XML files being overwritten and reverted to original

tutty29

XML files being overwritten and reverted to original

Post by tutty29 »

A recent firmware update to my racing wheel caused FS19 to recognize it as ThrustmasterTX, instead of ThrustmasterTXFerarri, as such it caused all of the button mapping got all screwy (the game now thinks the X button is the Y button, B is Start, etc.). I was able to go into the InputDevices folder and edit the ThrustmasterTX xml file to properly recognize the buttons on my wheel, so problem solved. Except now whenever I fire up the game for the first time after a computer restart, the xml files all update and revert to the original file, requiring me to re-edit the file to recognize my buttons.

I'm not sure if this is a FS19 thing, or a Steam thing (verifying and repairing the files on startup or something). I've checked settings within Steam and haven't found anything that indicates it would be doing so. I've noticed (by date modified in the file explorer) that it is also overwriting the game.xml file as well, so I keep losing my console commands too.

Any ideas how to stop it from overwriting these edited files? I've tried setting the files to Read Only, but they still get overwritten.
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Re: XML files being overwritten and reverted to original

Post by Stegei »

The files in "inputDevices" are periodically overwritten with the latest settings from our server.
If you want to manually change the settings, you can copy the xml and put it in "inputDevicesManual". Those have priority over the other ones and are never touched by the game.
tutty29

Re: XML files being overwritten and reverted to original

Post by tutty29 »

Stegei wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:12 pm The files in "inputDevices" are periodically overwritten with the latest settings from our server.
If you want to manually change the settings, you can copy the xml and put it in "inputDevicesManual". Those have priority over the other ones and are never touched by the game.
Awesome, thanks! Should I leave the file name the same in the inputDevicesManual folder?