Drying hay takes some time...

gile

Drying hay takes some time...

Post by gile »

With FS19 and Seasons, one of the best features was, that it took some time for the grass to dry enough to become hay. It really ment the weather played a big role: having a few rainy days in a row: no hay. So, after my first big mod request released (crop rotation by bodzio), here's my second humble request: please, can someone mod the hay to actually dry up in sunny weather for a day or two?

Thank you all.
Beanbrother

Re: Drying hay takes some time...

Post by Beanbrother »

You’re not the only person in the form that has requested/complained about how dull the version of seasons is in 22.
I read once that some players found it too difficult. I guess they simply want to plant harvest repeat.
Eische

Post by Eische »

What keeps you from just leaving hay laying on the field for an extended amount of time to simulate the drying process?
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
ajFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

Maize Plus allows for different stages of tedding that simulate the drying stages if you choose, However you can always just do as Eische mentioned and apply your own house rules. No Mod Needed.
Keep in mind that unless your playing 28 day months then tedding once then baling is not that unrealistic due to time compression on say if you play on 3 or 4 days per month and this is coming from someone who plays as realistic as possible.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

Eische wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:35 am What keeps you from just leaving hay laying on the field for an extended amount of time to simulate the drying process?
Yes you could do that.

But I think what made Seasons 19 so good, was that there was always a risk involved. You had to make a plan, and there was always a chance the weather would turn against you and you would lose.

In 22 you can simulate the delays, but you can't simulate the thrill of the risk. (It was the same thing with planting/ seeding and frost).

Seasons 19 made those decisions matter.
gile

Post by gile »

That's the point Crows. That's whats missing.
Beanbrother

Post by Beanbrother »

StoneTheCrows wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:25 am
Eische wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:35 am What keeps you from just leaving hay laying on the field for an extended amount of time to simulate the drying process?
Yes you could do that.

But I think what made Seasons 19 so good, was that there was always a risk involved. You had to make a plan, and there was always a chance the weather would turn against you and you would lose.

In 22 you can simulate the delays, but you can't simulate the thrill of the risk. (It was the same thing with planting/ seeding and frost).

Seasons 19 made those decisions matter.

HEY GIANTS……… ARE YOU LISTENING
Honkyfarmer_v1010

Post by Honkyfarmer_v1010 »

I agree. Sometimes it was annoying my first year, seemed I always lost some volume from rain rotting etc, But I think if theres an option to disable nobody can complain. The weather influence on crops and cleaning up after animals needs re implemented into FS
FTF
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

ajFarmer wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:55 am Maize Plus allows for different stages of tedding that simulate the drying stages if you choose, However you can always just do as Eische mentioned and apply your own house rules. No Mod Needed.
Keep in mind that unless your playing 28 day months then tedding once then baling is not that unrealistic due to time compression on say if you play on 3 or 4 days per month and this is coming from someone who plays as realistic as possible.
I wouldn't call it unrealistic. I make 4 to 5 crops a year and don't own a Tedder. Only have had to ted twice in the last 30 years. If it is sunny you only need 1 to 2 days to dry, rake and bale. My biggest complaint for maize plus is requiring the amount of tedding. To me that's way too much, but that is probably what they do in Europe.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
ajFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

@Illinois Farmer-
Not sure if you were agreeing or misread my statement, but what you mentioned is was what I was implying.
Maize Plus your not required to ted that much you can play just like base game and ted once. You select how you want to do it before tedding with Y key on controller
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

If thats what you meant then i agree. Not agreeing with your statement of this though said " ted once and baling is not realistic," I disagree. You shouldn't even have to ted once to make hay. Your time restraint would go the other way as well. If you played 28 days, you should have to wait 1-2 days. If you compresed to 9 days, then you should only have to wait 1 at the most. In 19, maize plus has you ted 3-4 times to make hay. That's unrealistic to me, but I'd probably how they do it in europe. Maybe they changed that in 22, I don't use it because I didn't like it.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Bocephus80

Post by Bocephus80 »

Weather is one of the biggest factors in farming. I never understood why giants did not put more of an emphasis on this. Seasons in FS 19 was all about the planning. I remember one time on Stone Valley I lost millions of dollars worth of soy beans because the crop moisture would not come down enough for me to harvest before winter set in. It was a big disappointment but I loved it just the same. It’s all about the challenge. It’s not fun if you win all the time
PS4Pro
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:08 pm
I wouldn't call it unrealistic. I make 4 to 5 crops a year and don't own a Tedder. Only have had to ted twice in the last 30 years. If it is sunny you only need 1 to 2 days to dry, rake and bale. My biggest complaint for maize plus is requiring the amount of tedding. To me that's way too much, but that is probably what they do in Europe.
I guess it's an area thing as most time here in the UK it is multiple times for hay and normally at least once for silage. As AJ pointed out if the rest of maize plus interests you and it was only the tedding putting you of it then the 22 version takes care of that now in giving the option on how you want to do things in that respect. It is a mod well worth checking out in your playstyle includes livestock.
Burekcina

Post by Burekcina »

norfolk farmer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:13 pm
I guess it's an area thing as most time here in the UK it is multiple times for hay and normally at least once for silage. As AJ pointed out if the rest of maize plus interests you and it was only the tedding putting you of it then the 22 version takes care of that now in giving the option on how you want to do things in that respect. It is a mod well worth checking out in your playstyle includes livestock.
I think you are missing the point of the topic. Weather has no impact on anything in FS and it has a giant impact on everything in real life. Farming aspect of the farming simulator is implemented poorly to say the least. There is no risk in FS games and it gets boring really fast.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Burekcina wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:20 pm
norfolk farmer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:13 pm
I think you are missing the point of the topic. Weather has no impact on anything in FS and it has a giant impact on everything in real life. Farming aspect of the farming simulator is implemented poorly to say the least. There is no risk in FS games and it gets boring really fast.
No I was not missing the point I was commenting on the real life aspect and confirming what maize plus does now. I do not disagree that Giants version of "seasonal cycles" is lacking in many aspects compared to seasons the mod which we had previously, I realise Giants wanted to keep things simpler for the casual player but for me I wish we had the option for a more complex version by selecting options like they have for stones, ploughing etc being required or not.
We are where we are and I doubt things will change unless a modder does something.