, Loam, and Silty Clay. Your lime and fertilizer are perfect so, it’s likely just the soil type. Mulching also gives a 2.5% yield bonus.

Walk your field and check every soil type and check the yield versus potential.

You’ll only need a new soil sample after every six harvests, not including grass. I don’t believe grass requires soil retesting.
alanarientiziech

LittleWatt wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:43 am What is the soil type? Each soil type has a maximum yield allowable. Loamy sand is the worst at only 80%. Loam is best at 125%. Silty Clay gives 90% yield and Sandy Loam gives 100%. On your PF map go to Soil Information. The top soil is Loamy Sand then Sandy Loam, Loam, and Silty Clay. Your lime and fertilizer are perfect so, it’s likely just the soil type. Mulching also gives a 2.5% yield bonus.

Walk your field and check every soil type and check the yield versus potential.

You’ll only need a new soil sample after every six harvests, not including grass. I don’t believe grass requires soil retesting.
yes, I know, the soil of the field info is silty clay, and as you can see, its yield potential is 89 (the maximum of wheat on silty clay) and the current yield is at 80%, it's a gap of 9%, and after every sow, it increase, I am using direct planting after liming the field, I think the reduction of yield is happening because I am waiting to fertilize the field on the next day after the sowing, I am testing this right now in another field
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

You have to wait for plants to fertilize. The sensor needs to read the plant type to apply proper amount of fertilizer. Trouble is, you have perfect nitrogen. You say you’re using a direct drill. Does it have fertilizer in the tank? If it does, remove the fertilizer. Use only the sensors for fertilizing.
alanarientiziech

LittleWatt wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:00 am You have to wait for plants to fertilize. The sensor needs to read the plant type to apply proper amount of fertilizer. Trouble is, you have perfect nitrogen. You say you’re using a direct drill. Does it have fertilizer in the tank? If it does, remove the fertilizer. Use only the sensors for fertilizing.
I dont have, but I fertilized a field right after I've sown it, the current yield goes to 123%, the 2% remaining probably goes to the fertilizing with the nitrogen sensor, that I couldnt use because of the night time, so, you need to fertilize right after (or during the sow) to maximize yield
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

Not the case. I never fertilize until I see plants unless I use a slurry tanker, or solid manure, which needs either of the two the tractor sensors, When I use slurry or manure, I fertilize after liming and before planting. I’ve not seen a reduction in yield once I get the field fixed up. I did do a test regarding plowing but that seems to be completely unrelated to PF.

Precision Farming is a fluid system. The only way to be sure is to record the actual numbers year to year. Do everything exactly the same for at least two years and record any fluctuations. It may say expected yield but actually grant the full yield.
alanarientiziech

LittleWatt wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:28 am Not the case. I never fertilize until I see plants unless I use a slurry tanker, or solid manure, which needs either of the two the tractor sensors, When I use slurry or manure, I fertilize after liming and before planting. I’ve not seen a reduction in yield once I get the field fixed up. I did do a test regarding plowing but that seems to be completely unrelated to PF.

Precision Farming is a fluid system. The only way to be sure is to record the actual numbers year to year. Do everything exactly the same for at least two years and record any fluctuations. It may say expected yield but actually grant the full yield.
slurry tanks have a nitrogen sensor itself, and their application rate are limited, but I am pretty sure, if you fertilize after the crop grow 1 stage, you will lose potential yield
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

You’ll have to figure it out. I’m not going to argue about how it works. Good luck.
Honkyfarmer_v1010

Post by Honkyfarmer_v1010 »

I try not to worry about the percentages until after I harvest. Anyone striving for max % is going to have growing pains using PF
FTF
wheelmansteve

Post by wheelmansteve »

I think you're taking a yield penalty for herbicide. I had the same issue, with planting via direct-drill, and using spot-spray. My current order of ops based on discussion in another topic:
Mulch harvested field. (The Lizard "Katrina" can be run at 22 MPH with a small/medium tractor!)
Lime if needed
Slurry/Manure with sensor.
Cultivate w/ regular cultivator for weed control (NOT shallow or disk!)
Direct drill crop (Seems to "reset" the PF cultivation penalty...hopefully this won't be "fixed")
Roll
Herbicide when weeds appear- I am seeing SMALL weeds with this method, so no herbicide penalty...
Fertilize when crop is growing with Isaria crop sensors on vehicle.
Harvest- woohoo!
I am seeing the full "allowed" yield and still getting 98-100 Enviro Score on those fields.
Old fat guy with a day job...
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

wheelmansteve wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:41 pm I think you're taking a yield penalty for herbicide. I had the same issue, with planting via direct-drill, and using spot-spray. My current order of ops based on discussion in another topic:
Mulch harvested field. (The Lizard "Katrina" can be run at 22 MPH with a small/medium tractor!)
Lime if needed
Slurry/Manure with sensor.
Cultivate w/ regular cultivator for weed control (NOT shallow or disk!)
Direct drill crop (Seems to "reset" the PF cultivation penalty...hopefully this won't be "fixed")
Roll
Herbicide when weeds appear- I am seeing SMALL weeds with this method, so no herbicide penalty...
Fertilize when crop is growing with Isaria crop sensors on vehicle.
Harvest- woohoo!
I am seeing the full "allowed" yield and still getting 98-100 Enviro Score on those fields.
I’m using a lot of those options including the mulcher. But I never cultivate. Mulch, lime, organic fert if using it, seed, roll, weed, and fert. Always using crop sensors for each required step. Same yields and scores as you.
wheelmansteve

Post by wheelmansteve »

Interesting. I have several PF seasons on the books with lower yields, and didn't see an improvement until adding the cultivation step. I'm on PS5, for reference...
Old fat guy with a day job...
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

I just scored my first ever 100 overall after what felt like forever. Now 4 of my 6 fields (one is grapes another olives) all sit at 98 or 99 for a field score. The grapes and olives also have 99s but those can no longer be improved. And once I hit those fields with fertilizer, after the first growth stage, they should all go back to 100. All without a cultivator. Just all the normal prep and a direct drill.
alanarientiziech

I've found the problem: when the weeds begin to grow (on stage 1) spraying herbicide kill the weeds, but the weed penalty stay (even for spot & spray), weeders doesnt affected by this, maybe this is a bug?
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

You are penalized for using a mechanical weeder. Any sensors used post planting need visible plant grown. This includes weeds. Stage one weeds says weeder. Stage two is hoe. Three is herbicide. Don’t use weeder or hoe. Those are not for PF. Use the See And Spray only after you see weeds. They will appear the month after you’ve planted your crop.

Not a bug. It’s part of Precision Farming that can completely throw a wrench in the works. You will see both the Field Info and PF info. Field info isn’t specific to PF, so be sure to use the Help guide in the map menu. The Help menu gives explicit instructions about using weeder, and fertilizing, and how the score is calculated. There are caveats, and trial and error are really the only solutions.

Even within this post two different people have reached the same goals two different ways. I’m following what the help menu says almost to the letter. Then adding in mulching and rolling, which aren’t in the Help menu, but Giants did say they both impact yield. I’m not using a cultivator of any kind. I don’t plow fields after the first plowing. I don’t have a mechanical weeder. I use the three point mounted crop sensor, and a slurry tank sensor. I use a direct drill with the fertilizer tank empty. I always wait until I see plants before weeding or apply second fertilizer. That is how I’m getting full yield every time, according to the info, and having an upper 90s Environmental Score.