Crop Rotation! HELP!

bodzio528

Re: Crop Rotation! HELP!

Post by bodzio528 »

Dziwny85 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:47 pm I've downloaded crop rotation and place it in mods folder and I see nothing in my game. I'm playing on the old stream farm. Any thoughts?
Maybe, could you please share your log.txt (Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2022/log.txt)?
Motologist

Post by Motologist »

deerefarm wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:27 am
I wouldn't think it would be that hard and I'd even pay for it as a DLC, assuming it was a DLC that added new crop types as well. I'd love to see more nitrogen fixing crops added to the game. Mind you I won't hold my breath as they ruined Oilseed Radish with PF.
Honest question, how did PF ruin OSR? It works okay, my main annoyance is that it requires plowing to get the nitrogen bonus.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

Motologist wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:55 pm
deerefarm wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:27 am
I wouldn't think it would be that hard and I'd even pay for it as a DLC, assuming it was a DLC that added new crop types as well. I'd love to see more nitrogen fixing crops added to the game. Mind you I won't hold my breath as they ruined Oilseed Radish with PF.
Honest question, how did PF ruin OSR? It works okay, my main annoyance is that it requires plowing to get the nitrogen bonus.

i think when PF launched, OSR did nothing. IIRC, it now adds a whopping +20 Nitrogen to the soil. I suppose that may be accurate, as I think cover crops are mainly used to prevent soil erosion over the wet winter....and compaction and erosion are not in PF (probably because John Deere has no products for those problems).
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

dan1109 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:36 pm
i think when PF launched, OSR did nothing. IIRC, it now adds a whopping +20 Nitrogen to the soil. I suppose that may be accurate, as I think cover crops are mainly used to prevent soil erosion over the wet winter....and compaction and erosion are not in PF (probably because John Deere has no products for those problems).
Besides those things it should also “bank” nitrogen for the winter/off season rather than add it. PF doesn’t really penalize you runoff or fertilizing at the wrong time either so adding that to what you listed it doesn’t really make cover crops matter at all.
bodzio528

Post by bodzio528 »

dan1109 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:36 pm i think when PF launched, OSR did nothing. IIRC, it now adds a whopping +20 Nitrogen to the soil. I suppose that may be accurate, as I think cover crops are mainly used to prevent soil erosion over the wet winter....and compaction and erosion are not in PF (probably because John Deere has no products for those problems).
AFAIR there was a bug in first PF release that broke oilseed radish fertilization bonus. On the other hand OSR was totally OP providing 50% fertilization for free - that's a huge amount of nitrogen. From a certain point of view, PF actually fixed OSR, by disabling its bonus completely :D

Anyway, the reason my first release relied on PF was that I was planning to implement soil erosion / nutrients content change over time logic - PF mechanics is far superior to basegame. For example basegame has 2 fertilization levels. With PF it is possible to have hundreds of levels for each imagineable aspect: humus content, humidity, micro- and macroelements (potasium, sulphur, and so on). Variety of different factors, each and every one contributing to final yield pretty straigtforward - set map and contribution factor, and that's it.

Imagine: corn harvest leftovers need 3-4 years to mineralize into form that is available for new plants to grow. The process is not instant - roughly half of the mineralization is done in second year. By having a "biomass mineralization map" the exact way "nitrogen map" is done in PF, one can simulate nutrients content buildup over time.

But, that's just an idea. Maybe someone else will take it from here.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

dan1109 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:36 pm
Motologist wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:55 pm
deerefarm wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:27 am I wouldn't think it would be that hard and I'd even pay for it as a DLC, assuming it was a DLC that added new crop types as well. I'd love to see more nitrogen fixing crops added to the game. Mind you I won't hold my breath as they ruined Oilseed Radish with PF.
Yes Sorry I should have been more clear when I made my statement. OSR for a while gave you absolutely not nitrogen in PF and even when that was fixed you needed to plow it under. Hence my initial statement. Note: I have since discovered you can use a heavy cultivator or plow, but a shallow cultivator does nothing.
IRL OSR is a fascinating crop. As UncleRico points out it doesn't actually "add" nitrogen to the soil like some crops do, but because it has such long roots that go much deeper than traditional crop roots, it brings leeched nitrogen back to the surface so it can be used by traditional crops.
Also OSR as pointed out, it a great cover crop that prevents soil erosion, helps control weeds, and great for helping deal with compaction (deep thick roots help break up the hard pan). All of which are sadly something that's not supported by FS22, but really should be as they are a real problem in farming.
These are all features I'd love to see added to the game.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
bodzio528

Post by bodzio528 »

Dziwny85 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:47 pm I've downloaded crop rotation and place it in mods folder and I see nothing in my game. I'm playing on the old stream farm. Any thoughts?
I've tested The Old Stream Farm map with Crop Rotation mod and it is working well. Do you use any other mods?
JohnDeere77

Post by JohnDeere77 »

Is the new version of crop rotation somewere else than modhub?
Plays on pc, hardmode and loves grinding
empato

Post by empato »

Dziwny85

Post by Dziwny85 »

bodzio528 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:13 am
I've tested The Old Stream Farm map with Crop Rotation mod and it is working well. Do you use any other mods?
I've downloaded crop rotation mod from your GitHub and in log it shows a name mod issue so I downloaded from some mod website and it works perfectly. Sorry for my late answer. Mod is great and I'm waiting for more.
Dziwny85

Post by Dziwny85 »

Dziwny85 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:23 pm
bodzio528 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:13 am
I've downloaded crop rotation mod from your GitHub and in log it shows a name mod issue so I downloaded from some mod website and it works perfectly. Sorry for my late answer. Mod is great and I'm waiting for more.
It shows after downloading like this FS22_CropRotation-master. I'm assuming that I'm *$#%§* and did something wrong but still perfect mod and I'm more than happy with it.
empato

Post by empato »

You have to unzip the master folder.
After that, open that folder, mark everything inside and zip it again.
Dziwny85

Post by Dziwny85 »

empato wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:03 pm You have to unzip the master folder.
After that, open that folder, mark everything inside and zip it again.
Yep that's why I'm *$#%§*. Thanks
FladiCZ

Post by FladiCZ »

Hi,
first of all, the new version is awesome, thank you for your work. I added it to my modlist and then managed to add few new crops to it. But when I tried to start the game again, I was stuck on loading screen. The last entry in the log was: "attempt to index a nil value". I've fixed the problem by deleting the xml file in the savegame folder (the "croprotation.xml"). I'm 100% sure that it's caused by the added crops, but maybe you could help me to find a workaround (other than simply deleting the file every time I quit the game).
Thanks in advance.

The relevant part of the log:

Code: Select all

2022-09-23 23:00   Info: Loaded navigation cost map from savegame
2022-09-23 23:00  CropRotationData:load(): INFO fruit (13): 'GRAPE' not mentioned in data/crops.xml file.
2022-09-23 23:00  CropRotationData:load(): INFO fruit (14): 'OLIVE' not mentioned in data/crops.xml file.
2022-09-23 23:00  CropRotationData:load(): INFO fruit (17): 'OILSEEDRADISH' not mentioned in data/crops.xml file.
2022-09-23 23:00 Error: Running LUA method 'loadSharedI3DFileFinished'.
C:/Users/Admin/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2022/mods/FS22_CropRotation/gui/InGameMenuCropRotationPlanner.lua:95: attempt to index a nil value
Edit: After few tries I managed to "fix" it by alternating the CropRotationPlanner.lua:

Code: Select all

function CropRotationPlanner:loadFromSavegame(xmlFile)
    local plannerKey = "cropRotation.planner"
    if not hasXMLProperty(xmlFile, plannerKey) then
    log("CropRotationPlanner:loadFromSavegame(): INFO create empty crop rotation plan in memory.")

to: "if hasXMLProperty(xmlFile, plannerKey) then..."

And I'm of course aware that you don't support more crops yet, but maybe this report could help you in the future of this awesome mod.
bodzio528

Post by bodzio528 »

Hi, did you try to use additional fruits in rotation planner? Your fix disabled the reading of saved plan, so you start with empty plan on game loaded.

Could you please tell me which map is this issue visible? Can I download it for testing purposes?