Silverrun - Deadwood is dead loss

TheGazbeard

Silverrun - Deadwood is dead loss

Post by TheGazbeard »

I streamed a launchday lookaround and playaround yesterday for 8.5 hours on the new Silverrun map...

Deadwood trees became a major turnoff for many viewers - because you can't sell them for enough money to cover the fuel to transport them.
At the Old Sawmill I dropped them in the pond and the mill refused to accept them at all. So I had to fish them out using superstrength from the Lumberjack mod and haul them to the southern sawmill, where a 12,000 litre load yielded $278 total sales value (regular wood yielded almost $28,000 or x100 price difference).

I then hauled another 12,000 litre load to the wood turning shop, which I'd bought to produce stair rails for the Rollercoaster, and depositing them there increased the shop's stored wood by the correct volume.

Then, I hauled another load to a mod sawmill I'd placed (Farm Sawmill by The Lort (excellent mod and only costs $10k to place)) and again the stored wood increased by the correct volume.

I tried using the "Firewood log splitter and sell point" mod to gain value on the processed wood, but around 2000 litres chopped yielded under $300 instead of the expected $6,000-ish according to the prices list.

Finally I tried running a load of 12k litres through the Jenz woodchipper (mod) to test that - yield was only 3,900 litres from 12,000 litres of deadwood logs ... and that paid substantially less than listed price when delivered to the hotel (about 10% of the expected price for woodchip as shown on the prices list).

After all of that, and around 3 hours of the stream, I finally finished the 28 deadwood tree clearance contract ... and the contract refused to complete. It shows zero trees remaining to be felled, and 100% progression, but the contract status is still "Active" and I can't get paid for it.

Could the contract non-completion be due to selling/chipping/putting-into-production the felled deadwood before hitting 100%? Could it be because I removed the tree stumps as I went round cutting the trees? Or is it just simply another GIANTS QA fail before release day?

TLDR - Deadwood is pointless other than to fill production points and 3rd-party mod sawmills for processing into non-sawdust/woodchip products.

8.5 hour full unedited Stream VOD here - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1653300910
My FarmSim farms on YouTube - Gazbeard
My FarmSim farms on Twitch - TheGazbeard
Noraf

Re: Silverrun - Deadwood is dead loss

Post by Noraf »

Well, they are easy money still though. All you need is a chainsaw and a few minutes.
Cut then down, and you're done with the job
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
Kimpak

Post by Kimpak »

Fortunately for me I watched Farmer Klein's video on the deadwood missions and he flat out said the wood itself wasn't worth trying to sell. Its more profitable to just leave them on the ground to despawn when you complete the contract.
PrinceJesus84

Post by PrinceJesus84 »

I can see the devs sitting around the table brainstorming what to put in their Logging/Forestry DLC.
Somebody says let's add trees that are worthless.
Everybody else slow clapping at the genius idea.
Peter Griffin

Post by Peter Griffin »

To be fair most dead timber is worth less IRL also.
XBOX/ FS22
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

Are we speaking specifically about the dead wood missions? Cause I've cut dead looking trees and made a killing on them. Forestry is the most profitable thing you can do in farm sim.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Yes, the mission trees are rather worthless, but the contract itself isn't bad money
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
RobH

Post by RobH »

Not only is it a dead loss but at the Old Sawmill I could not even back into the pond to unload my deadwood. Everything locked up solid and had to cancel FS22 to exit the program. Tried with the Volvo BM and a Logging Trailer on a Mack Truck and same thing, they would not go in the water and FS22 locked up solid.

Rob
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

Dead trees are low quality irl you wouldnt got much from them. Their purpose ingame is only to have new contract missions that revolves around cutting dead trees, something that is common irl. So its simple, cut the down complete contract and then they dissapear
Deora

Post by Deora »

maybe they are worth more when you chop them up in woodchips.
FS19 and FS22 on PS4
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

Deora wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:02 pm maybe they are worth more when you chop them up in woodchips.
No, Op has already done a comparision
Gugernoot215

Post by Gugernoot215 »

I'm going to try running deadwood though the firewood processor.
Running on 2 year old new old hardware that used to crash often.
Image server (upload your images here): https://image.giants-software.com/
Gugernoot215

Post by Gugernoot215 »

Deadwood sold to sawmill - $309
Gugernoot215

Post by Gugernoot215 »

Deadwood run though firewood processor large diamiter pieces split into 4, small bit into 2 - $470 (sold at sale point included with mod)
A 65% increase in value of otherwise useless resource, good enough.
Gonna run one though a chipper whole.
Gugernoot215

Post by Gugernoot215 »

The whole tree yielded 23l of wood chips.