The Giant Sequoia: aka Giant Ripoff

Sneaks

Re: The Giant Sequoia: aka Giant Ripoff

Post by Sneaks »

scenicwonders.com/california-redwood-trees
Just a little info on them.. You really need to see them in real life then you will appreciate them....
Facts About California Redwood Trees
Giant Sequoias are commonly considered the largest living things on Earth, due to the fact they are the tallest and are the biggest in width.
Giant Sequoias only grow in California's Sierra Nevada Mountains.
The oldest known giant redwood trees in California are more than 3,000 years old.
The bark of Giant Redwood Trees can be as thick as 4 feet, and helps make them fire resistant. In addition, fires actually help redwoods survive by wiping out smaller trees that would eventually take over.
It is illegal to cut down a giant redwood tree.
The redwood tree's famous concentric circles do indicate the age of the tree, but some the rings are so small they are invisible to the naked eye.
Giant Redwood Trees can grow 1-2 feet per year until the tree reaches 200-300 feet.
Playing TVTOF
playing on a Good Old PS4
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

There are just so many of them on the map, the whole northern 1/3 of the map is crowded with them. Giants should have depicted thier scarcity a little more accurately.
Chawk0823

Post by Chawk0823 »

I don't understand why they wont add in big hardwood timber such as we have here on the eastcoast. A map full of big hickory, walnut, white, red and black oak... Hell even big poplar trees would make me happy! I get that its illegal to cut sequoia's in real life (its also illegal to drive across roads like we do while playing... But that's just it... It's a game... meant to be fun. Don't tease us with giant trees in a logging Simulator that we cant cut! Come on now...
loki_79

Post by loki_79 »

SimpleFarmer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:14 am The first tree I harvested was a giant sequoia thinking with how large they were I would make a decent return. It took forever to cut all the limbs off, and then each of the 4 pieces I cut it into were so heavy the loader could hardly lift it. I could only bring 2 pieces at a time because they took up the whole log trailer. Then when I finally got it to the mill it was only 2800L of wood for the whole thing. For reference, usually a load of logs that heavy is at least 10,000L. I need to do some better calculations but the short story here is that the giant sequoias are giant ripoffs.
I made this for you! https://github.com/loki79uk/FS22_BlackMarket/releases

Please try and let me know if you prefer different values.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

loki_79 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:26 pm
SimpleFarmer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:14 am The first tree I harvested was a giant sequoia thinking with how large they were I would make a decent return. It took forever to cut all the limbs off, and then each of the 4 pieces I cut it into were so heavy the loader could hardly lift it. I could only bring 2 pieces at a time because they took up the whole log trailer. Then when I finally got it to the mill it was only 2800L of wood for the whole thing. For reference, usually a load of logs that heavy is at least 10,000L. I need to do some better calculations but the short story here is that the giant sequoias are giant ripoffs.

This is going to be wonderful! I didn't think you could modify anything to do the the platinum expansion.
I'll try it and see if the values seem right to me. Should be around 20,000 liters per tree I would think...
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

loki_79 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:26 pm
SimpleFarmer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:14 am The first tree I harvested ... but the short story here is that the giant sequoias are giant ripoffs.

It seems good to me. The sequoias are not that easy to get to the sawmill, they have all of those limbs, are super heavy, and often tip the trailer over, so about 30,000 liters for a whole tree seems about right to me. Also, I think based on wieght/mass this works out too. Thanks Loki.
loki_79

Post by loki_79 »

SimpleFarmer wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:31 am It seems good to me. The sequoias are not that easy to get to the sawmill, they have all of those limbs, are super heavy, and often tip the trailer over, so about 30,000 liters for a whole tree seems about right to me. Also, I think based on wieght/mass this works out too. Thanks Loki.
No problem at all!

In the long term I thought it could be used as a mod to tweak other price values, not just wood but other crops, etc. I could add something for deadwood, but I mostly agree with the current settings for that - apart from maybe tweaking the woodchips production or price when sold to be used for burning. Deadwood should be worthless as wood, and the value should be in contracts to clear it out from the otherwise healthy forests.
ausmcbain

Post by ausmcbain »

@loki_79
thanks for the sequoias price change, been trying to figure out a way to add the new trees so they can be planted on other maps, but run into a complete dead end. Any insight?
Hud

Post by Hud »

I’ve been having similar problems and decided that the tree b gone is the only solution, then replanting. I kinda feel bad but it’s a game so they are going.
Wyldesystem

Post by Wyldesystem »

Sneaks wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:02 am scenicwonders.com/california-redwood-trees
Just a little info on them.. You really need to see them in real life then you will appreciate them....
Giant Sequoias are commonly considered the largest living things on Earth, due to the fact they are the tallest and are the biggest in width.
The oldest known giant redwood trees in California are more than 3,000 years old.
The bark of Giant Redwood Trees can be as thick as 4 feet, and helps make them fire resistant. In addition, fires actually help redwoods survive by wiping out smaller trees that would eventually take over.
The redwood tree's famous concentric circles do indicate the age of the tree, but some the rings are so small they are invisible to the naked eye.
Giant Redwood Trees can grow 1-2 feet per year until the tree reaches 200-300 feet.
We have redwoods in Canada......not just in california......
ice_boii_1207

Post by ice_boii_1207 »

Wyldesystem wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:28 am
Sneaks wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:02 am scenicwonders.com/california-redwood-trees
We have redwoods in Canada......not just in california......
Get your country's creddd!
Ice_boii :gamer:
ice_boii_1207

Post by ice_boii_1207 »

I always loved red wood trees. They are soo cool.
Ice_boii :gamer:
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

please read what i posted it says---Giant Sequoias only grow in California's Sierra Nevada Mountains. look it up
Giant sequoia specimens are the most massive trees on Earth. The common use of the name sequoia usually refers to Sequoiadendron giganteum, which occurs naturally only in groves on the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada mountain range of California.
Playing TVTOF
playing on a Good Old PS4
b101uk

Post by b101uk »

while they may originate from the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada mountain range of California, wellingtonia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) can be found all over the place that have been planted over the past 200+ years.

even here in the UK I have felled a few of them that had been planted as ornamental trees over 150 to 200 years ago on estates, that later ended up where towns were built and incorporated into small gardens behind people houses, the tallest one was about ~150ft and was taken down in a garden behind a house built in the 60's, the garden was about 23ft x 30ft and we had to section the tree down.
plays FS15/FS17/FS19/FS22 on PC
:zunge:
Crashmac

Post by Crashmac »

Here is a map of the ones located in British Columbia, and even a giant Sequioa nursery. They may naturally/originally occur only in California but they seem to have been grown succesfully in many other places.

https://vancouverislandbigtrees.blogspo ... a%20Nevada.

https://www.giant-sequoia.com/gallery/canada/