Crop Rotation! HELP!

FladiCZ

Re: Crop Rotation! HELP!

Post by FladiCZ »

Yes, it happens if the extra crops are left in the planner. I tried it on random map with extra fruits, Agricultural land(but with the same alternation to the Crops.xml in your mod) and it happened again.
I'm pretty sure that the problem is that all I did is add the new fruits to the Crops.xml. But it seems that this is the only problem that occurs, it runs perfectly otherwise.
bodzio528

Post by bodzio528 »

At first glance, the map has typo in fruit types. ALFALFA was misspelled as ALFALA.

You can also try to set option enabled="false" in crops.xml for new fruits - this will prevent them to be displayed in planner, but also reset the rotation coefficients to 1.0. It results in no benefit and no penalty for planting custom crops, but they will be stored in field history record until support for custom crops is added.

I may not be able to test it on the same map by evening, so if you get meaningful results earlier, please post :)

EDIT(evening): I have successfully added some static support for additional crops, but it is not yet pushed on master branch.

https://github.com/bodzio528/FS22_CropR ... multifruit

The reasons are: 1. it is not extensively tested, use it only if map you play onto has custom crop definitions and you really want to use them in planner; 2. without support for external crop definitions it feels incomplete, and I wouldn't like to support over 9000 versions of custom-made crops.xml inserted into archive with my code. That's the definition of maintenance hell, very unpleasant for both developer and users.
dwightschrute

Post by dwightschrute »

This is probably a dumb question, but when I go to github for the crop rotation file, I do not see any zip files labeled as such. Do I downlad all the files listed and zip them ?
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

Hello.
Thanks for your great work, i really appreciate your mod, its a must have mod imo.
But i have noticed that its slightly different than how it was in FS19.
In FS19, cereal group were wheat,barley,oat and corn, legume was soybean and canola,sunflower were oilseed.
In FS19 you could not grow cereal after cereal, but in FS22 i see that you changed how it works, for example, i can grow wheat (1.05), oat (1.10) and barley (1.10), in FS19 you could not do this, otherwise you would receive yield penalty iirc.
Is there any way you could restore this and make it identical as it was in FS19 ?
Maybe keep your own crop rotation mod on Github as it is, but also add the 2nd one for us who prefer the old way crop rotation planner was back in FS19?
Also few more columns would be good, maybe 3-4 columns, but you would need to reduce font to be able to squeeze them all on the screen.
Basically, all i want is FS19 crop rotation planner back in FS22...not saying that your way of rotation is bad, its just that i am used to the FS19 rotation, since i know what i can grow even without looking at crop rotation planner and yield bonuses.
Is this possible to be done ?

bodzio528

Post by bodzio528 »

dwightschrute wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:17 am This is probably a dumb question, but when I go to github for the crop rotation file, I do not see any zip files labeled as such. Do I downlad all the files listed and zip them ?
Yes, it is my intention to limit pre-release users to minimum. Thus no download-ready zip inside repository. You can test the mod by downloading the github content and zipping it.

Modhub certification is ongoing, if nothing blows up, it should be available for broader public by the end of this week.
bojanh66 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:02 am Hello.
Thanks for your great work, i really appreciate your mod, its a must have mod imo.
But i have noticed that its slightly different than how it was in FS19.
In FS19, cereal group were wheat,barley,oat and corn, legume was soybean and canola,sunflower were oilseed.
In FS19 you could not grow cereal after cereal, but in FS22 i see that you changed how it works, for example, i can grow wheat (1.05), oat (1.10) and barley (1.10), in FS19 you could not do this, otherwise you would receive yield penalty iirc.
Is there any way you could restore this and make it identical as it was in FS19 ?
Maybe keep your own crop rotation mod on Github as it is, but also add the 2nd one for us who prefer the old way crop rotation planner was back in FS19?
Also few more columns would be good, maybe 3-4 columns, but you would need to reduce font to be able to squeeze them all on the screen.
Basically, all i want is FS19 crop rotation planner back in FS22...not saying that your way of rotation is bad, its just that i am used to the FS19 rotation, since i know what i can grow even without looking at crop rotation planner and yield bonuses.
Is this possible to be done ?

As you can see from the mod icon, this is version 2 of the mod. Version 1 was exact port of FS19 seasons, and was available in modhub for like 3 hours, then took down for violating authorship law. My question to realismuss modding was left unanswered for months... Thus I've decided to write it again, avoiding any legal claims by removing all and any seasons code.

I am also convinced that FS19 version was very established in community, but I am not allowed to use a single line of its code. I think it was overall better fit for simulation.

This legal limitation includes overall planner design and yield bonus factors as well.

Luckily "crop rotation" idea dates back to medieval age, so I could use it as a mod title :D

It is possible to create my version of crops.xml that emulate FS19 seasons, but there will always be small difference in yield bonus percentage. When I designed my rotation algorithms, I had in mind that there is Precision Farming DLC, so my algorithm must work well with and without PF. That's why the max yield bonus you can get from rotation is 1.15. This is still a huge bonus, however it is pretty hard to achieve (it involves a lot of fallows to get there). On the other hand the deduction due to monoculture is way higher, up to 0.50 (half of yield lost), because that's the mod's prime idea: to discourage planting potatoes over and over again.

To wrap up, sorry for inconvenience caused, but using FS19 algorithm and planner design is not possible.
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

No problem, thanks for the explanation, the mod is good as it is, i just need to get used to different crop rotation planning, no more planning in the head :D
It is possible to get 1.15 bonus without any fallow field.
Are you planning to add a few more columns, so we can have our favorite combinations in different columns ? 3 or maybe 4 columns would be ideal.
Image Image Image
bodzio528

Post by bodzio528 »

Yes, multiple plan display is on my wishlist, prioritized after additional crops support.

Of course plans made in single column will be imported without change. You are free to plan your perfect crop rotation - it won't be lost on transition.

Yes, using certain crops it is possible to get full bonus, thanks for correction. But note that all (except first - oat is plant that cleans soil a bit IRL, farmers use it for breaking monocultures) rotations you mentioned is oilseed-cereal-soybeans - rotation that was very productive in FS19 seasons anyway :)
FladiCZ

Post by FladiCZ »

bodzio528 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:32 pm
The reasons are: 1. it is not extensively tested, use it only if map you play onto has custom crop definitions and you really want to use them in planner; 2. without support for external crop definitions it feels incomplete, and I wouldn't like to support over 9000 versions of custom-made crops.xml inserted into archive with my code. That's the definition of maintenance hell, very unpleasant for both developer and users.
Wow, thanks for looking into it! Basically, I posted about it here for few reasons:
1. To let you know that this happens when custom crops are added, so you would get some user feedback that could be helpful.
2. To ask about it, because I just learned how to add crops to map via trial and error, so there was a high probability that I just missed some banality.
3. To let other players that might want to use the Crop Rotation on multifruit know how to "fix" this problem.

In no way I meant to ask you for a support of multifruit, as only balancing it is a pain. Good luck in the future of this awesome mod!
bodzio528

Post by bodzio528 »

Sure thing, your input is appreciated and highly welcome :)

And this discussion gives me some thoughts about what is going to happen after modhub release. I think I should start some proper crop rotation mod support thread...

Anyway, the idea is to let map creators/modders/players balance the additional crops by giving them proper tools - as Seasons did with GEO mods, or PrecisionFarming with map creators guide. At some point in future there will be three places read for crops configuration:
1. default configuration inside crop rotation mod;
2. map-specific file placed alongside mapFruitTypes.xml by map creator;
3. External GEO-like mod, created and maintained by modder. (By the way, if someone has better name than "CropRotationGEO" - please let me know.)

We are now in step 1, meaning that first modhub drop (tomorrow?) will not have multifruit support, and modifying crops.xml results in what you, FladiCZ, have found so far. My goal is to give the community some valuable content as soon as possible within my personal time constraints. Please remember that I've already failed miserably once, and that failure caused over-a-month delay (and still counting).

Options 2 and 3 are scheduled for multifruit update that I am actively developing. ETA is 2-3 weeks from now.

Today I have ran another stability test of dev-multifruit branch, I've catch small bug that is now fixed. All brave souls that decide to test it, please share your findings :)
gile

Post by gile »

Finaly, found the time to spend some time with the Crop rotation mod and I like it. It adds a little planing to the game. Would like a second or even a third column, but I can live with how it is. Good job. *thumbsup*

PS: not long ago, I asked for a crop rotation mod around these here forums and behold - here it is. Now I'll try my luck with another request in another topic: drying hay taking some time...
bodzio528

Post by bodzio528 »

gile wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:14 am Finaly, found the time to spend some time with the Crop rotation mod and I like it. It adds a little planing to the game. Would like a second or even a third column, but I can live with how it is. Good job. *thumbsup*

PS: not long ago, I asked for a crop rotation mod around these here forums and behold - here it is. Now I'll try my luck with another request in another topic: drying hay taking some time...
Hmmm, for multi-stage hay drying you have Maize plus, released last week. It is manual, means you achieve next stages of drying by tedderring the field multiple times.

On the other hand, a friend of mine is trying to prepare weather-based hay drying mod, but he is at the beginning of development, so we have no idea how long will it take... So, you lucky gile, can you tell me what the lottery numbers going to be next week? :D You seem to be quite gifted in predicting future events :D
gile

Post by gile »

LOL Bodzio, I guess I'll have to buy a lottery ticket aswell :biggrin2:

As for the hay drying in Maizeplus - it's OK, but sooner or later one will cut it short, it's in our nature. If implemented corectly, like in FS19 Seasons, we don't have a choise. So, really hope your friend makes it, it would be a game changer.
bodzio528

Post by bodzio528 »

The mod has been released, I've started dedicated thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=966&t=195382
Meckel34

Post by Meckel34 »

I like the mod very much. One of the things I like best is that not all cereals are the same. You can also grow summer cereals after winter cereals. Very realistic in my eyes. *thumbsup*
MfG
Meckel34

Alle LS- Versionen, alle DLC's, alles 2x. Mobil LS 14, 16, DC, SRS
Michael_Jones

Post by Michael_Jones »

In addition to the suggestions and ideas, I would like to recommend checking info about crop rotation. This article provides a comprehensive overview of the benefits of crop rotation https://eos.com/blog/crop-rotation/, including improved soil fertility and nutrient cycling, weed control, and reduced soil erosion. I think you will find some interesting points for yourself here and you can apply them, because I found it!