MAPS I miss the most in FS22

blue_painted

Re: MAPS I miss the most in FS22

Post by blue_painted »

BulletBill wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:11 am I understand about being nostalgic about old maps which I get to a point as there are a few maps over the years I have enjoyed thoroughly, however what I can never work out is how players are able to ignore how dated these maps are now.

Every map mentioned in this thread uses very outdated models, poor model textures, and while at the time of release they were ok, time has moved on and what is achievable with model and texture quality is far better now.

I can't even bear to even look at my old maps as the models and textures look so bad. I'm curious as to why this doesn't bother a lot of players.

I see the same attitude in most of the Fs22 maps released so far, outdated models with poor textures, bad scaling and just poor map construction. How does this not kill your enjoyment?
I can only speak for myself, of course, having said that I am making assumptions about your view and I could well be utterly wrong! Apologies n advance.

It's complicated and at the same time very simple:
Put simply, I, and maybe other players, are looking at a map differently than you do as the map maker.

The more complicated version:
I'm running a story, even if it's a very simple "let's get this barley in before the rain" and to do that I am focused on what is happening, what is going to happen and so on, the visual element is only part of that. I'm already using imagination to fill in for the mechanics, because I can press Pause any time I want, I can fake in some more money, load my trailers with extra barley etc. but instead I work within the imaginary constraints and the same applies to the visual. I know that almost every pub in Farm Sim looks the same, I know that up close the barn walls are smeary and/or pixelated. I know that barley stubble just doesn't look like that but I ignore it for the same reason: to make the story work.

The same thing put a different way:
As a programmer I write code. Code can be right or it can be wrong -- in fact it's more-right or less-wrong -- and yet still "work". To management, my boss, and probably end-users there is no difference, to them if it works it must be right. To me there's a whole series of "yes but..." and "what if..?" and "It could be better if ...". In this example, you are me (the programmer) and I am the end-user. To me, it works, to you "Yes, but it could be better ..."

I hope this makes some sort of sense ... it did to me before I wrote it down.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

blue_painted wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:58 am I can only speak for myself, of course, having said that I am making assumptions about your view and I could well be utterly wrong! Apologies n advance.

It's complicated and at the same time very simple:
Put simply, I, and maybe other players, are looking at a map differently than you do as the map maker.

The more complicated version:
I'm running a story, even if it's a very simple "let's get this barley in before the rain" and to do that I am focused on what is happening, what is going to happen and so on, the visual element is only part of that. I'm already using imagination to fill in for the mechanics, because I can press Pause any time I want, I can fake in some more money, load my trailers with extra barley etc. but instead I work within the imaginary constraints and the same applies to the visual. I know that almost every pub in Farm Sim looks the same, I know that up close the barn walls are smeary and/or pixelated. I know that barley stubble just doesn't look like that but I ignore it for the same reason: to make the story work.

The same thing put a different way:
As a programmer I write code. Code can be right or it can be wrong -- in fact it's more-right or less-wrong -- and yet still "work". To management, my boss, and probably end-users there is no difference, to them if it works it must be right. To me there's a whole series of "yes but..." and "what if..?" and "It could be better if ...". In this example, you are me (the programmer) and I am the end-user. To me, it works, to you "Yes, but it could be better ..."

I hope this makes some sort of sense ... it did to me before I wrote it down.
That makes perfect sense to me. I think that is the issue is as I've made each map I've never been 100% happy with it, and I can tell you every flaw on all of my maps.

I've always strived to do even better next time so that there is a constant improvement curve in quality.

Sometimes I wish could go back to just being a player and be able to enjoy the game more, as being a modder I'm extremely critical of my own work. I also find it incredibly frustrating when I see modders just converting old content as I don't get how they can be 100% happy with it, nor feel the need to improve it further.

I guess for myself I want every model and every aspect of my map to be as good as I can possibly make it within my current time, skill and energy I have available. Otherwise I just don't enjoy the game as I'm constantly reminded of everything that could be better.

Even now I've constructed hundreds of unique models for my WIP map yet I keep going back over the early ones to redo and improve them as since I made those 8 months ago I've now learned to make them even better. I try to just accept they are ok as they are, but it drives me nuts If I leave them be.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
hun3

Post by hun3 »

chh997 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:46 pm The Valley The Old Farm was basically only map I used with northern Sweden GEO. Everything was spot on in this map for me. Spring was time for planting, summer for making hay and silage and fall for harvest. In winter I loved the fact that I'm able to clear the snow from all of the roads and do forestry.

Would love to see this map in Fs22, even tho it's not the same with current seasons settings and features.

This map with the seasons is the reason why I'm thinking going back to Fs19.
This :this:
The_man_dustin20

Post by The_man_dustin20 »

Yes same with bring the counsol version more pallets to like 200 to like be able to fill up a water house
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

I adored Hazzard County in FS19
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

BulletBill wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:11 am I understand about being nostalgic about old maps which I get to a point as there are a few maps over the years I have enjoyed thoroughly, however what I can never work out is how players are able to ignore how dated these maps are now.

Every map mentioned in this thread uses very outdated models, poor model textures, and while at the time of release they were ok, time has moved on and what is achievable with model and texture quality is far better now.

I can't even bear to even look at my old maps as the models and textures look so bad. I'm curious as to why this doesn't bother a lot of players.

I see the same attitude in most of the Fs22 maps released so far, outdated models with poor textures, bad scaling and just poor map construction. How does this not kill your enjoyment?
Hi Bill,

I suspect you might be missing the point of why most players play FarmSim - we don't play for photorealism or latest-gen graphics (if we did that, we wouldn't even start FarmSim) - we play to enjoy ourselves and for each player there are certain map geographies that hit the target. We can forgive older poor resolution buildings as long as they fit the location for the map - dropping a US red plank barn into Calmsden would completely ruin the immersion for example, but the Elm Creek Garyson gas station (less the big name on the roof) would not be out of place on a main road outside of the village on Calmsden. Similarly, the huge production and buy/sell points on Elm Creek do not fit on UK maps or even some American maps - imagine Elm Creek's southern or railroad crossing silo complexes alongside the spinnery on Lone Oak?

It's all about style and suitability, not model image quality ... This may be far more true for Brits because of our many historical locations in any area of the country and our extremely strict planning and building regulatory systems. I suspect many rural mainland Europeans feel the same way.

For me as a Brit, I love the UK style maps with narrowish lanes (as long as they're not unrealistically overdone or too narrowed) and rolling or hilly landscapes (even the northern part of Griffin Indiana is too flat for me), which is why I like UK maps like Six Ashes, Gatehead, West Newton, and Greenlands, as well as US maps like Lone Oak.

I don't enjoy and don't really want to play mostly snooker-table-flat maps like Stone Valley, East Vineland, Griffin, or even Elm Creek ... can you tell I'm not a flat earther? Although, I admit I have enjoyed using them to learn the big equipments and what they can do. Pioneer maps like No Man's Land and Calm Lands are about as flat as I can handle from a personal preference point of view. But I emphasise that this point is personal preference.

Hope this helps you understand how some of us approach our preferences for Farm Sim?
My FarmSim farms on YouTube - Gazbeard
My FarmSim farms on Twitch - TheGazbeard
Kimpak

Post by Kimpak »

I suspect since you made the maps yourself, you might be tempted to focus on all the flaws that you see. But other players probably never notice.

Another thing is you are privy to the knowledge of what CAN be done with the creation tools at your disposal. Folks like me who don't even know what we don't know about how to make a mod, don't really miss what we can't see.

Now if someone were to come out with a blockbuster of a map that just absolutely blew everything else away and really showcased what FS22 can do. Well...now we have a bar that's set a bit higher.

On top of that a map doesn't have to be perfect in everyway to be fun. Lone Oak for instance, for me wasn't about how good the textures were. For me its just the way the whole map flows overall. I know its based on a real farm so I'm sure that helps.

Slightly off topic, but it still blows me away that nobody has managed to do an Iowa based map that actually feels/looks like Iowa. MRG has done some great work but his is all off mod-hub so not very widely known. Makes me wish I had the time and skills to make one.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Thanks both I appreciate your feedback. It's interesting to see what matters to different players and why it matters.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Dan279

Post by Dan279 »

For me it's old stream farm that tickles my pickle. BsM changed just enough for it to feel kinda newish, but kept all the good map landmarks to keep the old style field of the fs19 version.

AJfarmer did a brilliant job on the new version of Griffin, he aswell managed to bring something new to an old map, and it feels like coming home, seeing as i used to play it on fs19.

One map that I would love to revisit in a new fs22 version is bucks county.
Just another guy playing farm sim, at least until I'm allowed to go back to work.

Playing on Xbox Series x : Griffin Indiana 22
Dan279

Post by Dan279 »

TheGazbeard wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:59 pm I've been thinking about the maps I loved the most in FS19 that I'd like to see ported through to FS22 - some because of the general map layout, appearance, etc. and some because of the new playability and possibilities that the new crops and production chains could bring to them. So here's a few ...

Greenlands, No Man's Land, and Stone Valley, (links at bottom of post) have already been ported - all of which I played a lot in FS19 and am currently doing so again in FS22. (I'm loving the map extension to Greenlands).

New Lands (v1.0 pre-railway inclusion) by @GWENDAL https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
I never really got on with the v2 edit that added the train as I felt it spoiled the frontier feel of the map (although the addition of the better sized map edge land plots was good). The original version was my favourite by a long country mile and I spent a lot of time streaming from it on Twitch as well as hundreds of hours playing it offline. I'd love to see the v1.0 of New Lands in FS22, and would happily donate towards Gwendal's time for the conversion provided it was a straight port without lots of unneccesary additions or edits (obviously the BGA would need swapped out for an FS22 compliant one).

Six Ashes by @GBModding https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
I have thousands of hours on this map with both single and multiplayer, and with mild custom edits of the map in Giants Editor (mainly extra gates and some tree removal around the starter farm, but also a few small terrain edits to suit my playthrough). It was without doubt one of the best three UK maps in FS19.

West Newton Farm by @NM_Modding https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
Another farm that kept me very busy offline and in livestreams and the one that was most loved by my Twitch viewers. There's nothing that needs changed on this map at all other than updating the productions/sell points to FS22 compatibility.

Lone Oak by @BulletBill / @OxygenDavid https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
Another map that I have hundreds of hours playing ... probably the highest hour-count on a single playthrough for me. I guess that says it all? This was my go-to map for Autodrive and Course Play learning. I still don't use GPS or Follow Me - one day I'll learn how to use them.

Washoe Nevada by @ALiEN_JiM https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
A fun map that is screaming out to have the FS22 production chains added at the side of that main highway.

Gatehead Farm by @MJ_Modding.
This map I got from the FS19 modhub, but it disappeared about a month after it arrived there - I started a youtube series with this map, but the missing straw triggers in the cow barns and pig pens stopped play after 10 or 12 episodes. I communicated with MJ for almost a year about fixing them, but an update never appeared before FS22 arrived. I'd love to see a fixed version of this map in FS22 (it's almost a perfect generic representation of my home area in the UK).

Maps already ported from 19 to 22 -

FS22 Greenlands https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2022
FS22 No Man's Land https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2022
FS22 Stone Valley https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2022

You'll be happy to know New lands by Gwendal, is coming back, he's putting the finishing touches to it and should be sending it for testing really soon.
Just another guy playing farm sim, at least until I'm allowed to go back to work.

Tranceformer81

Post by Tranceformer81 »

Dan279 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:46 pm

Unlikely to happen. TNT Modding, who made Bucks County quit modding last year for personal/family reasons.

Only way we will see it on FS22 is if another modder converts it with TNT's permission.
Dan279

Post by Dan279 »

Tranceformer81 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:43 pm
Dan279 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:46 pm

Unlikely to happen. TNT Modding, who made Bucks County quit modding last year for personal/family reasons.

Only way we will see it on FS22 is if another modder converts it with TNT's permission.
I loved that map, but I understand, irl stuff comes first.

Farming Pixels

Post by Farming Pixels »

Has to be Meadowgrove Farm for me. I don't always have time to play long sessions, and so I like small maps where I can play for an hour and feel like I got something done.
Feirmeoir Eireannach

Post by Feirmeoir Eireannach »

You might be glad to know that Meadow Grove will be making a return soon, Nathan is currently working on a new extended version which looks even better than the previous one.
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

Dan279 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:48 pm
TheGazbeard wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:59 pm I've been thinking about the maps I loved the most in FS19 that I'd like to see ported through to FS22 - some because of the general map layout, appearance, etc. and some because of the new playability and possibilities that the new crops and production chains could bring to them. So here's a few ...

Greenlands, No Man's Land, and Stone Valley, (links at bottom of post) have already been ported - all of which I played a lot in FS19 and am currently doing so again in FS22. (I'm loving the map extension to Greenlands).

New Lands (v1.0 pre-railway inclusion) by @GWENDAL https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
I never really got on with the v2 edit that added the train as I felt it spoiled the frontier feel of the map (although the addition of the better sized map edge land plots was good). The original version was my favourite by a long country mile and I spent a lot of time streaming from it on Twitch as well as hundreds of hours playing it offline. I'd love to see the v1.0 of New Lands in FS22, and would happily donate towards Gwendal's time for the conversion provided it was a straight port without lots of unneccesary additions or edits (obviously the BGA would need swapped out for an FS22 compliant one).

Six Ashes by @GBModding https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
I have thousands of hours on this map with both single and multiplayer, and with mild custom edits of the map in Giants Editor (mainly extra gates and some tree removal around the starter farm, but also a few small terrain edits to suit my playthrough). It was without doubt one of the best three UK maps in FS19.

West Newton Farm by @NM_Modding https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
Another farm that kept me very busy offline and in livestreams and the one that was most loved by my Twitch viewers. There's nothing that needs changed on this map at all other than updating the productions/sell points to FS22 compatibility.

Lone Oak by @BulletBill / @OxygenDavid https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
Another map that I have hundreds of hours playing ... probably the highest hour-count on a single playthrough for me. I guess that says it all? This was my go-to map for Autodrive and Course Play learning. I still don't use GPS or Follow Me - one day I'll learn how to use them.

Washoe Nevada by @ALiEN_JiM https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
A fun map that is screaming out to have the FS22 production chains added at the side of that main highway.

Gatehead Farm by @MJ_Modding.
This map I got from the FS19 modhub, but it disappeared about a month after it arrived there - I started a youtube series with this map, but the missing straw triggers in the cow barns and pig pens stopped play after 10 or 12 episodes. I communicated with MJ for almost a year about fixing them, but an update never appeared before FS22 arrived. I'd love to see a fixed version of this map in FS22 (it's almost a perfect generic representation of my home area in the UK).

Maps already ported from 19 to 22 -

FS22 Greenlands https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2022
FS22 No Man's Land https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2022
FS22 Stone Valley https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2022

You'll be happy to know New lands by Gwendal, is coming back, he's putting the finishing touches to it and should be sending it for testing really soon.
That's great news Dan - many thanks.

Do you know if he's taken the railway back out? That really ruined the map for me and the pre-railway version was far better to play on.
My FarmSim farms on YouTube - Gazbeard
My FarmSim farms on Twitch - TheGazbeard