Question about the new animal grazing mod

hun3

Question about the new animal grazing mod

Post by hun3 »

Finally a mod for my huge cattle ranch operations...except it doesn't work on Western Wilds and Elk Mountain. Tried everything...the mod does work as intended on vanilla maps.

So what's the problem...what xml do I need to edit? Can anyone help?

Thanks
DMZ Commander

Re: Question about the new animal grazing mod

Post by DMZ Commander »

Did you paint meadow grass into the pen or is it the default deco grass from when you placed it down?
PC Master Race
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Z590 Godlike
i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64GB Ram
x2 2TB SSD
Oddyssey Neo G9
hun3

Post by hun3 »

DMZ Commander wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:31 pm Did you paint meadow grass into the pen or is it the default deco grass from when you placed it down?
I painted the grass I also tried on planted grass field. The animals wont get fed. Also removed all other mods. My guess is somehow those mod maps have a setting that prevents the grazing mod to work.

On the Elk mountain the cows dont even have the grass feeding options, its silage hay and grain might be the problem there.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

hun3 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:47 pm Finally a mod for my huge cattle ranch operations...except it doesn't work on Western Wilds and Elk Mountain. Tried everything...the mod does work as intended on vanilla maps.

So what's the problem...what xml do I need to edit? Can anyone help?

Thanks
You need to have a look and see if the foliage area is defined in the pasture. Checkout Disturbed Simulations on YouTube he has a good video on how too add it in, I'm no expert in GE but it toook me about 5 minutes to do it.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

How is this mod? They just got our internet wires fixed today and I have my eye on it. Other than not working with certain mod pastures, does it work as intended? I would love to have my sheep graze in the summer. The only thing we add for our horses in the summer is oat for the nutrients. Otherwise those big fools have a 50 acre buffet with like 3 different species of grass because southern illinois is flipping weird. We only bring in the big hay bales for them when the weather starts to turn and the grass dies off.
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

The lack of grazing is something that annoyed me on FS17 (until Grazing Mod from Realimus) and on FS19 (until Seasons 19 from Realimus) so I'me very pleased to see it back.

It seems to work pretty well -- on Somerset Farm the sheep pen has three foliage areas defined, but all as zero area. The grass area is L-shaped, so I reworked two to cover the grass. After a month or so -- 3 days in my case -- one foliage area is getting cut down and the other not touched, so I'm waiting to see if the second one is used after the first one is exhausted. If not, it might be that I need to make just one big rectangular area.

I am using it with the new Maize Plus, as the grazing mod says, the standard feed/eating rate in FS22 is far too low and Mazie Plus helps with that.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
hun3

Post by hun3 »

PrincessJessi84 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:30 pm How is this mod? They just got our internet wires fixed today and I have my eye on it. Other than not working with certain mod pastures, does it work as intended? I would love to have my sheep graze in the summer. The only thing we add for our horses in the summer is oat for the nutrients. Otherwise those big fools have a 50 acre buffet with like 3 different species of grass because southern illinois is flipping weird. We only bring in the big hay bales for them when the weather starts to turn and the grass dies off.
I like it especially if you are planning a free range cattle operation. It is similar we had in 19...a few things I noticed one of them somehow the mod doesn't work on some mod maps still investigating but its fine on vanilla maps. Also not sure if the mod restrict the grass feeding for months when grass actually growing? I hope this is how it will work but I haven't played with it long enough. Hopefully it will be implemented with real life numbers mod and then it will be perfection.
NVillers86

Post by NVillers86 »

@hun3 what norfolk stated above is the issue. I worked on defining the foliage area for all Elk Mountain's animal placeables last night and everything is working as it should now. Most of the placeables didn't have any foliage area defined at all. I would assume the grazing mod is still going to feed in the winter if there is still grass. I know everything stops growing for a couple of months, but the growth state doesn't go to zero if grass is full grown before winter. If your larger herd eats everything before winter I think it will be simulated properly!
MAC/PC Version
bob_likes_tea

Post by bob_likes_tea »

NVillers86 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:00 pm @hun3 what norfolk stated above is the issue. I worked on defining the foliage area for all Elk Mountain's animal placeables last night and everything is working as it should now. Most of the placeables didn't have any foliage area defined at all. I would assume the grazing mod is still going to feed in the winter if there is still grass. I know everything stops growing for a couple of months, but the growth state doesn't go to zero if grass is full grown before winter. If your larger herd eats everything before winter I think it will be simulated properly!
Would you mind talking through the steps you took to get the open pasture working please? I have amended the foliage area in GE as per Disturbds yt tutorial, and add the I3D mapping at the bottom of the XML as i saw this was missing, but my cows are still hungry!

Cheers!
chaseydog

Post by chaseydog »

bob_likes_tea wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:00 pm
NVillers86 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:00 pm @hun3 what norfolk stated above is the issue. I worked on defining the foliage area for all Elk Mountain's animal placeables last night and everything is working as it should now. Most of the placeables didn't have any foliage area defined at all. I would assume the grazing mod is still going to feed in the winter if there is still grass. I know everything stops growing for a couple of months, but the growth state doesn't go to zero if grass is full grown before winter. If your larger herd eats everything before winter I think it will be simulated properly!
Would you mind talking through the steps you took to get the open pasture working please? I have amended the foliage area in GE as per Disturbds yt tutorial, and add the I3D mapping at the bottom of the XML as i saw this was missing, but my cows are still hungry!

Cheers!
What type of grass is growing in the pasture. If it’s deco grass you will need to paint meadow grass using the in game landscape tool or plow the pasture and plant grass. Fixing the foliage areas only addresses one of the issues with many mod maps. Painting over the deco grass will address the other.
bob_likes_tea

Post by bob_likes_tea »

You may be on to something here - the Elk mountain pasture doesn't paint anything, it just keeps whatever terrain you place it on, so I tried placing it on existing meadow grass. I will try and figure out how to make it paint it's own grass and see if that works. Thanks

I did have good success with the Legacy Ag Dairy barn - like you said that just needed meadow grass painting in the pasture area and it worked straight off.

Cheers
902elements

Post by 902elements »

I got this working on EM for the first season but the grass does not seem to grow back after winter. Stuck on Stage 1 growth. Anyone else have this issue?
Dusan011

Post by Dusan011 »

Is there a way to put maedow in xlm file of some cow barn instead decoFoliage="grassShort" can i put something like decoFoliage="meadow"?