The Giant Sequoia: aka Giant Ripoff

SimpleFarmer

The Giant Sequoia: aka Giant Ripoff

Post by SimpleFarmer »

The first tree I harvested was a giant sequoia thinking with how large they were I would make a decent return. It took forever to cut all the limbs off, and then each of the 4 pieces I cut it into were so heavy the loader could hardly lift it. I could only bring 2 pieces at a time because they took up the whole log trailer. Then when I finally got it to the mill it was only 2800L of wood for the whole thing. For reference, usually a load of logs that heavy is at least 10,000L. I need to do some better calculations but the short story here is that the giant sequoias are giant ripoffs.
PrinceJesus84

Re: The Giant Sequoia: aka Giant Ripoff

Post by PrinceJesus84 »

Maybe it's one of those release as is, and fix it later kind of things they like to do.
crash

Post by crash »

They have pretty clearly stated that they are not to be chopped down..
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
Ffermwyr Cymru

Post by Ffermwyr Cymru »

It's a deterrent to stop you cutting them down
FS15,17,19,22 ps4
Fs19,22 laptop
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

crash wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:06 am They have pretty clearly stated that they are not to be chopped down..
Who stated? And where?
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

IceUul wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:24 am
crash wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:06 am They have pretty clearly stated that they are not to be chopped down..
Who stated? And where?
In a blog post. The tree species is endangered irl and they want you to plant this tree in order to repopulate the forest but they dont want you to cut it down. I guess they are trying to raise awareness about this tree species.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Here is the link to said blogpost
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
The FarmSim Guy

Post by The FarmSim Guy »

Nothing beats doing a bit of research first.
Check out my channel https://www.youtube.com/c/thefarmsimguy on YouTube
Honkyfarmer_v1010

Post by Honkyfarmer_v1010 »

The FarmSim Guy wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:15 am Nothing beats doing a bit of research first.
You think that's such a smart answer to these problems. But as someone who has introduced this game to 3 ppl I know personally, this is a big pain in the rear. Giants does a horrible job of explaining facets of the game to those who dont follow blogpost' or the forum. I am constantly answering questions to help these folks who have played from 3 months to 3 years.
FTF
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

Honkyfarmer_v1010 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:11 pm
The FarmSim Guy wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:15 am Nothing beats doing a bit of research first.
You think that's such a smart answer to these problems. But as someone who has introduced this game to 3 ppl I know personally, this is a big pain in the rear. Giants does a horrible job of explaining facets of the game to those who dont follow blogpost' or the forum. I am constantly answering questions to help these folks who have played from 3 months to 3 years.
Agree blogposts are not the proper way to share this info. Ingame help should be provided with these information
Motologist

Post by Motologist »

SimpleFarmer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:14 am The first tree I harvested was a giant sequoia thinking with how large they were I would make a decent return. It took forever to cut all the limbs off, and then each of the 4 pieces I cut it into were so heavy the loader could hardly lift it. I could only bring 2 pieces at a time because they took up the whole log trailer. Then when I finally got it to the mill it was only 2800L of wood for the whole thing. For reference, usually a load of logs that heavy is at least 10,000L. I need to do some better calculations but the short story here is that the giant sequoias are giant ripoffs.
Here's the realworld context: Giants added the Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum), which is too brittle for use as lumber. When they were cut down in the 1880's, most were turned into toothpicks and shingles because they would shatter when felled. They have near zero value as lumber, as Giants correctly modeled. The problem is: Giants have modeled a part of the PNW where Giant Sequoias aren't native, but its relative the Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) does. The Coast Redwood is highly sought after for its lumber and is just sturdy enough to not explode when cut by a good faller with good aim. On top of this, they modeled their "Giant Sequioa" to look more like a Coast Redwood than it does the real Giant Sequioas of the Sierra Nevada.

Just plant the Lodgepole of Ponderosa pines and you'll have a much better time.
PrinceJesus84

Post by PrinceJesus84 »

It makes perfect sense to sell a forestry DLC that introduces a new tree, that you aren't supposed to cut....to them.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

Motologist wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:59 pm
SimpleFarmer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:14 am The first tree I harvested was a giant sequoia thinking with how large they were I would make a decent return. It took forever to cut all the limbs off, and then each of the 4 pieces I cut it into were so heavy the loader could hardly lift it. I could only bring 2 pieces at a time because they took up the whole log trailer. Then when I finally got it to the mill it was only 2800L of wood for the whole thing. For reference, usually a load of logs that heavy is at least 10,000L. I need to do some better calculations but the short story here is that the giant sequoias are giant ripoffs.
Here's the realworld context: Giants added the Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum), which is too brittle for use as lumber. When they were cut down in the 1880's, most were turned into toothpicks and shingles because they would shatter when felled. They have near zero value as lumber, as Giants correctly modeled. The problem is: Giants have modeled a part of the PNW where Giant Sequoias aren't native, but its relative the Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) does. The Coast Redwood is highly sought after for its lumber and is just sturdy enough to not explode when cut by a good faller with good aim. On top of this, they modeled their "Giant Sequioa" to look more like a Coast Redwood than it does the real Giant Sequioas of the Sierra Nevada.

Just plant the Lodgepole of Ponderosa pines and you'll have a much better time.
Thank you, this is very helpful. Makes me feel better about the terrible returns I got. On the property I purchased the sequoias are anything but endangered, I think I'll sell it and buy a different plot. I'm pretty excited about the lodgepole, very tall, and mostly excited about the addition of a few log loaders finally. Thanks for the reply.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

From the blog post:

They're endangered and have been cultivated beyond their native habitats. They are not supposed to be chopped down but a great choice for reforestation.

Let me get this straight. Giants wants me to:
  • spend several 100K to buy the land
  • clear cut it
  • replant it in a tree that is less valuable, that is also hard to harvest and a pallet of giant sequoia is the most expensive sapling pallet
  • get no reward for replanting other than "the feels"
What happens in actual forest management, assuming they want the species to never be harvested
  • the government/public decides it wants to promote a certain policy, plant more of X
  • tax incentives are given to for planting the tree (pallets should be free)
  • land typically ends up as a state/national park (land should be able to be sold back for some multiplier if is it all giant sequoia)
  • land stays protected "forever" (land cannot be rebought)
  • at the same time, if the goal is to have more volume and not "forever" growth, then the tree would be harvested a manageable size, even if used for paper. It has the same growth rate as pine, so no reason it can't be useable as smaller sizes for timber products (should be manageable to harvest mid-growth stage, say 5 years, with regular equipment; allowing to go to 7+ years gets the huge unmanageable trees.)
I can tell you want is going to happen in my game. I'm going to clear cut that trash tree and replant with lodgepole pine or similar high value tree.
Honkyfarmer_v1010

Post by Honkyfarmer_v1010 »

Heck yeah!!! Lol
FTF