Mod Update limits

Lazarus99

Mod Update limits

Post by Lazarus99 »

I'm not going to throw any modders in particular under the bus because I don't want to give the good one's bad rap. But I think it's about time they set some limits or time gaps between updates for mods. I feel like certain maps and mods keep getting random uninspiring updates *censored* up testing time for the sake of mod bumping on the mod hub. Mostly it's the maps I keep seeing a couple of maps routinely on the testing list and getting updates . I get a hot fix immediately after release because someone finds an issue but within the 1st month most stuff is either good to go or it's gonna take them some time and then they do it right but some of these other ones seems like every other week they're back on the testing list and out with a new update.
punchi

Re: Mod Update limits

Post by punchi »

There is a limit of 2 weeks before you can submit another update. If the problems arent gamebreaking
Lazarus99

Post by Lazarus99 »

Yeah that's fine for after the initial release but after so many updates it should be longer. How much time is taken up each time a map mod is tested and times that by 9 for the one map I saw being tested. As far as I know nothing substantial has been added the AI workers still don't drive anywhere ,what's the point after so many. I feel like it's a way of bumping ones mods to the top of the release roster to get more exposure or else they need to step back and take a longer break and have one major update. This happened in 19 too. Westbridge hills had umpteen updates....
crash

Post by crash »

Newly submitted mods ond updates go thru two diffrent queues at giants
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
Lazarus99

Post by Lazarus99 »

Noraf

Post by Noraf »

How many mods do you have on the modhub?
Just curious.....
Personally I have none, as I don't want to go trough the process, yet atleast, but might change in the future.
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

Are we happy to even have mods at all? What's with the increasing cravings of mods, like it's a primary need such as food? :search:

Let's see.. You don't want to throw any modders under the bus. Yet you address modders as a whole, when you're actually just angry at Giants for not adheering to your ideas of how they should run the mod QA process. :hmm:

I'm a modder. I'm a human. I make mistakes. Some times I don't see the mistake until someone's tried the mod after it has been tested, approved and released on ModHub.

Guess what; testers also make mistakes. But they also trust that I'm happy with what I have submitted, so if things don't have a glaring obvious visual fault, they won't pick up on it. They look for mostly technical issues which may break your game if they let it through. And I dare bet you'd make a rant about that, should it happen.

Take a step back. Appreciate the fact that hundreds if not thousands of modders spend their spare time doing this for a number of reasons such as it being for fun, to learn, for free, all for you, your friends and others to enjoy.

How long does it take to make a mod? Depends. Anythin from 20 minutes to 20 months. Or more.. What do we get for it? Hardly a "thank you". It happens, but it's rare.

So why do we keep on making mods? Because it is, at least in my case, an escape from my daily life, a way to practice my skills and learn the tools of tomorrow. I just happen to share the mods with you lot, regardless of what you feel for the Giants mod QA team and their process, because I think my mods could potentially enhance your experience of the game.

Routing back to the original topic; I think this is something between Giants and you. Not the modders.
PrinceJesus84

Post by PrinceJesus84 »

Perhaps Giants should follow suit with the mobile app stores. An app/game will only appear in the New Release section once in it's life. Updates don't change its standing with regards to new releases.

@Noraf, I believe the OPs concern is with the mods that take advantage of the release system are wasting time that could be dedicated to new mods.
PrinceJesus84

Post by PrinceJesus84 »

olahaldor wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:01 pm
Are we happy to even have mods at all? What's with the increasing cravings of mods, like it's a primary need such as food? :search:

Let's see.. You don't want to throw any modders under the bus. Yet you address modders as a whole, when you're actually just angry at Giants for not adheering to your ideas of how they should run the mod QA process. :hmm:

I'm a modder. I'm a human. I make mistakes. Some times I don't see the mistake until someone's tried the mod after it has been tested, approved and released on ModHub.

Guess what; testers also make mistakes. But they also trust that I'm happy with what I have submitted, so if things don't have a glaring obvious visual fault, they won't pick up on it. They look for mostly technical issues which may break your game if they let it through. And I dare bet you'd make a rant about that, should it happen.

Take a step back. Appreciate the fact that hundreds if not thousands of modders spend their spare time doing this for a number of reasons such as it being for fun, to learn, for free, all for you, your friends and others to enjoy.

How long does it take to make a mod? Depends. Anythin from 20 minutes to 20 months. Or more.. What do we get for it? Hardly a "thank you". It happens, but it's rare.

So why do we keep on making mods? Because it is, at least in my case, an escape from my daily life, a way to practice my skills and learn the tools of tomorrow. I just happen to share the mods with you lot, regardless of what you feel for the Giants mod QA team and their process, because I think my mods could potentially enhance your experience of the game.

Routing back to the original topic; I think this is something between Giants and you. Not the modders.
His message IS about Giants, not the modders.
"But I think it's about time they set some limits or time gaps between updates for mods"
He was saying that certain mods continue to appear in the testing list, possibly to bump themselves to the top of the release list.

IMO, if a mod constantly appears in the testing list, and its not about staying at the top of the release list, then there is some serious technical challenge, and perhaps that modding should take a step back and find something less complicated.
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

The default is you cannot *submit* an update for two weeks.
When you submit the update it ends up in the queue. It may still take a couple days, or weeks, until they test the mod update.
Lazarus99

Post by Lazarus99 »

I was being serious I mean I just think it gets a little out of control with the amount of updates.
I still maintain I am not being critical of majority of the modders so unless you're on version 10 Of a mod and majority of those updates are textures and miscellaneous issues this doesn't apply to you. Like after version 4 you should have to show significant progress . I don't care how many updates somebody has to their mods but look at 82 studios he releases something he fixes something and then he has a gap and there's significant progress and additions to that mod and it gets released again. Griffin indiana same thing. Fixes additions and done.